Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 568207 times)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #2120 on: April 07, 2016, 11:31:50 AM »
I bought a size 38 suit and size 40 from macys and want to return jacket from one and the pants from the other. Is it genayva? Ethical?

They're sold as a 2 piece suit, together? I don't even understand your question. Definitely far into unethical territory, straight out stealing
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 07, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »
I bought a size 38 suit and size 40 from macys and want to return jacket from one and the pants from the other. Is it genayva? Ethical?
Stealing.

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »

Absolutely stealing, but they sell suit separates at Macys and that would be a legit way to get what you want.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #2123 on: May 20, 2016, 12:40:42 AM »
Scenario: Someone borrows your credit card to buy something which happens to have an amex offer.  You know you will never have used that particular offer.
Question: Who deserves the refund?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: May 20, 2016, 12:58:59 AM »
Scenario: Someone borrows your credit card to buy something which happens to have an amex offer.  You know you will never have used that particular offer.
Question: Who deserves the refund?
Seems like a potential ribbis issue.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: May 20, 2016, 01:00:20 AM »
Perhaps.  But this is the ethics thread.

Offline pixi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:53 AM »
Not true. He doesn’t pay him back more,  it's the cc company who pays for it..
money doesn't talk......      it SCREAMS !

Offline regular

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 20, 2016, 01:43:31 AM »
huh? unless u told him about the offer and offered it to him why should he get it? its your account

• View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 20, 2016, 02:01:48 AM »
huh? unless u told him about the offer and offered it to him why should he get it? its your account
Because at the end of the day, you are only billed 80% of what he charged to your card.

Offline sag95

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:20 AM »
According to the letter of the law, you are right. But we are talking ethics here. So if you know you weren't going to use the offer, I would say to only charge him what you had to pay in the end.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: May 20, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »
Not true. He doesn’t pay him back more,  it's the cc company who pays for it..
A is borrowing from B, who is borrowing from the credit card company. B pays back the credit card company, and A pays back B. If an amex offer is an inherent adjustment in the loan amount from the credit card company to B, then A is borrowing $80 from B, being as that's what the loan amount from the credit card issuer is. A then proceeds to pay B back $100. (It's possibly different than points earned. Points are a side benefit, while this is possibly an inherent lessening of the loan amount.)
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 20, 2016, 02:35:37 AM »
Bought stuff from a department store online for $500. Sent back most of it and got my refund in GC . I called them and said I want it refunded to my CC.
Afterwards I realised that the GC were still valid.
Can I go ahead and keep those GC?

• View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 20, 2016, 03:07:52 AM »
Bought stuff from a department store online for $500. Sent back most of it and got my refund in GC . I called them and said I want it refunded to my CC.
From a purely ethical standpoint, no.  You haven't done anything to merit free store credit.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:55 AM »
From a purely ethical standpoint, no.  You haven't done anything to merit free store credit.
OK. Now, is it mutar?

• View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:01 AM »

Offline regular

• View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: May 20, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
OK. Now, is it mutar?
i would think it is. isnt it straight out taos akum?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: May 20, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »
A is borrowing from B, who is borrowing from the credit card company. B pays back the credit card company, and A pays back B. If an amex offer is an inherent adjustment in the loan amount from the credit card company to B, then A is borrowing $80 from B, being as that's what the loan amount from the credit card issuer is. A then proceeds to pay B back $100. (It's possibly different than points earned. Points are a side benefit, while this is possibly an inherent lessening of the loan amount.)
Beside the fact that the part I colored is a major assumption that is probably halachically incorrect, the leap of logic from the red to the blue makes no sense.  A is in the store buying something that costs $100, not $80. If he would find a $20 bill on the floor after walking out, did he only pay $80? Of course not. His loan is $100, and he repays $100. So even if you wanted to consider the offer a reduction of cost, it would only change the facts of the loan between B and the cc company, and in that scenario B is the borrower as well as the beneficiary of the offer, which wouldn't be ribis even if the cc was a Jew instead.

This was essentially the logic laid out by Rabbi Yitzhok Silver (a dayan who is primarily involved in choshen mishpat batei din in Yerushalayim, and author of Mishpetei Hashalom/Money in Halacha) when asked the similar points question (ie if you lend your cc and the borrower repays you, you're also getting points). This case is at best the same.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: May 20, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
Beside the fact that the part I colored is a major assumption that is probably halachically incorrect, the leap of logic from the red to the blue makes no sense.  A is in the store buying something that costs $100, not $80. If he would find a $20 bill on the floor after walking out, did he only pay $80? Of course not. His loan is $100, and he repays $100. So even if you wanted to consider the offer a reduction of cost, it would only change the facts of the loan between B and the cc company, and in that scenario B is the borrower as well as the beneficiary of the offer, which wouldn't be ribis even if the cc was a Jew instead.

This was essentially the logic laid out by Rabbi Yitzhok Silver (a dayan who is primarily involved in choshen mishpat batei din in Yerushalayim, and author of Mishpetei Hashalom/Money in Halacha) when asked the similar points question (ie if you lend your cc and the borrower repays you, you're also getting points). This case is at best the same.
Hence the if.
I said why it's possibly different than points.
JTZ

Offline pixi

• View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 20, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »

OK. Now, is it mutar?
Yes. טעות גוי מותר.
money doesn't talk......      it SCREAMS !

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: May 20, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Hence the if.
I said why it's possibly different than points.
And I said even if. I can't tell whether you were saying passing the offer through to the buyer might be a ribis problem, or keeping it might be a ribis problem, so I'll explain both.

If the cc holder passes the offer through, then the repayment from the buyer to the cc holder is $80, and therefore it doesn't matter whether the loan was $80 or $100 - there can't be ribis if the buyer repaid less than or equal to the loan.

If the cc holder keeps the offer, it's impossible to say that the loan from the cc holder to the buyer was less than $100. The sale was for $100, and the offer was never paid to the buyer - so how can the loan be $80? The only way to view it is as a loan of $100 from the cc holder to the buyer (which is repaid exactly), and a separate transaction between the cc holder and the cc company, which can't possibly create a ribis problem between the buyer and the cc holder.

Also, many here (Dan included) feel that points are a rebate on the purchase as well. So if you consider the amex offer to reduce the initial loan, you'd have to consider points to be in that boat as well.