Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 562282 times)

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #2500 on: July 05, 2020, 09:30:02 AM »
Using someone else's unlimited day travelcard when they have finished with it. Also speaking about one that you would just buy in a metro station not one with ID, so no Chilul Hashem involved....

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2501 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:46 AM »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 21, 2020, 09:54:55 PM »
Have an appliance that's a few years old, a part broke - from an online search it seems it's pretty common, probably poor design.

I reached out to the company, and they offered me a replacement part, but I'd have to pay for someone to install it, or a rebate off a new appliance. Some of the options I'm debating, but not sure I feel comfortable with, are:

1) Find someone else who wants to buy an appliance and share the savings with them.

2) Buy an appliance I don't really need, and utilize AMEX's return protection.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 22, 2020, 09:29:02 AM »
Have an appliance that's a few years old, a part broke - from an online search it seems it's pretty common, probably poor design.

I reached out to the company, and they offered me a replacement part, but I'd have to pay for someone to install it, or a rebate off a new appliance. Some of the options I'm debating, but not sure I feel comfortable with, are:

1) Find someone else who wants to buy an appliance and share the savings with them.
Assuming that the Rebate is transferable, why is that unethical? Even if the rebate is not transferable, there is nothing restricting you from selling the same appliance to another person.

2) Buy an appliance I don't really need, and utilize AMEX's return protection.

IMVHO, this is unethical - you're buying something you have no intention of keeping for the purposes of returning it.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »
Is it ethical to disregard a voluntary travel quarantine? Travel is important but quarantine impractical.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: July 28, 2020, 09:54:41 PM »
Is it ethical to disregard a voluntary travel quarantine? Travel is important but quarantine impractical.
Don’t disregard, just don’t volunteer...

Online yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #2506 on: July 28, 2020, 09:58:58 PM »
If your question is because your wife feels uncomfortable with it, IMHO it's not worth it. Better go somewhere that's not in the quarantine ban. Like MA or PA.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: July 28, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »
It’s a specific destination so can’t really be helped.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: July 28, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »
Very possibly against Halacha - על המזיק להרחיק את עצמו and breaking a democratic governments quarantine regulation would probably not be considered מהלך כדרכו.

If you have antibodies I think it's OK so long as you avoid crowded indoors spaces like shuls

I served 2 full 14 day quarantine periods.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: July 28, 2020, 10:23:04 PM »
Very possibly against Halacha - על המזיק להרחיק את עצמו and breaking a democratic governments quarantine regulation would probably not be considered מהלך כדרכו.

If you have antibodies I think it's OK so long as you avoid crowded indoors spaces like shuls

I served 2 full 14 day quarantine periods.

Thanks but I wasn’t asking for halachik advice here. That’s my LOR’s job.

The quarantine is voluntary but compliance is expected. I happen to have antibodies but my wife does not. Ridiculous we can’t be cleared with a test but I get they’re not 100% accurate.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: July 31, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »
Thanks but I wasn’t asking for halachik advice here. That’s my LOR’s job.

The quarantine is voluntary but compliance is expected. I happen to have antibodies but my wife does not. Ridiculous we can’t be cleared with a test but I get they’re not 100% accurate.
I don't think it would be unethical if it's voluntary.
Test is meaningless, if you were infected yesterday, you would test negative today but positive a few days later
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: December 08, 2020, 08:35:14 AM »
Is it ethical to use coupons intended for somebody else, or to manipulate coupons so as to provide a different benefit than intended? Does the value of the coupon matter?

Examples:
Store ABC sends a 10% off coupon to its credit card mailing list and the terms of the coupon state that it’s only intended for use by the recipients, yet the coupon works for everyone. Can it be used by non-credit card holders?
Store ABC has an 80% off coupon for employees only. Can non-employees use it?
Store ABC send out a “Save10” coupon open to everyone, but you figure out that “Save25” also works with greater savings. Is that permitted?
Store ABC send a one time use coupon for a discount, and you discover a way to manipulate the code so that it works multiple times. Is that allowed?

