Author Topic: Auto insurance – my car was totaled, what do I do? Not at fault.  (Read 4578 times)

Offline bhoaem

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Auto insurance – my car was totaled, what do I do? Not at fault.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 07:35:47 PM »
OK. So Allstate (at-fault driver's insurance) completed appraisal of my car, and, according to a used car dealer friend of mine, it was a fair appraisal.

However, there's virtually no chance I will be able to buy a car that's just as good for that amount.

There has not been an offer made. There were soft tissue injuries in this crash and we were assigned an injury adjuster though we haven't spoken yet. I'm not expecting anything for those as this is NJ and I have limited tort. If it counts as anything, the vehicle occupants were transported to the hospital by ambulance.

I've heard of people getting larger payouts due to market conditions but was wondering if anyone here had any experience/advice.
My car was totalled this last summer I can share my experience if that helps.
( The appraisal  was done via the Geico app. If you did it in person it might be different.)
 I was able to up the offer by looking up listings of similar cars and comparing the condition and price. Find some that act in your favor and send those to the appraiser. For example my car had a powered driver's seat and that added a bit. (I did find 2 cars that should have helped my avg value go up but for that he needed pics of my cars engine and interior and I was sure it was worth the bother of cleaning  it up like they do in the dealership  pictures.)
If you have any repairs you made you can try to send receipts for those. I had replaced my tires in the prior year.