Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556570 times)

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
though often times one can make a big kiddush Hashem for doing so.

30 Yrs Old
Male
Born, raised and live in the "dirty Jerz" aka New Jersey
Catholic
Married
2 sons

You may want to elaborate on that.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:07 PM »
You may want to elaborate on that.

Oops. My bad  :-[

Good catch.

Try here for (sort of) an explanation.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »

Good catch.

I can't blame you. You see Lakewood NJ, and assume...

Offline karatemike

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »

Good catch.

Try here for (sort of) an explanation.

Very interesting, thanks for the clarification. I'm surprised in the answer, I would think being honest is obligatory regardless of what type of person made the mistake.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
I'm surprised in the answer, I would think being honest is obligatory regardless of what type of person made the mistake.
I was to when I first joined this forum.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
It's definitely a good deed and a proper thing to do, but it's not required according to the letter of law.  Judaism applauds those that do things above the letter of the law, but it's not a requirement.

Does Christianity require you to return to WalMart in case of an honest pricing mistake or receiving too much change by accident?  You would probably consider it good Karma if you did so, but I doubt that anyone would tell you that you will burn in hell according to the letter of the law if you do not.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2012, 02:49:58 PM »
Does Christianity require you to return to WalMart in case of an honest pricing mistake or receiving too much change by accident? 
YES!!!

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
@HelpMe source?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
YES!!!
Well then I learned something.
So say if Amazon.com has a pricing error you wouldn't take advantage of it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »
Well then I learned something.
So say if Amazon.com has a pricing error you wouldn't take advantage of it?
I will answer your question but do we really want to go down this road?

I most likely would take advantage of it.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Isn't it based on what your minister/priest tells you? AFAIK the only book of set laws in Christianity is in Catholicism the code of canon law, as to the inner workings of the church. Nothing like the shulchan aruch...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
So to be clear, your beef/surprise is that Judaism doesn't require you to correct a store's mistakes, but personally you would take advantage of said mistakes?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »
So to be clear, your beef/surprise is that Judaism doesn't require you to correct a store's mistakes, but personally you would take advantage of said mistakes?
Let me make this clear. I have no beef with any main stream religion that I know of. I believe any main stream religion is a plus in a person’s life.

I was surprise that Judaism treats certain things differently depending if the merchant is Jewish or not. Is this a belief, law or do I just have it wrong?

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2012, 03:39:17 PM »
Its law.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2012, 03:42:41 PM »
You can't steal from anyone, obviously.  And you must return an item to anyone that you find if you can discern who it belongs to.

Regarding an honest mistake Judaism does indeed differentiate between jew and gentile.  It's highly encouraged to sanctify G-ds name by doing the right thing and fixing the mistake in all cases, but it is not required according to the letter of the law.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
You can't steal from anyone, obviously.  And you must return an item to anyone that you find if you can discern who it belongs to.

Regarding an honest mistake Judaism does indeed differentiate between jew and gentile.  It's highly encouraged to sanctify G-ds name by doing the right thing and fixing the mistake in all cases, but it is not required according to the letter of the law.
This is the part I am surprised at and to be honest do not understand.

Does Judaism teach that a gentile is inferior to a Jew? Is this totally false or maybe a belief held by a certain sect?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2012, 03:53:55 PM »
Does Christianity not teach that a jew is inferior to a christian and will go to hell if they don't convert? 
What else was the point of the spanish inquisition that my ancestors went through?

Does Islam not teach that non-muslims are all infidels and will all go to hell while they get 72 virgins in heaven for killing jews and christians?

Why do Mormons convert jews posthumously?

In fact Judaism is quite rare as far as religions go in not believing in the concept of going to hell just for not being jewish and in not seeking converts (in fact actively dissuading converts) to Judaism.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:57:05 PM by Dan »

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
I would just chime in and say that using the term inferior may seem harsh. Negating that I'd like to say that each religion considers themselves superior to other religions. Jews don't look down on other nations, we have a live and let live mentality.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
I would just chime in and say that using the term inferior may seem harsh. Negating that I'd like to say that each religion considers themselves superior to other religions. Jews don't look down on other nations, we have a live and let live mentality.
+1

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
Does Christianity not teach that a jew is inferior to a christian and will go to hell if they don't convert? 
What else was the point of the spanish inquisition that my ancestors went through?

Does Islam not teach that non-muslims are all infidels and will all go to hell while they get 72 virgins in heaven for killing jews and christians?

This is the road I was talking about. I asked the questions not to attack your religion but to understand.

I was raised Roman Catholic and it is pretty simple for me. We are all God’s children. I was not taught that Jews were inferior. I think Passover demonstrates that.

I hope you’re not expecting me to defend Islam. I know we disagree on many things but this is not one of them.