Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556432 times)

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #320 on: August 08, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
@lamdan
This is a secular forum. (which accidentally attracted a huge crowd of a certain culture/religion).
Well, then it was mean of you to have a username that the intended audience of this forum wouldn't understand. :P
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #321 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
@lamdan
This is a secular forum. (which accidentally attracted a huge crowd of a certain culture/religion).

Says who?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
BTW, I think this whole thread has no shaychus. Is it Ethical? I don't care! What does the Torah think? Is it al pi Torah - Halachically and Hashkaficly?, that's what I want to know. Ethics - based on what?  - farshtunkene Western Culture, that thinks there's nothing wrong with walking around halb naked. I think, Is it Ethical, is the wrong way for a frum jew to phrase a question if something is right or wrong. Is it Al Pi Torah?, that's relevant.

Are there never any situations where something may be permitted by torah law and still not be questioned if it's ethical or not?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 08, 2012, 11:09:35 PM »
Are there never any situations where something may be permitted by torah law and hashkafa and still not be questioned if it's ethical or not?
no

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2012, 11:36:59 PM »
maybe next time don't read it in a condescending way. ppl with self esteem issues read things in a condescending way, even though there is no tone of voice in the written word.
Some times you don't need tone to tell if something is condescending, like this post where you accuse me of having low self esteem. Unless that wasn't condescending either
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2012, 11:42:07 PM »
Some times you don't need tone to tell if something is condescending, like this post where you accuse me of having low self esteem. Unless that wasn't condescending either
The low self esteem post was condescending to someone who ripped me - you. The post b4 that about "ethical" was not condescending at all - unless you have a low self esteem.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #326 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:34 PM »
The low self esteem post was condescending to someone who ripped me - you. The post b4 that about "ethical" was not condescending at all - unless you have a low self esteem.
You got me. I have low self esteem. Thanks for embarrassing me in public and further lowering my self esteem
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
no
Wow.
Why would you edit my quote?
That wasn't my question.

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 08, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »
You got me. I have low self esteem. Thanks for embarrassing me in public and further lowering my self esteem
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=17505.15

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 08, 2012, 11:50:08 PM »

Wow.
Why would you edit my quote?
That wasn't my question.
I bolded what I edited. My point is that if you modify the question to include hashkafa, I would answer - no. No harm intended.  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 08, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
I bolded what I edited. My point is that if you modify the question to include hashkafa, I would answer - no. No harm intended.  :) :) :) :) :)

Just curious as to why you don't consider ethics to be part of hashkafa?

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:49 AM »
Normally - is it ethical?, is a question featured in many secular magazines and newspapers, answered by a bunch of shtufei zima - toevahnikers. Technically, mussar can be translated as ethics.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 09, 2012, 12:36:50 AM »
If you all what to talk religion how about starting another thread. This one is about ethics not religion.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
If you all what to talk religion how about starting another thread. This one is about ethics not religion.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2012, 12:50:11 AM »
Ethics and religion have nothing to do with each other. If you want to start a thread on religion I would be more than happy to participate but I guarantee you that you will not like what I have to say.

Example: A large part of this site could be looked at as to take advantage, scam or exploit deals. What religion do you know of that condones this? So before someone wants to open this can of worms you might want to look in the mirror first.   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:53:30 AM by HelpMe »

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »
Ethics and religion have nothing to do with each other. If you want to start a thread on religion I would be more than happy to participate but I guarantee you that you will not like what I have to say.

Example: A large part of this site could be looked at as to take advantage, scam or exploit deals. What religion do you know of that condones this? So before someone wants to open this can of worms you might want to look in the mirror first.   

Sounds like oodles of fun! But I don't think even Just Shmooze could handle such a topic. You'd have to make a whole new domain name IMHO. (JBTW I look great in the mirror :P)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 09, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »
Sounds like oodles of fun! But I don't think even Just Shmooze could handle such a topic. You'd have to make a whole new domain name IMHO. (JBTW I look great in the mirror :P)
I don’t know if I would call it fun especially when someone could not tell the difference from my views and a point I would be trying to make. I hate to be the one to break the news to you but you need a new mirror!  :P 

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #337 on: August 09, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »
I don’t know if I would call it fun especially when someone could not tell the difference from my views and a point I would be trying to make. I hate to be the one to break the news to you but you need a new mirror!  :P 
Obviously you just have to ignore the ignoramuses like any good debate. The mirror comment hurts now that I know you've seen me ;). When we do start this thread are we going to get in to real religious debate like Isiah 53 and all the Nachmanodies debates with Priests from the middle ages :)) (I have a feeling some people will hate this post and I'll prob. end up deleting it. Like I said need a new domain name IMHO.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »
Obviously you just have to ignore the ignoramuses like any good debate. The mirror comment hurts now that I know you've seen me ;). When we do start this thread are we going to get in to real religious debate like Isiah 53 and all the Nachmanodies debates with Priests from the middle ages :)) (I have a feeling some people will hate this post and I'll prob. end up deleting it. Like I said need a new domain name IMHO.
You trying to start a war?  :)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 09, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »
You trying to start a war?  :)
Actually we've already been slaughtered for thousands of years thanks to such wars...