Topic Wiki

PSA: PLEASE BE AWARE OF ALL OF THE RISKS INHERENT IN BETTING OF ANY TYPE BEFORE DEPOSITING MONEY THAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE.

PSA: If you're already caught up in this and don't know how to stop, or can't stop, or are in too much trouble to believe that you can ever be normal again...PM me.

There is hope.

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 21, 2022, 11:13:03 AM »

Author Topic: [PSA: Gambling Is Risky And Addictive] Sports Betting Account Signup Bonuses  (Read 26986 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
@hvaces42
how safe is this:
So its not really exhibit A cuz im asking before doing so as to learn from those more knowledgeable.

Im not betting again. im 1000% disciplined. and i only want to be with the house money not my own. just want to do an easy risk free bet. if i lose and just waste time thats okay by me.

So with that cleared, it does seem to be a no brainer. i just want to see if im missing anything else besides the obvious potential pitfall of getting sucked in. Someone previously above helpfully noted that you need to take on a -300 bet and not a very high odds lock type of bet.

Is there any other potential pitfalls with this?
?

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
"It's not the losing that destroys every gambler, it's the winning that does it."
Exactly!  And It would be sad to see even one person here destroy their life for $3k
#TYH

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
@hvaces42
how safe is this:?
For a compulsive gambler, as safe as suicide. When I hear "1000% disciplined" I cringe. Who is so certain?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
"It's not the losing that destroys every gambler, it's the winning that does it."
Rav Yisroel Reisman repeated a story about someone he knew, a frum Jew, who was in Vagas and decided to try out the slots for his first time.

He walked in, clearly a newbie, and bought his first batch of chips. Minutes later, he was back at the counter, having lost all his chips, and he bought some more. It only took him another few minutes for him to lose the entire second batch, and dejected, he started to walk out. As he passed the counter, the attendant looked at him and whispered, "Wow, G-d really loves you. You should see what happens to the people who get the taste of winning."

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
im 1000% disciplined.

Generally speaking, for people with addictive tendencies (and someone can have that and not know it at all, part of why people slip down this slope is lack of self awareness), it's this kind of hubris that allows for people to become addicted, thinking that addiction is for other people and not themselves. And for people in addiction recovery, it's the humility to admit (even after being clean for decades) that they're still susceptible to falling off the wagon that helps keep them sober/clean.

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
אל תאמין בעצמך עד יום מותך

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
Generally speaking, for people with addictive tendencies (and someone can have that and not know it at all, part of why people slip down this slope is lack of self awareness), it's this kind of hubris that allows for people to become addicted, thinking that addiction is for other people and not themselves. And for people in addiction recovery, it's the humility to admit (even after being clean for decades) that they're still susceptible to falling off the wagon that helps keep them sober/clean.

Exactly

Ego vs Humility

A decade plus clean from gambling and I don't say I'll never gamble again. I dont need to gamble again. But I want to. Same goes for smoking 9+ years later. I'm not nearly as disciplined as I should be.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
So many people started gambling just by getting a small free bet.  This is so dangerous. Yes it can happen to anyone and I sincerely hope it won't happen to anyone here trying to milk a system that is stacked so high against the bettor

Including this guy. It's a very sad outcome.

&feature=youtu.be

It’s much worse than a small free bet. With small bets, someone disciplined might have an easy time sticking with small bets for entertainment value. However betting thousands at a shot turns it into an investment. You can pay your rent for months with the winnings. These promos normalize pulling the trigger on massive sums that most would never have attempted.

ETA: I’m not condoning small bets
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
אל תאמין בעצמך עד יום מותך

100%. This was suggested as one explanation for why we read the עריות on YK afternoon. On this hold day, one might think they’ve risen above and aren’t susceptible to such grave sins, and we need a reminder that everyone has a יצר הרע are susceptible to sin and must therefore be aware and take precautions to stay away from that.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Exactly

Ego vs Humility

A decade plus clean from gambling and I don't say I'll never gamble again. I dont need to gamble again. But I want to. Same goes for smoking 9+ years later. I'm not nearly as disciplined as I should be.

Your honesty and humility (as with many people in recovery) is beautiful. Wishing you the strength and courage to be the best version of yourself every single day.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
PSA: If you're already caught up in this and don't know how to stop, or can't stop, or are in too much trouble to believe that you can ever be normal again...PM me.

