Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556469 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #580 on: January 09, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »
I really do not want to continue debating this since it is taking away from my Torah learning :).. but one last time:

Object: it is being recreated, rebought, reused, restolen at every momment.

Birthday: you are being reborn and going thru each second of your life at each moment

If JJ goes to a restaurant and say "it is my birthday today", that is true, but it you said today was my "only" birthday then that is a lie.

If JJ goes into an apple store and take an Ipad off the shelf and say it is "mine" that would be a lie because the whole world is being recreated every second - the whole process keeps repeating itself, it is not an alternate world it is the same that has transpired until now it just happens over and over. so it keeps going like this: World created.. torah given.. JJ was just born! Mazal Tov!, bris, school, life.. and then walked into apple store and stole item, this is all happening at the same time at every moment.

The same goes for the object: World created.. torah give.. jj born.. jj stole ipad...

You never had access to this ipad in a state when it was not apple's, it keeps on being created and apple's possession at the same time frame that you stole it, your world and the objects world are the same world that keeps repeating itself. Apple keeps making a kniyan on it every second.

So in summery: Today is your birthday , and if you steal the object you continue to steal it over and over again.

OK let's make this easier. Today is not my birthday it is my creation day. If you want to argue with that I think we know the source of our disagreement.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
How do you know menucha's a she?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #582 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:56 PM »
How do you know menucha's a she?
lol, I took the liberty of deciding if someone chose a username that is also a girls name then I'm going to call that user a she until proven otherwise.

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #583 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
OK let's make this easier. Today is not my birthday it is my creation day. If you want to argue with that I think we know the source of our disagreement.
As you can clearly see in various Marei Makomos, for example the Bal Stoey Greifen of the Ish Mishpacha has had many travels of time and space and when he goes back and forth in time all the events keep repeating itself, you can learn from that sugyah to our sugyah that here too as the world gets recreated and everything keeps repeating itself, all that happened keeps happening again and that will happen happens to, so yes, you are born again at every moment, you were just ejected from your mothers womb over and over again.

Today is 2moro and is yesterday and is all time, so in essence if you were under 21 you can go to a liquor store and tell them today I turned 21.

It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 09, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »
As you can clearly see in various Marei Makomos, for example the Bal Stoey Greifen of the Ish Mishpacha has had many travels of time and space and when he goes back and forth in time all the events keep repeating itself, you can learn from that sugyah to our sugyah that here too as the world gets recreated and everything keeps repeating itself, all that happened keeps happening again and that will happen happens to, so yes, you are born again at every moment, you were just ejected from your mothers womb over and over again.

Today is 2moro and is yesterday and is all time, so in essence if you were under 21 you can go to a liquor store and tell them today I turned 21.

I don't even know why I'm having this conversation your dead anyway. #Justsaying

ETA- (I hope Hashem takes that excuse after 120, A dead guy isn't mechuyav in  torah mitzvos so...)

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #585 on: January 09, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
I don't even know why I'm having this conversation your dead anyway. #Justsaying
lol, funny to have a convo with a 2 month old :)
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #586 on: January 09, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
lol, funny to have a convo with a 2 month old :)
Well you did bring the Bal Stuee Groiffen...

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #587 on: January 10, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
see "Aseres Hadibros". sheker. ethical?

as an added bonus: Chilul Hashem...

So heart warming to see how "our yidden" are looking to legitimate "kol davar ra"...

oy..

thats how it starts. next is some headlines on the NY Times... so much for "ethical". go for it. just please do not appeal in my shul for "Pidyon Shvuyim for legal help". we have had it.

This is a secular forum. (which accidentally attracted a huge crowd of a certain culture/religion).
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:27 PM »
What was the question?  ::)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline kracked dude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
I just finished my 6 weeks free of ami magazine (thanks steven) and cancelled earlier this week. I was pleasantly surprised to find this weeks magazine on my doorstep today. I checked and I was not charged.
1) do I have to call them?
I did call them and they said yes it is cancelled but it seems I'm still on the delivery list, and if I get it again next week I should call back.
2) do I really have to call them next week if I get it again, or have I satisfied my moral obligations ?

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
I just finished my 6 weeks free of ami magazine (thanks steven) and cancelled earlier this week. I was pleasantly surprised to find this weeks magazine on my doorstep today. I checked and I was not charged.
I did call them and they said yes it is cancelled but it seems I'm still on the delivery list, and if I get it again next week I should call back.
2) do I really have to call them next week if I get it again, or have I satisfied my Halachic obligations ?
FTFY
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline dans fan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 10, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »
2) do I really have to call them next week if I get it again, or have I satisfied my moral obligations ?
its no different than someone intentionally leaving his keys in your house, you must return it or call them and tell them to pick it up (they may tell you to keep it)

Offline kracked dude

• View Profile
Re: Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #592 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »
FTFY
I specifically stated moral as this is the ethics thread not the Halacha thread.

Offline kracked dude

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18:59 AM »
its no different than someone intentionally leaving his keys in your house, you must return it or call them and tell them to pick it up (they may tell you to keep it)
Or is it like I got a envelope in the mail with $ in it and I have no idea why he sent it to me...do I have to ask if its a mistake? Why can't I assume he sent me a gift?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:51 AM »
I specifically stated moral as this is the ethics thread not the Halacha thread.
Not sure why this has to keep being repeated. Ethics and religion are two different things.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 11, 2013, 02:23:43 AM »
Not sure why this has to keep being repeated. Ethics and religion are two different things.
nu-uh

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 11, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
Or is it like I got a envelope in the mail with $ in it and I have no idea why he sent it to me...do I have to ask if its a mistake? Why can't I assume he sent me a gift?
I think should try and find out.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
nu-uh
"Yes way" young grasshopper.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:51 AM »
"Yes way" young grasshopper.
But gramps that's not what I was taught in school. (OK if you take me snowmobiling I'll agree :P)

eta- on a serious not. without religion why are there ethics. Who decides them? Ugh this argument is older than time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:29:59 AM by jj1000 »

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2013, 02:55:28 AM »
I was taught in school that eating meat on Friday was a sin. Now it is only a sin on Fridays during Easter. Don’t believe everything you are taught/told/read.

What is your view of atheist? Can they be ethical people?