Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 556571 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #1260 on: March 24, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »
Scenario: As I'm walking out of Target, I glance at my receipt and realize that the cashier neglected to scan a pretty expensive item.  Before I share what I did- What would you do?
This is not answering 'Is it erhical', but I bli neder would jump (and have jumped) at the chance to make a KH.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »
most amex cards give max 1k (except plat) and 300$ on return protection.
This is purchase protection which is $1k per incident

i am having a hard time understanding your q.
do you mean to ask if its ok to buy if you plan on returning as referred to by some here to "borrow" from a store?
what does it have to do with waiting for a new one
you say costco has a 90 day return policy. is this something new or just for phones
Was asking the thoughts on "borrowing it"  I want the new s5 or note 4 so was asking about "borrowing" a note 3 from costco till they come out.  The 90 day thing is standard electronics return policy
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Definitely taus akum, but therein lies the rub... this isn't the halacha thread. It's the "ethical" thread.
I have only one code governing my life. If I determine something based on halacha, there's not then another step to the inquiry (or "prong" as you would say) to determine whether it's ethical.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1263 on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
Good for you. But there is halacha, and there is doing the "right" thing. Not always do they go hand in hand.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 25, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I have only one code governing my life. If I determine something based on halacha, there's not then another step to the inquiry (or "prong" as you would say) to determine whether it's ethical.

Wow.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 25, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »
Kadaish atzmecha bemutar lach, v'al tehu novol b'rishus haTorah.
There's allowed, and yet refrain.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1266 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
Good for you. But there is halacha, and there is doing the "right" thing. Not always do they go hand in hand.
+1
You can always be Metaher a Sheretz with K"N Ta'amim

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 25, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
+1
You can always be Metaher a Sheretz with K"N Ta'amim
Not a good mashal. A sheretz isn't actually tahor, no matter how many svaros you give (that is an exercise in academia, and a strange one at that as tosfos points out)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1268 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:37 AM »
Not a good mashal. A sheretz isn't actually tahor, no matter how many svaros you give (that is an exercise in academia, and a strange one at that as tosfos points out)
True, a Naval Bereshus Hatorah would be more appropriate.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 25, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
I think you misunderstood.  I don't look to do things which are halachically permissible in a technical way. I mean I try to act in the way halacha dictates one should act in a given scenario.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
I think you misunderstood.  I don't look to do things which are halachically permissible in a technical way. I mean I try to act in the way halacha dictates one should act in a given scenario.

We're not discussing situations where halacha dictates the way one should act, rather where one may act.

Offline good sam

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 25, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
There's always a right and wrong answer

Offline Freddie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 25, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

I know that you probably meant this "l'chumra" and not "l'kula" but it came off the opposite. It would lead many to believe that as long as the shuras hadin permits something, then you are all up on it.

Vos men tor nit, tor men nit. Oon vos men meg, darf men nit.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1273 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:19 AM »

I know that you probably meant this "l'chumra" and not "l'kula" but it came off the opposite. It would lead many to believe that as long as the shuras hadin permits something, then you are all up on it.

What he said ^
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 25, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Definitely taus akum, but therein lies the rub... this isn't the halacha thread. It's the "ethical" thread.
- 1. please dont make incorrect  halacha statments as a fact. ethics may be a opinion , halacha is not

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: March 25, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
- 1. please dont make incorrect  halacha statments as a fact. ethics may be a opinion , halacha is not
Care to elaborate on why it's halachically not taus akum?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 25, 2014, 05:46:23 PM »

Please have your LOR speak to mine. K, thanks.

Or feel free to cite to your source as to why this is NOT taus akum, and I'd be happy to bring it to his attention.

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
Care to elaborate on why it's halachically not taus akum?
hate typing and have a hard time expressing myself when i type but i will try.
there are a couple of different points to address.
a)first of all t.a can only be applied to the owner of a item the cashier is not a bailim to make a toas , the only way he can do that is if they are given the rights by the owner to make mistakes there is no reason to believe that is the case (this has nothing to do with the fact that a manager is given leeway to decide evan though he is not the owner) if you think that they are given permission to make a mistake then on your way out of the store show the manager he will definitly not let you keep it, evan if once you left the store you would call and ask they often say next time you come bring it back and if they say you can keep it, its a cs tactic not because the cashier was given the bailus to make a mistake therefore its not t.a. (if they say you can keep it then your ok without t.a.
before we contin lets clear up a common mistake just to be clear t.a. does not mean a mistake was made it does not include all mistakes it means if he did a mechira (limited to the item, payment, and change which is part of payment) based on a assumption which was incorrect the michira is still chal. it does not include a mistake made outside of the challos mechira
b)when there is a itemized receipt it clearly states what you payed for anything not on there doesnt belong to you. if they wouldnt use cash register and the cashier would collect all your items and say "its a total of $xx" then it may be t.a. but a itemized reciept/bill its in other words saying this is what you are paying for any additional items you did not pay for and are not part of the mechira it makes no difference if they handed it to you or you take it off a shelf an put it in your bag it wasnt part of the mechira. similar to if the cashier puts all you items into a bag and the bag had somthing in it, it wouldn't belong to you
c)being that i am not sure exactly sure what happened at the register, lets start with scenario 1. if you are buying a couple of items and the cashier thinks you bought 5 soda and you really have six, you were given a price for six only because they thought you had five, that would be t.a but if you did have 5 soda and you olso had a chips that he didnt notice there is no mistake in the mechira he simply never sold you the chips. so if the cashier miscounted then it would be t.a. but if it was stuck or attached or hidden under a different item and therefore didnt get scanned it may not be t.a.
Please have your LOR speak to mine. K, thanks.
did you actually ask him about this case or about something else and you decided its similar
Or feel free to cite to your source as to why this is NOT taus akum, and I'd be happy to bring it to his attention.
you can explain him the above. if he dismisses it ask him for a source
its possible that you will find ppl that will disagree on part of the above but to make a statment "def taos akum" is def not true
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:41:50 PM by dans fan »

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1278 on: March 26, 2014, 02:30:52 AM »
Please change the name of this thread to “How intelligent people can really sound stupid”.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 26, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »
Please change the name of this thread to “How intelligent people can really sound stupid”.
?