Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556238 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
Tuition 1/3, housing 1/3...(and we don't mean 1/3 off, either)

Hmm....
Don't forget free zoo every Monday! :) just trying to stay o(n)t ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline David B

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold, IHC Gold, Hertz PC, National Executive
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Don't forget free zoo every Monday! :) just trying to stay o(n)t ;)

Think we have free zoo every Wednesday (Bronx Zoo)...:)

Offline WhyAich

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
+1
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com

Offline chaimaron

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
but dan you also get the cleveland life
basically you get what you pay

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
but dan you also get the cleveland life
basically you get what you pay
And I thank g-d for it every day.  Especially every time I come back from pretty much anywhere else.
#ClevelandRocks
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
Not at that stage yet, but does it also depend if your child is within ear shot?  Would you be throwing away a $200,000 private school education by lying in front of them for a $5 discount?

You may not be at the stage yet, but you will learn that within earshot or not doesn't/shouldn't matter. Kids know if their parents are eirlech or not. They have 6th sense.  It's something HKB"H built into the briah. When it comes to kids, you usually get out what you put in, in terms of your self conduct.

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:00 PM »
New question...bought a guitar at guitar center. As I was being ringed up the guy offered me a warranty package. I told him that I will be out of the country studying and would the warranty cover me.

He said that if there is no local authorized repair shop for Taylor - the guitar company, Guitar Center will just mail me a check for the cost of the guitar! I said sounds good and bought the package for about $50. Lo and behold, I was traveling and a small crack appeared in the guitar despite buying the case that the same sales guy said no one ever reported having an issue with on a plane...

I called and of course found out that there are no authorized Taylor repair shops in Israel and so they said they would mail a check. Months went by and nothing came so I called and the address had been written down incorrectly so I gave them a new address in Canada. Months went by again and nothing came. (In the meantime I had paid $90 to fix it myself.)

Finally after about 6 months I had enough and called the store and spoke to the manager - which at GC is always a good idea as their CS is pretty good. He took the details and put me in touch with corporate who agreed to finally mail me a new gift card (CORP told me that they don't send cash checks and that the CSR was mistaken...) to my US address and it came shortly thereafter...

A month later...the original gift card (not a check) came to Canada (very slow mail delivery) leaving me with two gift cards....I don't feel it's right to keep both and most likely will go into the store where I bought the guitar and thank the manager for his help and tell him about the discrepancy. At the very least it will hopefully make a kiddush hashem...

Question for DDF, is this the correct decision? Would you do the same?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
New question...bought a guitar at guitar center. As I was being ringed up the guy offered me a warranty package. I told him that I will be out of the country studying and would the warranty cover me.

He said that if there is no local authorized repair shop for Taylor - the guitar company, Guitar Center will just mail me a check for the cost of the guitar! I said sounds good and bought the package for about $50. Lo and behold, I was traveling and a small crack appeared in the guitar despite buying the case that the same sales guy said no one ever reported having an issue with on a plane...

I called and of course found out that there are no authorized Taylor repair shops in Israel and so they said they would mail a check. Months went by and nothing came so I called and the address had been written down incorrectly so I gave them a new address in Canada. Months went by again and nothing came. (In the meantime I had paid $90 to fix it myself.)

Finally after about 6 months I had enough and called the store and spoke to the manager - which at GC is always a good idea as their CS is pretty good. He took the details and put me in touch with corporate who agreed to finally mail me a new gift card (CORP told me that they don't send cash checks and that the CSR was mistaken...) to my US address and it came shortly thereafter...

A month later...the original gift card (not a check) came to Canada (very slow mail delivery) leaving me with two gift cards....I don't feel it's right to keep both and most likely will go into the store where I bought the guitar and thank the manager for his help and tell him about the discrepancy. At the very least it will hopefully make a kiddush hashem...

Question for DDF, is this the correct decision? Would you do the same?
+1. I except I wouldn't go out of my to return it to the store, would just not use it.
However, if it is a privately owned goyish company I would definitely use it as it is טעות עכום. There are many easier ways if I was looking to specifically make a kiddush hashem
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
I cant tell you what you should do, but if you return it I'm very impressed of you. But as PG said, its most likely taauth aakum.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
I would ask corporate what I should do. I think most major companies wouldn't care about 1gc and they would tell you to enjoy it.

Offline easy48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »
Taus akkum.  IMHO- Its yours to keep.  (not really my own opinion..I had a similar shaila asked my Rov and that was the psak.)

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
I would ask corporate what I should do. I think most major companies wouldn't care about 1gc and they would tell you to enjoy it.

Good idea...I'll try and post the results...

Also, it seems that GC is owned by Bain Capital...I guess I'll ask Mitt Romney next time I see him...:)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:55:45 PM by YudiG »

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
Well...corp CS seems to be out for lunch but I got through to the regular CS and they said that I should just 'dispose' of it...I asked how do I know which one...they said the one that came later was 'deactivated'...how can I tell online which it is?

"You have to make a purchase." Me: ???...What about in store?

GC: Maybe they have a way....

Sounds all a bit odd...any advice?

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
http://www.guitarcenter.com/utility/balancecheck.aspx

Thanks! Amazing how both a CSR and the CSR at Corp HQ didn't have access to that! She was quite surprised and happy to hear that someone would actually call. She said she'll call back and hopefully just say to keep them....though I'm going to check the balances now.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
HelpMe - the link doesn't seem to be working...I put the info but it says 'sorry error'....

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
Is there a number to call on the back of the card to check the balance? Hopefully they didn’t deactivate both cards.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:32 PM »
Is there a number to call on the back of the card to check the balance? Hopefully they didn’t deactivate both cards.

I called and they are both loaded....we'll wait and see what Corp calls back and says...

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:46 PM »
Don't forget free zoo every Monday!
Meh, we have a free zoo every day (Crown Heights)  :):)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »
Meh, we have a free zoo every day (Crown Heights)  :):)
lol. Did something specific happen?