Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 575235 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #1740 on: January 19, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
Definitely push for more they put you through a mess
+1
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline bigbadmoish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: January 19, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
I'm a little confused... Even w/o the mess what's the problem to ask for a discount? You aren't misguiding anyone in any way shape or form... If you want to pay less for something just ask.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: January 19, 2015, 11:08:51 AM »
If you want to pay less for something just ask.
How does that work? If I buy a 200 GC from Staples I just tell them that is to much and they lower the price?

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1743 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
How does that work? If I buy a 200 GC from Staples I just tell them that is to much and they lower the price?
Doesn't hurt to ask... :P

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: January 19, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
you can try.... I doubt it'll work.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: January 19, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »
you can try.... I doubt it'll work.
Now I am confused. You said just ask to pay less and now you are saying it won't work. Is this DDFB?

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: January 19, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »
Now I am confused. You said just ask to pay less and now you are saying it won't work. Is this DDFB?
I doubt getting a lower price on VGC will work... I'm trying to inderstand the ethical dillema here. You can always ask for a discount regardless of what happened.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1747 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
He's saying that asking for a discount is not an ethical question, it's a practical one of whether they will give you one or not. If you walk in and ask for 20% off on a VGC it probably won't while if you just got messed over while ordering an office chair there's a pretty good chance it will...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: January 19, 2015, 11:25:57 AM »
He's saying that asking for a discount is not an ethical question, it's a practical one of whether they will give you one or not.
My point is we all know they are not going to give a discount at most places just for asking. You have to make up some problem you had. That is the ethics part.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1749 on: January 19, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
My point is we all know they are not going to give a discount at most places just for asking. You have to make up some problem you had. That is the ethics part.
In this case he isn't making anything up (assuming everything he told US is true...)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1750 on: January 19, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
The original questioner wasn't making up a problem.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: January 19, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »
zale,
I would definitely ask for a discount.  At worst , they'll say no.
I worry about the original Sunday call and you giving confirmation of your cc info.  I would cancel that card** and change the pin on the account or something.  This may be incompetence, it may be some sort of fraud.

** not cancel- call the bank for a new #
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:08:24 PM by ckmk47 »
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1752 on: January 19, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
zale,
I worry about the original Sunday call and you giving confirmation of your cc info.  I would cancel that card and change the pin on the account or something.  This may be incompetence, it may be some sort of fraud.
+1

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »
zale,
I worry about the original Sunday call and you giving confirmation of your cc info.  I would cancel that card** and change the pin on the account or something.  This may be incompetence, it may be some sort of fraud.

** not cancel- call the bank for a new #

According to a Google search, the call from number seems legit. I suspect that the rep I spoke with today is unaware that there is a department open on Sunday. Either way, I did not disclose any information to that department, I just said "yes I authorized this charge".

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »
I'm a little confused... Even w/o the mess what's the problem to ask for a discount? You aren't misguiding anyone in any way shape or form... If you want to pay less for something just ask.

Let me reveal a little secret to you: I'm not a Tzaddik. In fact, I am the farthest thing from a Tzaddik. This is a thread about ethics, and I am simply inquiring of my fellow DDF members as to the ethical nature of my case.

Here is the thing: Major corporations usually have a policy in place, where if they screw up (even in a very small way) and there is a complaint from the customer, they offer a discount to appease that customer. Usually, they don't expect the caller to call up ASKING for a discount. They expect the caller to call up upset, and they may choose to use this discount as a way to appease this customer. (i.e. "surprise!" we feel so bad that you are an unhappy customer, that we are going to give you a discount!).

Now a guy like me, armed with this information, can call up and complain KNOWING that I can potentially extract a discount from them. I'm calling with the INTENT of extracting a discount, knowing that I can use their screw-up as leverage.

Did they screw up? Yes. Am I unhappy about it? Yes. I always have the option of cancelling this item and walking away, but I am going to call up and sound really, really upset so that they should give me a discount.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1755 on: January 19, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Let me reveal a little secret to you: I'm not a Tzaddik. In fact, I am the farthest thing from a Tzaddik. This is a thread about ethics, and I am simply inquiring of my fellow DDF members as to the ethical nature of my case.

Here is the thing: Major corporations usually have a policy in place, where if they screw up (even in a very small way) and there is a complaint from the customer, they offer a discount to appease that customer. Usually, they don't expect the caller to call up ASKING for a discount. They expect the caller to call up upset, and they may choose to use this discount as a way to appease this customer. (i.e. "surprise!" we feel so bad that you are an unhappy customer, that we are going to give you a discount!).

Now a guy like me, armed with this information, can call up and complain KNOWING that I can potentially extract a discount from them. I'm calling with the INTENT of extracting a discount, knowing that I can use their screw-up as leverage.

Did they screw up? Yes. Am I unhappy about it? Yes. I always have the option of cancelling this item and walking away, but I am going to call up and sound really, really upset so that they should give me a discount.
I think that they know that most aren't just calling to vent their disappointment.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: January 19, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »

That's a great speach but I still don't understand why you would think this is unethical. 

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1757 on: March 03, 2015, 09:19:27 AM »
I'm getting $20 off my cellphone bill this month thanks to Amex. Do the savings go to me or do I split it between all the lines on my plan?

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
I'm getting $20 off my cellphone bill this month thanks to Amex. Do the savings go to me or do I split it between all the lines on my plan?

Lol.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline bigbadmoish

• View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »
IMHO I wlould think that depends on the way you set it up. If you bill them every month based on their usage (even if its the same every month) then I would think you can keep it. If you all agree to split the bill every month bet X amount of people the the savings shld be split as well.