Author Topic: US Census - American Community Survey - legit?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
US Census - American Community Survey - legit?
« on: January 11, 2022, 03:16:12 PM »
I got a 48-page booklet in the mail from the US Census. It's not the standard once in 10 years short census form. This one is full of intrusive questions about your income, the value of your house, your utility bills, your mental health (nothing to hide there B"H, but still feels quite intrusive).

It comes with a warning that I'm legally required to fill it out, and subject to a $5k fine if I don't, or if I answer falsely. A little online research shows that it's legit and not a scam, but I'm still not thrilled about providing the government will all this detailed info. I also found an article that said that they may follow up with phone calls and even house visits, but nobody has ever actually been fined for not complying.

Has anyone else here ever received it, and how did you handle it? Or does anyone else know anything about it and whether I should complete it or ignore it?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: US Census - American Community Survey - legit?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 04:28:50 PM »
I got a 48-page booklet in the mail from the US Census. It's not the standard once in 10 years short census form. This one is full of intrusive questions about your income, the value of your house, your utility bills, your mental health (nothing to hide there B"H, but still feels quite intrusive).

It comes with a warning that I'm legally required to fill it out, and subject to a $5k fine if I don't, or if I answer falsely. A little online research shows that it's legit and not a scam, but I'm still not thrilled about providing the government will all this detailed info. I also found an article that said that they may follow up with phone calls and even house visits, but nobody has ever actually been fined for not complying.

Has anyone else here ever received it, and how did you handle it? Or does anyone else know anything about it and whether I should complete it or ignore it?

If they had an online version and all I gave them was my age range, gender, and census tract (there are 79 people who match that criteria), I might be more inclined to respond.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 07:29:11 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it...

Was it sent certified mail?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 07:40:37 PM »
Was it sent certified mail?

lol no chance
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:42:32 PM »
lol no chance
Then why the worry...

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
I once got one of these. There was a link to complete the survey online, iirc. I actually wanted to do it, but never got around to it.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 11:37:17 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey
Approximately one third of those who do not respond to the survey by mail or telephone are randomly selected for in-person interviews.
Those who decline to complete the survey may receive visits to their homes from Census Bureau personnel
To date, no person has been prosecuted for refusing to answer the ACS.

They need a certain level of response in order to have statistically correct results.
I think that they sometimes offer people money if they need more responses.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 07:05:37 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey
They need a certain level of response in order to have statistically correct results.
I think that they sometimes offer people money if they need more responses.
When I was a kid, my family got one of these.  I remember my father making up answers, like it was a game.  I'd guess 50% or more of the respondents to this do the same.  No way it's statistically accurate.
44/50, 46/63