Topic Wiki

This thread is to discuss whether people feel that something is unethical, not to find out what the law*/T&C says.

Any Halachic questions should be posted here.

*According to CountValentine this includes religion, but unfortunately for him, the general consensus is that religion will always be entwined in this thread.

*Hint* If you have to ask, It's most likely not ethical.
« Last edited by UKinNYS on April 13, 2021, 11:51:23 AM »

Author Topic: Is It Ethical?  (Read 568240 times)

Offline ms6

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Ethical?
« Reply #1320 on: May 01, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
The policies for the US airways card state
1. Open the card, spend $1, we'll give you 40K and charge you an annual fee of $85.
2. Close a CC within X days and we'll refund that fee.
Would it be considered ethical to open the card, wait for the miles to be posted to the US Airways account and then cancel the card and get refunded on the $85?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
1. Open the card, spend $1, we'll give you 40K and charge you an annual fee of $85.
Would it be considered ethical to open the card, wait for the miles to be posted to the US Airways account and then cancel the card and get refunded on the $85?
Sounds good to me.  (I just did it with the AA card, so I may not be the best one to answer.)
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1322 on: May 01, 2014, 12:58:45 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=12784.msg774098#msg774098

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1323 on: May 01, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
I thinks it's fine as long as you keep to the T&C. I know people tho that don't churn because they consider it unethical. If you churn, this should be fine as well.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 01, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
I know now another DDFer (albeit a newbie) in real life (as he asked me this Q and I told him to ask here) and I think it's super hilarious that you pointed him to my ethical churning Q.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1325 on: May 01, 2014, 05:24:04 PM »
I know now another DDFer (albeit a newbie) in real life (as he asked me this Q and I told him to ask here) and I think it's super hilarious that you pointed him to my ethical churning Q.
lol

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 04, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
Was reading through this thread about PGGM. It was mentioned that gift cards may be more ethical although it's against amex t & c. Since it's amex problem that they let it go through. Won't that logic apply for PGGM as well? I'm sure amex knows about it. And even if not, its their problem that they let it go through?

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
Was reading through this thread about PGGM. It was mentioned that gift cards may be more ethical although it's against amex t & c. Since it's amex problem that they let it go through. Won't that logic apply for PGGM as well? I'm sure amex knows about it. And even if not, its their problem that they let it go through?
I think that fits in with churning and BRG shtick. T&C say you won't get bonus if you've had it before. T&C say any changes made to BRG may result in rate change. Yet, people get bonuses again, and people make a 5-room 1 night BRG into 5 consecutive free nights. The company warns you that you won't get it, but then it works. Their problem?

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 05, 2014, 03:34:13 AM »
I think most hotels have a max occupancy for regular (or even some suite) rooms of 6.  You have 5+ kids.  When you make the reservation online what do you do?   We traveled cross country last summer, and many times I had this dilemma.  I just put 4 kids in the reservation, and hoped for the best.  We never had an issue (sometimes to be cautious, we staggered our arrival past the front desk, or used other doors when possible).  It really bothered me, but I don't feel their policy was really geared to large families.  They just don't want a bunch of people chipping in for one room.

What say you?

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #1329 on: May 05, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
I think most hotels have a max occupancy for regular (or even some suite) rooms of 6.  You have 5+ kids.  When you make the reservation online what do you do?   We traveled cross country last summer, and many times I had this dilemma.  I just put 4 kids in the reservation, and hoped for the best.  We never had an issue (sometimes to be cautious, we staggered our arrival past the front desk, or used other doors when possible).  It really bothered me, but I don't feel their policy was really geared to large families.  They just don't want a bunch of people chipping in for one room.

What say you?
They sometimes have the rules based on safety regulations as well.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
They sometimes have the rules based on safety regulations as well.
Good point, but my question still stands.

I've even been told (when I've tried to be upfront) to rent two non connecting rooms and have my wife and I sleep in separate rooms with our kids split up.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 05, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
Good point, but my question still stands.

I've even been told (when I've tried to be upfront) to rent two non connecting rooms and have my wife and I sleep in separate rooms with our kids split up.
That's what we were alway told, too, for regular rooms.  In the olden days, I used the AAA book.  They had / have? hotel listings in the back and we'd try to find one with a 'family suite' or something.  Those often had 2 connecting rooms and a kitchenette, and were reasonable priced.

(By now, I've B"H spun off into several families.  NOT my responsibility.
And unfortunately for my younger kids, we don't do those type of family vacations anymore.)

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 05, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
That's what we were alway told, too, for regular rooms.  In the olden days, I used the AAA book.  They had / have? hotel listings in the back and we'd try to find one with a 'family suite' or something.  Those often had 2 connecting rooms and a kitchenette, and were reasonable priced.

(By now, I've B"H spun off into several families.  NOT my responsibility.
And unfortunately for my younger kids, we don't do those type of family vacations anymore.)
But I feel when my oldest is under 10, it is ridiculous to have to get two rooms.  I would even argue from a safety perspective it is safer to have us in one room (I can ch'v direct an evacuation easier).

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 05, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
Call around to the motels at your destination.  Maybe some still have family shared double rooms.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 05, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
Call around to the motels at your destination.  Maybe some still have family shared double rooms.
I stay at Homewood Suites whenever I can.

Offline ryg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 11, 2014, 03:36:57 AM »
I know this has been discussed somewhat earlier on in the thread - I am sending my laptop in for warranty - what do you think about buying a laptop from costco - there is a 10% chance that they won't be able to fix my laptop and if they don't there is a 10% chance I might keep the costco one permanently. I have asked costco in the past and they are totally fine with it and say "please take!".

Any thoughts?

Offline yoshi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 11, 2014, 03:39:55 AM »
I know this has been discussed somewhat earlier on in the thread - I am sending my laptop in for warranty - what do you think about buying a laptop from costco - there is a 10% chance that they won't be able to fix my laptop and if they don't there is a 10% chance I might keep the costco one permanently. I have asked costco in the past and they are totally fine with it and say "please take!".

Any thoughts?

"please take!"

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 14, 2014, 11:32:50 PM »

Offline dans fan

• View Profile