Topic Wiki

PSA: PLEASE BE AWARE OF ALL OF THE RISKS INHERENT IN BETTING OF ANY TYPE BEFORE DEPOSITING MONEY THAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE.

PSA: If you're already caught up in this and don't know how to stop, or can't stop, or are in too much trouble to believe that you can ever be normal again...PM me.

There is hope.

« Last edited by Yehuda57 on January 21, 2022, 11:13:03 AM »

Author Topic: [PSA: Gambling Is Risky And Addictive] Sports Betting Account Signup Bonuses  (Read 26948 times)

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Personally I'm torn. Many say that the cc/mileage game is also inherently bad and designed to entrap people in debt, and to some extent that's true, you need to be very disciplined. But I also hear that gambling is inherently different and designed to be addictive, much like a drug dealer giving a free sample to get addicted clients. Being disciplined may not be good enough in this case.
This is more dangerous and requires that much more discipline. I would say it is more like playing the BT (balance transfer) game.

Offline sddd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
You need 3.3k in total bets (1 or many) for the bonus cash to become withdrawable. It pulls from cash deposited first. After that all funds become withdrawable. So it will be funds deposited, +/- wager outcomes, plus your bonus.

From a tax perspective it seems like it there may be a downside?
Supposing you lose the 3.3k bet. Then you withdraw the 3k bonus thinking you are now square.
But the bonus 3k might be taxable...

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
This is more dangerous and requires that much more discipline. I would say it is more like playing the BT (balance transfer) game.
The elephant in the room here when comparing to credit cards and balance transfers, is that sports gambling is exponentially more addictive.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
The elephant in the room here when comparing to credit cards and balance transfers, is that sports gambling is exponentially more addictive.
Is gambling really more addictive than debt? I am pretty sure there are many more compulsive spenders than there are compulsive gamblers.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Is gambling really more addictive than debt? I am pretty sure there are many more compulsive spenders than there are compulsive gamblers.

Compulsion and addiction aren’t the same (though there are some overlaps).
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
And many people are limited to how much available credit they have to spend at a given time & banks can reduce it or shut it entirely depending on the circumstances. But both dangerous, even if the banks won’t come looking to kill you.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
The rush you get from earning a SUB is far different than the instant gratification of sports betting. I remembrr when I stopped gambling that weekly options expiration were just coming into play I BH never had to be tempted by that. The quicker the gratification the more addictive something can get. For instance scratchoff lottery tickets vs waiting for a twice weekly drawing for a much bigger prize.

I know a rebbe in a yeshiva who sunk 700k into quickdraw lottery. He would hang out in the back of a bodega and watch the drawings for hours. The allure of quick, easy money is what this all is.

Ive offered to cooperate on the op-ed @Dan suggested. I'll try to incorporate some of this into that piece.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline R.A.T.

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Gambling addiction is a serious problem and should be talked about. Can we split that into another thread? This thread is about a pure arbitrage opportunity.

Offline beeweegee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Gambling addiction is a serious problem and should be talked about. Can we split that into another thread? This thread is about a pure arbitrage opportunity.
...that isn't that "pure," with the potential to easily develop a dangerous addiction. Not sure it's a great idea to separate the two, at least for now while this offer is ongoing. Maybe split once it expires?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There are various issues being discussed here that are being conflated, though as stated before there is some overlap:
- Someone with addictive tendencies can partake in behaviors that allow those tendencies to grow and their decision-making to be clouded
- The complexity of playing these games (CC, BGs, MS, mint coins, other such things) even when the risk/reward is clearly defined, and when done right the risks are minimal/justified, there’s still a lot to keep track of and when scaled up the losses could get mount if things aren’t tracked/go wrong
- Exacerbated by the fact that l a lot of money is being risked and moved around, in the anticipation of profits. Sometimes a lot of capital is being risked where in each cycle the potential gain is much smaller than the gain ($100 mint coin or BG item for $20 profit), $1000 CC spend for the miles/points/cb, $10k spend requirement for $1k signup bonus, etc).
- When things go wrong, it’s about more than just losing the profit or the capital invested: someone can ruin their credit, end up in debt, develop mental/physical health issues from the inherent stress in living with these issues and not seeing the way out, and shame may preclude them from seeking help/support from others

The hustle mentality, the desperate need for income supplements, the fact that “everyone’s doing it”, and not considering the risks above and effort involved, blindly lead people down this path.

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
$3,300 offer seems dead. Anyone see anything?

Offline JMHO

• View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
You're newish here...

Here's a dark turn for you.

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=86975.0
I disagree with your label of the prison thread as dark.

Hvaces42's story is anything but dark. It shows how someone can look back at a terrible period and hold their head up high, using their experience to help others, and to share what they went through with others with the polished lens of hindsight. There is a reason why we all loved reading his story. Not because it was dark; to the contrary, because he told it positively, directly, and with a perspective of illumination.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Hvaces42's story is anything but dark. There is a reason why we all loved reading his story.
Link?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
I disagree with your label of the prison thread as dark.

Hvaces42's story is anything but dark. It shows how someone can look back at a terrible period and hold their head up high, using their experience to help others, and to share what they went through with others with the polished lens of hindsight. There is a reason why we all loved reading his story. Not because it was dark; to the contrary, because he told it positively, directly, and with a perspective of illumination.
Thank you for the kind words...but I'll label it what I want...its my story
 :-)
Its the dark side of what getting caught up in gambling can lead to.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
Thank you for the kind words...but I'll label it what I want...its my story
 :-)
Its the dark side of what getting caught up in gambling can lead to.
I just realized that you were the one who posted that  :-[

Yes, you can call it what you want.

Offline yakov116

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
At any rate, if anyone would like to write an op-ed for DDMS on the pitfalls/dangers of taking advantage of these offers, feel free to PM me. Happy to help edit it, but I don't feel like I have the expertise to write it.

@YitzyS Please can we have a draft?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
@YitzyS Please can we have a draft?
I (thankfully) know very little about the subject.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I (thankfully) know very little about the subject.

But you’re a writer, anything you make up will be good :P