Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 563016 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #420 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
Person B overhears person A, who knows nothing of going rates, discussing wanting to offload his miles.

B offers to help sell his miles. A agrees. B sells miles to C for 2cpm. B pays A 1.9cpm. A keeps difference.

On these facts, ethical?

Discuss.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:28:31 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 04, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
Without telling him he's taking a cut?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #422 on: October 04, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
Without telling him he's taking a cut?

Correct. Nothing further was discussed.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #423 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
Correct. Nothing further was discussed.
I think that's not right. It's fully within his right to take a cut but why not be open about it

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2012, 03:27:16 PM »
Person B overhears person A, who knows nothing of going rates, discussing wanting to offload his miles.

B offers to help sell his miles. A agrees. B sells miles to C for 2cpm. B pays A 1.9cpm. A keeps difference.

On these facts, ethical?

Discuss.
It is ethical even if B does not mention his commission.

Do you mean "B" keeps the difference?
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 04, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »
Yes. Should read B keeps the difference (i.e. commission).

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #426 on: October 04, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

On these facts, ethical?

Discuss.

Totally fine IMHO. What do you think a broker does for a living, anyway? Buys from Peter to sell to Paul. Why should it be unethical not to disclose your cut? You're entitled to it. If you tell him, all you're doing is tempting him to find a way to cut out the middleman.

ETA: I guess it depends how you say it. If you say "this is what I can get you" or "this is what I'm paying", that's fine. But if you say "this is what they are worth"... could be unethical. See the difference?

Oh, and...

B offers to help sell his miles. A agrees. B sells miles to C for 2cpm. B pays A 1.9cpm. B keeps difference.

FTFY. ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 03:57:55 PM by Moishebatchy »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 04, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
@HelpMe and Moishebatchy

Your opinion would remain the same even in spite of the fact that no mention of the word "broker" nor "commission" was uttered?

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 04, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
@HelpMe and Moishebatchy

Your opinion would remain the same even in spite of the fact that no mention of the word "broker" nor "commission" was uttered?
+1, don't think he shouldn't take a cut and I don't think that he needs to disclose his cut. But don't make like you are doing someone a favor and then profit off of it
Or say I'll buy your miles from you. Then no need to disclose anything. But to say I'll help you sell your miles and then take a cut is just wrong
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:14:11 PM by Ergel »

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #429 on: October 04, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
@HelpMe and Moishebatchy

Yes, absolutely. If I buy a case of soda cans from the makolet with the intention of selling them in yeshiva for a profit, is it unethical of me to tell the makolet owner that I'm "making money off of him"? I don't think so.

Look, mitzad the buyer, he may feel like an idiot if he ever finds out, but mitzad the seller, I don't think he's doing anything unfair. Although, this is only if...

But don't make like you are doing someone a favor and then profit off of it

If you clearly tell him "I will buy your points for X" with no emotion, no details, then you're good; but if you act all buddy-buddy as if you're doing him a favor, then no, you're not being ethical at all.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 04, 2012, 04:18:29 PM »
See my edit to previous comment. Totally agree if you say I'll buy your miles from you. But if you say I'll help you sell your miles, that's something else

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 04, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the opinions.

Slightly different scenario:

B offers to help sell his miles (with no mention of commission, brokerage, or favor). A agrees. B sells (or enters tentative deal to sell) miles to C for 2cpm. B offers to buy A's miles for 1.9cpm.

A agrees to sell at 1.9cpm.

B keeps difference.

Discuss.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
Thanks for the opinions.

B offers to help sell his miles (with no mention of commission, brokerage, or favor). A agrees. B sells (or enters tentative deal to sell) miles to C for 2cpm. B offers to buy A's miles for 1.9cpm.

B keeps difference.

Discuss.
Not sure what is different but same answer. So are you going to buy my miles for 1.9?  ;D

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 04, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the opinions.

B keeps difference.

Discuss.
As long as B presents as he is buying A 's miles and not a shliach (agent) to sell his miles I think it's fine

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Is It Ethical?
« Reply #434 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
At a 0.1 price difference you aren't ripping him off, that's the typical broker cut.

Is your question that in any case when you sell someone else's item and don't tell them if you are brokering or doing them a favor - what to tell them?

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 04, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
At a 0.1 price difference you aren't ripping him off, that's the typical broker cut.
How does that work?

If his miles are "worth" 1.5, and I offer him 1.1 and then sell them for 1.2 , I'm not ripping him off?!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 04, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »

Is your question that in any case when you sell someone else's item and don't tell them if you are brokering or doing them a favor - what to tell them?

0.1 was an example. What if it was .02? .03? etc

Well, I guess that's could be another question: Is one required to be clear, or is it assumed that if Person B is selling something for Person A that there will be a commission?

How does that work?

If his miles are "worth" 1.5, and I offer him 1.1 and then sell them for 1.2 , I'm not ripping him off?!

"worth" is a pretty ambiguous term. How are you using it?

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
"worth" is a pretty ambiguous term. How are you using it?
That's what I was trying to be bring out  :)

Is NC saying that it all boils down what person A is able* to get for their miles? (That would determine the "worth" which would allow you to figure out how much 0.1 extra would be)

*Meaning,  depending on what they know about the mileage industry  ;) and how easy/hard it is for them to find higher paying brokers, etc. . .

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »
Well, I guess that's could be another question: Is one required to be clear, or is it assumed that if Person B is selling something for Person A that there will be a commission?
If asked you should tell them the amount you are charging.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 04, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »
If asked you should tell them the amount you are charging.

But IYO, one needn't affirmatively say so outright?