Author Topic: Going to Israel 2 weeks before Pesach. Should I book ASAP or wait?  (Read 11421 times)

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I'm leaving from NYC.  I'm thinking of either returning 1 week before the chag or on chol hamo'ed.  In any case, should I book now or wait a while - in hopes of the airfare going down as the date approaches?  The best I've found so far is approx. $1100 nonstop on Delta.

Another question: I have 51,889 SkyMiles (not sure how the heck I got so many).  I'm a newbie at redeeming miles.  Would that be enough for a flight to Israel?  If it is enough, then I guess there's no point in waiting to book.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Going to Israel 2 weeks before Pesach. Should I book ASAP or wait?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:40:55 PM »
Another question: I have 51,889 SkyMiles (not sure how the heck I got so many).  I'm a newbie at redeeming miles.  Would that be enough for a flight to Israel?  If it is enough, then I guess there's no point in waiting to book.

Not enough.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:58:06 PM »
Not even for coach?  How many do I need?  And can I use my 51,889 SkyMiles to pay for part of the ticket?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 11:15:51 PM »
Not even for coach?  How many do I need?  And can I use my 51,889 SkyMiles to pay for part of the ticket?

Did you bother to look at the link I posted?

No. (Unless you want to buy the rest of the miles from DL or have a points that can be transferred into DL.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
If you have an Amex Delta Gold card, you can use points and cash to pay for your ticket. The points are used as .01 per point. 50000 points=500.00.

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
Did you bother to look at the link I posted?

No. (Unless you want to buy the rest of the miles from DL or have a points that can be transferred into DL.)
No, I didn't notice that your comment was clickable.  (I rarely post here).  But according to that link, it looks like I DO have enough miles.  I'm not sure if Israel falls under Europe or Middle east, but they start at 30K and 40K miles, respectively.  Right?

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
If you have an Amex Delta Gold card, you can use points and cash to pay for your ticket. The points are used as .01 per point. 50000 points=500.00.
I don't have that card.  I have only 1 credit card, Citibank Mastercard.  (I do deals, but not credit card or travel deals, like most people on this forum.)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
No, I didn't notice that your comment was clickable.  (I rarely post here).  But according to that link, it looks like I DO have enough miles.  I'm not sure if Israel falls under Europe or Middle east, but they start at 30K and 40K miles, respectively.  Right?
"Award mileage shown is each-way based on a required round-trip or multi-leg Award Ticket purchase."
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:48 PM »
I don't have that card.  I have only 1 credit card, Citibank Mastercard.  (I do deals, but not credit card or travel deals, like most people on this forum.)

You're either going to have to 1) transfer some miles in (seemingly not an option), or 2) sign up for a credit card which will award you DL miles or their equivalent, or 3) pay for your ticket.

(Or 4) find someone, friend or family member, who is willing to transfer enough miles into your account to top it off.)

"Award mileage shown is each-way based on a required round-trip or multi-leg Award Ticket purchase."

What he said.

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:11 PM »
You're either going to have to 1) transfer some miles in (seemingly not an option), or 2) sign up for a credit card which will award you DL miles or their equivalent, or 3) pay for your ticket.

(Or 4) find someone, friend or family member, who is willing to transfer enough miles into your account to top it off.)

What he said.
How would I do option 1 and why do you say it's "seemingly not an option"?  How much would it cost me to buy enough miles from Delta?  Also, I have lots of Thank-you points from Citibank.  Can they be used to get miles?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
How would I do option 1 and why do you say it's "seemingly not an option"?  How much would it cost me to buy enough miles from Delta?  Also, I have lots of Thank-you points from Citibank.  Can they be used to get miles?

--Not an option because you don't seem to have any miles to transfer into your DL account (from an AMEX MR card as an example)
--Goooooogle (<----- yes, that's a link) is awesome.
--No. (Unless, of course, you sell them and buy DL miles with the cash  ;D )

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
Thanks.  Is Israel considered Europe or Middle east?  I'll try to figure out how much it'll cost me to buy the miles.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks.  Is Israel considered Europe or Middle east?  I'll try to figure out how much it'll cost me to buy the miles.

Israel is in the Middle East :P

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:27 PM »
Israel is in the Middle East :P
Hmm, so I need almost 29,000 miles.  Maybe I should just pay for this ticket and then I'll have enough miles for a free flight next time (I hope).

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
Hmm, so I need almost 29,000 miles.  Maybe I should just pay for this ticket and then I'll have enough miles for a free flight next time (I hope).
My two cents. Use delta for a national flight one day and fly CO with $$. Deltas awards program is bad news.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
My two cents. Use delta for a national flight one day and fly CO with $$. Deltas awards program is bad news.
As is Delta's ancient plane they fly to TLV.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
As is Delta's ancient plane they fly to TLV.
Supposed to be retrofitted this year IIRC
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Uri

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 04:15:37 PM »
What's CO?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile