Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556311 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #1980 on: June 05, 2015, 11:42:57 AM »

If it helps my case... I plan on donating the huggies to colell youngmen:)
G-D can't be bribed...

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1981 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
G-D can't be bribed...

Sepp Blater begs to differ.

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 05, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
reminds me - I ordered something from Amazon, and they made a big deal (as they probably always do, but I happened to notice it) about the guaranteed delivery date, which was a Saturday. It came on Monday. On a whim I wrote them in email saying that i was surprised that they guaranteed a date and didn't stick to it. which was 100% true. they gave me a free month of Prime. I wasn't expecting it, and felt a little strange after the fact. But I didn't do anything at all wrong or dishonest. So feeling weird isn't really an indication.
OTOH, I'll probably start paying more attention to the dates now....
I don't see a problem. They could have delivered Friday or even Sunday (as far as your comment to them is concerned).

Offline Ydad

• View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 05, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
I don't see a problem. They could have delivered Friday or even Sunday (as far as your comment to them is concerned).
Where's henche? You never post without him/her.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 05, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
Boston, I think.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 05, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »
Is it ethical to hide gift cards at stop and shop?
No.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 05, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=52555.0

I don't know if it was muttar; it certainly seems unethical to me.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 05, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »
How long should a piece of carry-on luggage last?
Bought it in 07/2011 from Costco...
Should i return it (Costco lifetime returns) or just buy a new one as i got almost 4 years out of it (used it 6-10 days out of every month).
I don't think it's unethical to return it. They know exactly what their policy entails, yet do it anyhow, because they make enough extra sales to people who enjoy having that peace of mind that it's worth it.

Depending on the circumstance, it might be chillul Hashem, though.

Offline az

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 06, 2015, 02:55:33 PM »
G-D can't be bribed...
+1
כִּי אֲנִי  אֹהֵב מִשְׁפָּט שֹׂנֵא גָזֵל בְּעוֹלָה וְנָתַתִּי פְעֻלָּתָם בֶּאֱמֶת וּבְרִית עוֹלָם אֶכְרוֹת לָהֶם (Yeshayahu 61/8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:05:44 PM by jj1000 »

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 16, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »
I saw that this was discussed earlier
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12784.msg519008#msg519008
but nobody answered as far as I can tell..

This might sound trollish or naaive, but is there any reason why using one corporate code would be more yashrus than another?
For ex. Does chabad not care if you use their code, whereas honeywell does? Is this blatantly going against someones T & C (for ex. the rental corperation)? Are you stealing insurance from them if they offer insurance, but I have a card that covers insurance?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 16, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »
Chabad specifically promotes use of their code.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 16, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
I don't think it's unethical to return it. They know exactly what their policy entails, yet do it anyhow, because they make enough extra sales to people who enjoy having that peace of mind that it's worth it.

Depending on the circumstance, it might be chillul Hashem, though.

Please explain what you think a Chilul Hashem means...and how returning a item legitimately would be considered a chilul Hashem

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 16, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
I think it would be a chillul Hashem if it is made to seem that Yidden are especially likely to take advantage of a liberal policy.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 16, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
I think it would be a chillul Hashem if it is made to seem that Yidden are especially likely to take advantage of a liberal policy.

You would be wrong.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 16, 2015, 03:10:48 PM »
Please explain what you think a Chilul Hashem means...and how returning a item legitimately would be considered a chilul Hashem

What do you think a Chillul Hashem is? Didn't I already see this argument somewhere in the JS section of DDF?

The word "legitimately" has no place here. The question is if it is ethical, i.e. despite the fact that the retailer allows the return of the item, is it wrong to return an item which you clearly have gotten full use out of?

Here we are adding another variable into the question: the person returning the item is an observant Jew. Observant Jews claim to follow the Torah and to conduct themselves in a G-Dly manner. We teach our children that we are a chosen nation, and that we ought to conduct ourselves in a more refined manner. We teach our children that we are to be A Light Unto the Nations. Heck, we even ask the government to give us unique privileges, like allowing us to serve in agencies that do not allow beards - which some of us grow because we are a holy nation, and to enact workplace discrimination laws so that we can observe Shabbat and the Holidays.

So a gentile is standing in Costco, and he observes as a Frum Jew walks in with a pee-stained, yellowing mattress that is at least seven years old, and he returns it for a full refund...

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: July 16, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »
What do you think a Chillul Hashem is? Didn't I already see this argument somewhere in the JS section of DDF?

The word "legitimately" has no place here. The question is if it is ethical, i.e. despite the fact that the retailer allows the return of the item, is it wrong to return an item which you clearly have gotten full use out of?

Here we are adding another variable into the question: the person returning the item is an observant Jew. Observant Jews claim to follow the Torah and to conduct themselves in a G-Dly manner. We teach our children that we are a chosen nation, and that we ought to conduct ourselves in a more refined manner. We teach our children that we are to be A Light Unto the Nations. Heck, we even ask the government to give us unique privileges, like allowing us to serve in agencies that do not allow beards - which some of us grow because we are a holy nation, and to enact workplace discrimination laws so that we can observe Shabbat and the Holidays.

So a gentile is standing in Costco, and he observes as a Frum Jew walks in with a pee-stained, yellowing mattress that is at least seven years old, and he returns it for a full refund...
im with him
the question isnt is there something halachically wrong with return these items, bc as long as you arent convincing them to take back something that goes against their policy, i dont see a problem.
but after getting clear, full usage of an item until it completely breaks down/rips/gets pee stained, returning it at that point is, i think, a chilul Hashem.
think of it this way. if you were on line at costco returning clothing that didnt fit, and you saw a jew walk in with that pee stained mattress, would you think he is an upstanding, righteous, individual?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 16, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »

As entertaining and even correct your point may be ...It still wouldnt constituent a Chilul Hashem because  chilul Hashem is a halachick term and like all halachick terms have definitions, so does this one.  You are correct that it may not look so great to a bystander but it hasnt any relevance; unlike weather the action of returning the item is legitimate . The fact that it is legitimate is more important to the definition of chilul Hashem then your " ethics " which bare no importance.   

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: July 16, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
You would be wrong.
So if I observe a few minyanim full of frum looking Jews on the return line at Walmart or Costco, I shouldn't be concerned for chillul Hashem?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: July 16, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
So if I observe a few minyanim full of frum looking Jews on the return line at Walmart or Costco, I shouldn't be concerned for chillul Hashem?
You should be concerned! about looking at Jews with negative thoughts and emotions 

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
You should be concerned! about looking at Jews with negative thoughts and emotions
let me guess?
not a chillul hashem when that walmart had to change their return policy bc of jews?