For the purposes of these questions, assume that the store wants the coupons to be used only as intended. Don’t say that the store is just happy to be making a sale, for that it’s part of a marketing plan.

If your answers differ depending on the situation, please explain why.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: December 08, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
Store ABC sends a 10% off coupon to its credit card mailing list and the terms of the coupon state that it’s only intended for use by the recipients, yet the coupon works for everyone. Can it be used by non-credit card holders? No
Store ABC has an 80% off coupon for employees only. Can non-employees use it? No
Store ABC send out a “Save10” coupon open to everyone, but you figure out that “Save25” also works with greater savings. Is that permitted? Yes
Store ABC send a one time use coupon for a discount, and you discover a way to manipulate the code so that it works multiple times. Is that allowed? No
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: December 08, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »
Store ABC sends a 10% off coupon to its credit card mailing list and the terms of the coupon state that it’s only intended for use by the recipients, yet the coupon works for everyone. Can it be used by non-credit card holders? No
Store ABC has an 80% off coupon for employees only. Can non-employees use it? No
Store ABC send out a “Save10” coupon open to everyone, but you figure out that “Save25” also works with greater savings. Is that permitted? Yes
Store ABC send a one time use coupon for a discount, and you discover a way to manipulate the code so that it works multiple times. Is that allowed? No

Why is number 3 permitted if the others aren’t?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2514 on: December 08, 2020, 09:36:06 AM »
Is it ethical to use coupons intended for somebody else, or to manipulate coupons so as to provide a different benefit than intended? Does the value of the coupon matter?

Examples:
Store ABC sends a 10% off coupon to its credit card mailing list and the terms of the coupon state that it’s only intended for use by the recipients, yet the coupon works for everyone. Can it be used by non-credit card holders?
Store ABC has an 80% off coupon for employees only. Can non-employees use it?
Store ABC send out a “Save10” coupon open to everyone, but you figure out that “Save25” also works with greater savings. Is that permitted?
Store ABC send a one time use coupon for a discount, and you discover a way to manipulate the code so that it works multiple times. Is that allowed?

For the purposes of these questions, assume that the store wants the coupons to be used only as intended. Don’t say that the store is just happy to be making a sale, for that it’s part of a marketing plan.

If your answers differ depending on the situation, please explain why.

A) If the coupon is unique to each CC holder, I don't think it matters who uses it (essentially the CC holder's benefit to use or convey). If it's generic, but intended for CC holders only, it shouldn't be used by non-CC holders.

B) No. If an employee uses it for you, that depends on the employee's relationship and understanding with the employer.

C) Yes. There doesn't seem to be any restriction implied on either code.

D) No.

Value of the coupon doesn't matter. Manipulating the coupon is straight up theft. It's like changing the price tag on an item in the store.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: December 08, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »
A) If the coupon is unique to each CC holder, I don't think it matters who uses it (essentially the CC holder's benefit to use or convey). If it's generic, but intended for CC holders only, it shouldn't be used by non-CC holders.

B) No. If an employee uses it for you, that depends on the employee's relationship and understanding with the employer.

D) No.

Value of the coupon doesn't matter. Manipulating the coupon is straight up theft. It's like changing the price tag on an item in the store.

Why isn't (C) considered manipulating the coupon? What if I change it to "Save90" and it takes off 90% of the price. Is that also permitted?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: December 08, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
Why isn't (C) considered manipulating the coupon? What if I change it to "Save90" and it takes off 90% of the price. Is that also permitted?

I don't believe it's manipulating the original coupon. It's a different coupon altogether.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: December 08, 2020, 09:49:33 AM »
I don't believe it's manipulating the original coupon. It's a different coupon altogether.

Then wouldn’t it fall under Category (A) of using a coupon not intended for you?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: December 08, 2020, 09:52:44 AM »
Then wouldn’t it fall under Category (A) of using a coupon not intended for you?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: December 08, 2020, 09:59:41 AM »
Alternative take: if the store wishes to restrict certain discounts to specific people or groups, it's the store's responsibility to verify the intended users are using it before giving the customer the product. Not verifying authentic use can be seen as sanctioning the transaction.