There is hope.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I’ll bet (no pun intended) that the community as a whole pays out a lot more money to help all of those who become addicted than all of the winnings combined.

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
This thread sure took a dark turn.

As pointed out late in this thread the T&C's state: Wagers must be at odds greater than -300 apply to wagering requirements. i.e. a wager at -250 will be eligible, but a wager at -400 will not be.

So basically, you can throw out everything that was said about hedging. It was based on the spread and not the money line.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
I’ll bet (no pun intended) that the community as a whole pays out a lot more money to help all of those who become addicted than all of the winnings combined.
I dont use that word anymore and you are partially correct. If you bail out a compulsive gambler you're only giving them a clean slate to mess up again. Supporting their family directly is another story.

It is a growing problem in our community and getting worse by the day. If someone is able to stop in this environment its a miracle.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile

As pointed out late in this thread the T&C's state: Wagers must be at odds greater than -300 apply to wagering requirements. i.e. a wager at -250 will be eligible, but a wager at -400 will not be.

So basically, you can throw out everything that was said about hedging. It was based on the spread and not the money line.

You're newish here...

Here's a dark turn for you.

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=86975.0

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile

So I can put down 3k at -250. if i win i make 40% on 3k or 1.2k and IF i stop right there I can withdraw 4.2k after the time required?
Must I use my 3k that i deposit or can i use the match money first?
Is a restriction likely if i only make 1 bet like the above and withdraw afterwards?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Some have asked that this thread be removed.

Upon consideration and based on the general policy to allow open discussion here whenever possible, it will be left so that people can be properly informed of all the risks involved.

Personally I'm torn. Many say that the cc/mileage game is also inherently bad and designed to entrap people in debt, and to some extent that's true, you need to be very disciplined. But I also hear that gambling is inherently different and designed to be addictive, much like a drug dealer giving a free sample to get addicted clients. Being disciplined may not be good enough in this case.

At any rate, if anyone would like to write an op-ed for DDMS on the pitfalls/dangers of taking advantage of these offers, feel free to PM me. Happy to help edit it, but I don't feel like I have the expertise to write it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
So I can put down 3k at -250. if i win i make 40% on 3k or 1.2k and IF i stop right there I can withdraw 4.2k after the time required?
Must I use my 3k that i deposit or can i use the match money first?
Is a restriction likely if i only make 1 bet like the above and withdraw afterwards?
You need 3.3k in total bets (1 or many) for the bonus cash to become withdrawable. It pulls from cash deposited first. After that all funds become withdrawable. So it will be funds deposited, +/- wager outcomes, plus your bonus.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Personally I'm torn. Many say that the cc/mileage game is also inherently bad and designed to entrap people in debt, and to some extent that's true, you need to be very disciplined. But I also hear that gambling is inherently different and designed to be addictive, much like a drug dealer giving a free sample to get addicted clients. Being disciplined may not be good enough in this case.

This thread definitely made me think about my story with CCs and contrast it.

Take me for example, and I'm saying this even though I'm not anonymous. I found DD and started opening up credit cards and earning miles. It was awesome. Did a whole bunch of things I could never have afforded. Paid my bills on time, had a amazing credit score without a penny to my name. Life happened. Expenses ended up being more than I was earning. One job cut my salary by 40% rather than fire me outright. I was never an extravagant spender, don't have a car, live in a small apartment, but the CC bills became unpayable. I did 0% balance transfers and was treading water for a while. Then I missed a payment on one card. Then another on a different card. Before I knew it I was 80k in the whole, with no shovel to dig out of it.

I hate to say it, but I worry that more DD(F)ers fell into this than we like to imagine. No CC farms, no swiping scams, just spending more than we can afford to on high interest CCs.

Anyone who knows me IRL would guess that I have spreadsheets up the wazoo, and would be so on top of things it could never happen to me. The dangers of credit cards are a tiny fraction of the dangers of gambling.

Please, please be careful folks.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
This thread definitely made me think about my story with CCs and contrast it.

Anyone who knows me IRL would guess that I have spreadsheets up the wazoo, and would be so on top of things it could never happen to me. The dangers of credit cards are a tiny fraction of the dangers of gambling.

Please, please be careful folks.
Same dangers. Less stigma. Thank you for sharing your story.