Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 562833 times)

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:46 PM »
Threads going OT. Should be moved to the "Trick it / negotiate it" thread  ;D

Offline ez1985

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
It does not matter how blunt she wants you to be.  If you say that you don't like something or that she doesn't look good in something then she will be insulted.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
It does not matter how blunt she wants you to be.  If you say that you don't like something or that she doesn't look good in something then she will be insulted.
YWMV
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »
+1
I will never completely understand woman's logic.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

...so at least someone on here is going to be eating that [insert poor tasting food here] for...

ever :P

I will never completely understand woman's logic.

Women's logic = oxymoron.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Steven

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 03:06:05 PM »
YWMV
+1 :)
(dont know if ppl saw that)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
absolutely not

Kant was obviously never married

would any guy every tell the truth to his wife if she asked if she looked bad in a dress

There are various ways of telling the truth. Plus just because you are only going to tell the truth does not mean you have to say EVERYTHING you think/feel etc. There are different degrees and ways of always being truthful.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
agreed that you can suggest to your wife "maybe the other dress" or "i liked the other chicken better" but you would never be blunt to the point of replying that "yes honey that dress does make you look fat" unless you want to sleep in the cold for a long long time

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »
One thing you should never say to your wife. If she says “honey look I lost 5 pounds” do not reply “turn around and you will find it”.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
Threads going OT. Should be moved to the "Trick it / negotiate it" thread  ;D
lol   that is definitely the name of the game

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »
+1 :)
(dont know if ppl saw that)

we saw it steven...we saw it
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
FWIR, in Yiddishkeit there is a great value to saying the truth, but it is not an absolute, overriding value. Midvar Sheker Tirchak is a pasuk. It doesn't say Do Not Lie (actually it does in another pasuk) so we know that Meshanim mipnei Hashalom.

What is the opinion of our great comrades here about opening a new card just for the bonuses if you know for sure you will cancel it right away? For example, I try to open a card only if I think that it may be worthwhile to keep.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro

Offline Steven

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2012, 05:42:31 PM »
FWIR, in Yiddishkeit there is a great value to saying the truth, but it is not an absolute, overriding value. Midvar Sheker Tirchak is a pasuk. It doesn't say Do Not Lie (actually it does in another pasuk) so we know that Meshanim mipnei Hashalom.

What is the opinion of our great comrades here about opening a new card just for the bonuses if you know for sure you will cancel it right away? For example, I try to open a card only if I think that it may be worthwhile to keep.
where does it say anywhere you have to keep the card for a certain amount of time? Its the cc companies decision to give the bonus and in hope you will keep the card because of its benefits (I actually asked a rov of mine, and he told me its absolutely ok)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »
where does it say anywhere . . .

So because it doesn't say it explicitly in the TOS and T&C, it's OK?

What about buying, say, a digital camera from Target for use on an upcoming weekend vacation with the full intention of returning it afterwards. You think that's ethical? Because it doesn't explicitly proscribe that action in Target's return policy?

Do you think Target would have no problem with such  a course of action if you asked them?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
So because it doesn't say it explicitly in the TOS and T&C, it's OK?

What about buying, say, a digital camera from Target for use on an upcoming weekend vacation with the full intention of returning it afterwards. You think that's ethical? Because it doesn't explicitly proscribe that action in Target's return policy?

Do you think Target would have no problem with such  a course of action if you asked them?

I also specifically asked basically the same scenario and was told it's okay. But as always don't rely on this form and ask your own LOR. Personally I think if you ask the salesperson in target they would say go right ahead

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 06:00:42 PM »
I also specifically asked basically the same scenario and was told it's okay.

Are we talking ethics or halacha?

Personally I think if you ask the salesperson in target they would say go right ahead

Salesperson? First, for reasons mentioned on here before, the fact that he would have no problem with it should be obvious (salespeople work on commission, they just want to get the sale done). Second, the fact that a salesperson OKs it is irrelevant. A salesperson does not have the authority to speak for Target management.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
Are we talking ethics or halacha?

Is there a difference (besides there being 2 threads)? what do you base your ethics on?

I realize sometimes there is a difference between me'iker hadin (the letter of the law in case HelpMe is reading  ;) ) and Lifnim (beyond what's required) but usually your da'as torah will inform you what the proper thing to do is when they are asked

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
Is there a difference (besides there being 2 threads)? what do you base your ethics on?

I realize sometimes there is a difference between me'iker hadin (the letter of the law in case HelpMe is reading  ;) ) and Lifnim (beyond what's required) but usually your da'as torah will inform you what the proper thing to do is when they are asked

Halacha is halacha is halacha. I'm not disputing that. But there are times when one's moral compass could (and I'd argue should) be shifting to the unethical side even despite it being halachically OK.

I'd suggest buying a camera with the sole intention of using it for three days while on vacation and then returning when the vacation is over to be one of those instances.