Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556649 times)

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
To get miles/points, even if you don't earn (deserve) them.

I am getting thousands of them, but I don't deserve it (no, I don't work hard doing this, I am BH a busy businessman).

I have ways of getting them for free (yes, FREE), some ways of getting them for 0.005/mile, and some ways of getting them for 0.007/mile

Please don't ask me how......I will not reveal the trick, but I fly about 3 firsts (Europe/TLV etc.) every year out of it, I am not overly abusing the system, but I still feel guilty.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »
Please don't ask me how......I will not reveal the trick, but I fly about 3 firsts (Europe/TLV etc.) every year out of it, I am not overly abusing the system, but I still feel guilty.
I can only forgive you if you confess completely  ;)

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
To get miles/points, even if you don't earn (deserve) them.

I am getting thousands of them, but I don't deserve it (no, I don't work hard doing this, I am BH a busy businessman).

I have ways of getting them for free (yes, FREE), some ways of getting them for 0.005/mile, and some ways of getting them for 0.007/mile

why are you lying on an anonymous forum?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »
why are you lying on an anonymous forum?

Hee hee...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dans fan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
I am a little shocked that some of this stuff even has to be asked. If you bought something on sale and they are ready to refund full price you should say something. If they still choose to give you back full amount then it's on them but at least you are honest.  As for the other thread about the canceled amazon purchase: of course you should return the item. Someone is losing the money, either amazon or the seller. I don't get this idea of it's OK if it's from a goy !! It's NOT OK !!! It's really simple, be honest and do the right thing.
your a goy

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:23 AM »
I am glad the Torah is giving you permission to steal.

Here is something to think about. If you will not be making a kiddush hashem by returning, or chillul hashem by not, is it possible that not only would you not be required to return it but it would actually be an issur of Lo Si’cha’neim?

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »
Here is something to think about. If you will not be making a kiddush hashem by returning, or chillul hashem by not, is it possible that not only would you not be required to return it but it would actually be an issur of Lo Si’cha’neim?
lol but only possible if you dress like steve2 (for those of us, who are old enough to remember him ;) ).

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »
I think we shouldn't mix "is it ethical?' with "is it allowed according to the halacha?".
After all i think we have no dayanim or rabanim on this forum. (If we do, i sincerely apologize).
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
I think we shouldn't mix "is it ethical?' with "is it allowed according to the halacha?".
Especially when some members have no idea what “halacha” means along with many other words.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline twentie4hrs

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
Especially when some members have no idea what “halacha” means along with many other words.

Getting a bit OT.

Allot me to bring us back.

Emmanuel Kant, says to , always (no matter what type of situation, tell the truth.
Do you agree with this?
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Emmanuel Kant, says to , always (no matter what type of situation, tell the truth.
Do you agree with this?
No!
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
absolutely not

Kant was obviously never married

would any guy every tell the truth to his wife if she asked if she looked bad in a dress

Offline twentie4hrs

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
absolutely not

Kant was obviously never married

would any guy every tell the truth to his wife if she asked if she looked bad in a dress

That is funny, bc, according to several sources, he wasn't married.
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Color me odd, but I'll tell my wife "maybe the other dress" or if I didn't care for dinner.  Better than eating the same dinner every week for the rest of my life pretending to like it!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Color me odd, but I'll tell my wife "maybe the other dress" or if I didn't care for dinner.  Better than eating the same dinner every week for the rest of my life pretending to like it!

+1

but how about once you're already at the wedding and she asks?

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
+100
My wife tells me to be blunt!
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »

It makes total sense. In fact, my wife encourages me to to tell her if I didn't like something because as she says (as you do), "it's better than me making it over and over again if you don't like it." Even still it's hard for me to say "I didn't like it." To me its a touchy situation. Thankfully it's only happened once :P (and even then I used the below advice:)

But I think you're right. Don't ever say something negative, always suggest a better alternative like "I think I like the other dress better" or "this chicken is good, but I think I liked the chicken you made last week a tad better."

Sorry to be cliche, but I've found "a happy wife is a happy life" more true than not :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »
It makes total sense. In fact, my wife encourages me to to tell her if I didn't like something because as she says (as you do), "it's better than me making it over and over again if you don't like it." Even still it's hard for me to say "I didn't like it." To me its a touchy situation. Thankfully it's only happened once :P (and even then I used the below advice:)

But I think you're right. Don't ever say something negative, always suggest a better alternative like "I think I like the other dress better" or "this chicken is good, but I think I liked the chicken you made last week a tad better."

Sorry to be cliche, but I've found "a happy wife is a happy life" more true than not :P
Or you could say " I love it but please never make it again"

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »

+1000

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
Or you could say " I love it but please never make it again"
No thats not a good one.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.