Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556429 times)

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
New question...bought a guitar at guitar center. As I was being ringed up the guy offered me a warranty package. I told him that I will be out of the country studying and would the warranty cover me.

He said that if there is no local authorized repair shop for Taylor - the guitar company, Guitar Center will just mail me a check for the cost of the guitar! I said sounds good and bought the package for about $50. Lo and behold, I was traveling and a small crack appeared in the guitar despite buying the case that the same sales guy said no one ever reported having an issue with on a plane...

I called and of course found out that there are no authorized Taylor repair shops in Israel and so they said they would mail a check. Months went by and nothing came so I called and the address had been written down incorrectly so I gave them a new address in Canada. Months went by again and nothing came. (In the meantime I had paid $90 to fix it myself.)

Finally after about 6 months I had enough and called the store and spoke to the manager - which at GC is always a good idea as their CS is pretty good. He took the details and put me in touch with corporate who agreed to finally mail me a new gift card (CORP told me that they don't send cash checks and that the CSR was mistaken...) to my US address and it came shortly thereafter...

A month later...the original gift card (not a check) came to Canada (very slow mail delivery) leaving me with two gift cards....I don't feel it's right to keep both and most likely will go into the store where I bought the guitar and thank the manager for his help and tell him about the discrepancy. At the very least it will hopefully make a kiddush hashem...

Question for DDF, is this the correct decision? Would you do the same?

well...here's the ending..never expected to start such discussions...spoke with corp customer service...2 weeks later never heard back...called back and spoke with head of corp CS who was upset nobody ever got back to me said i'd know within 2 days...well a week or so later he never called back :)...so i called again and spoke to the original person who said one of them might be locked (even though they both show a balance...don't believe that to be plausible) but if not...thanks for calling and ENJOY them both!

so kiddush hashem and hopefully two GC's in the bag...cool thing is that GC carries the new ipad...

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
well...here's the ending..never expected to start such discussions...spoke with corp customer service...2 weeks later never heard back...called back and spoke with head of corp CS who was upset nobody ever got back to me said i'd know within 2 days...well a week or so later he never called back :)...so i called again and spoke to the original person who said one of them might be locked (even though they both show a balance...don't believe that to be plausible) but if not...thanks for calling and ENJOY them both!

so kiddush hashem and hopefully two GC's in the bag...cool thing is that GC carries the new ipad...
What more can you do. They should send you another GC for all your troubles!  :)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
So will the vatican be returning all the treasures of the jews (probobly valued in the hundreds of billions if not trillions) it currently holds.
If you're referring to the treasures from the beis hamikdash, I think it's been debunked that they have any of the primary keilim from there.
Here is one example  http://halachicadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Ami001.Menorah.final.pdf

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »
If you're referring to the treasures from the beis hamikdash, I think it's been debunked that they have any of the primary keilim from there.
Here is one example  http://halachicadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Ami001.Menorah.final.pdf
I hate when facts get in the way of a good story.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
Beis Hamikdosh?  I thought he said manuscripts and items confiscated during the inquisition.  I don't know about the inquisition but it is common knowledge that they have Hebrew manuscripts.  Did the Vatican buy these?

http://web.nli.org.il/sites/NLI/Hebrew/infochannels/Catalogs/library%20catalogs/Documents/vaticanhebmss.pdf
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
Beis Hamikdosh?  I thought he said manuscripts and items confiscated during the inquisition.  I don't know about the inquisition but it is common knowledge that they have Hebrew manuscripts.  Did the Vatican buy these?

http://web.nli.org.il/sites/NLI/Hebrew/infochannels/Catalogs/library%20catalogs/Documents/vaticanhebmss.pdf
I think those were taken w/o their owner's agreement. :)

I'm sure they have other valuables, I was just commenting on the idea that they still have the menorah, shulchan, etc.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 11, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
What more can you do. They should send you another GC for all your troubles!  :)

You're right!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:53 PM »
The $20 trick?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2012, 12:41:43 AM »
The $20 trick?
This is a hard one. I guess it would be based on your intent.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2012, 01:02:47 AM »
This is a hard one. I guess it would be based on your intent.
Meaning...?
If you are trying to bribe the guy then no but if...I also am not sure but i'm not sure what else your intent is.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:35 AM »
Meaning...?
If you are trying to bribe the guy then no but if...I also am not sure but i'm not sure what else your intent is.
Let’s use Vegas hotels as an example. If you try the trick with the intent of getting the clerk to do something against the rules I would say it is not ethical. If you feel the clerk can give upgrades if he wants and the 20 just improves your chances then I don’t see a problem.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2012, 01:12:38 AM »
9 out of 10 FD clerk has the right to give upgrades, but I do think it's a bribe any way you slice it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:16 AM »
is it not mre unethical of him to take it then for you to offer it or am i just rationalizing it

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
is it not mre unethical of him to take it then for you to offer it or am i just rationalizing it
Who cares?

Offline Knaper_Chuchem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
9 out of 10 FD clerk has the right to give upgrades, but I do think it's a bribe any way you slice it.
A 'bribe' as in 'illegal', or as in 'unethical'? 

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Who cares?
thats why its called rationalizing

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #256 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Is this thread only for deal related ethics or general ethics? If the answer is the latter I have a question. I lifeguard by a pool and I saw a father hitting his 5 year old child multiple times on his bottom for a fairly inconsequential thing, I could see a real anger in the fathers face as if he was hitting him because he was actually mad. What would you do?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 15, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Is this thread only for deal related ethics or general ethics? If the answer is the latter I have a question. I lifeguard by a pool and I saw a father hitting his 5 year old child multiple times on his bottom for a fairly inconsequential thing, I could see a real anger in the fathers face as if he was hitting him because he was actually mad. What would you do?
Ask a shaila and hope the answer is that it's mutar to report the father.
Are you a mandated reporter?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #258 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
Ask a shaila and hope the answer is that it's mutar to report the father.
Are you a mandated reporter?
Not as far as I know. Its a frum pool so legal issues aren't usually a problem like that...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2012, 09:29:52 PM »
Not as far as I know. Its a frum pool so legal issues aren't usually a problem like that...
Nothing to do with the pool you work at. I wonder if a lifeguard is a mandated reporter. If you are and you don't report it's possible to get into major trouble(although probably unlikely in this case)