Author Topic: Have You Experienced Anti-Semitism? Share Your Story  (Read 11382 times)

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Have You Experienced Anti-Semitism? Share Your Story
« on: February 09, 2022, 02:17:47 PM »
Based on this thread it seems some people don't realize how common Anti-Semitism is.

I'm not sure how you'd define an anti-semitic experience, but that's also a conversation to have.

Is just being called Jew Boy anti-semitic? Cars drive by and yell slurs?

Bh I've never been assaulted physically, but in a small grocery store in Lithuania a group of teens started singing throw the Jew down the well, when they saw me alone, was pretty scary. And that night someone sprayed swastikas on Jewish sites across the city. We met with the US ambassador to Lithuania the next day and spoke about how to help teach kids in school Jews aren't bad.

What's your story?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Have You Experienced Anti-Semitism? Share Your Story
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 02:30:38 PM »
Is just being called Jew Boy anti-semitic? Cars drive by and yell slurs?
Most likely and yes.

Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 02:31:37 PM »
Someone shouted something about Hitler at me on the street late at night once (not much of a story).

teens started singing throw the Jew down the well when they saw me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_My_Country_There_Is_Problem
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 02:34:11 PM »
Most likely and yes.

If that's the case then I highly doubt that there is a single identifiably Jewish person who has not experienced AS.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 02:34:56 PM »
Verbally many times. Physically attacked as well.
Here’s one
Me & my children had to face down a hateful verbal assault today. My crime ? Being in a big public park which my tax dollars go towards. Me & every child of mine were wearing masks. He wasn’t. He started with the regular garbage that we need Hitler back to finish the job. And then he threatened to come F us up.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:37:01 PM »
Is just being called Jew Boy anti-semitic?

Is just being called the N-word racist? Sure, "Jew-boy" isn't much of a slur, but using
someone's ethnicity as a pejorative is an expression of negativity towards that ethnicity.
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Online farmbochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 02:47:06 PM »
My experience: Egged while walking home from an MS errand. Thankfully it didn't crack until it hit the ground More importantly, the perpetrator cowardly drove off; I had tons of Amazon GC's in my pocket!

DW's experience: At previous employment, ownership was frum, but she was the only frum employee. Without invoking antisemitism, she communicated to HR that hostility from another employee was adversely affecting her productivity. HR's response: "You have to understand where XXXX is coming from. She's had negative experiences with Jews in the workplace before." Too bad HR didn't put that in writing.
Risk is opportunity

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 02:58:50 PM »
I'm not sure how you'd define an anti-semitic experience, but that's also a conversation to have.

This is the thing.

I wrote this a while back:

Quote from: yehuda57 link=http://bit.ly/lbfwd
Every single recognizably Jewish person I know has experienced anti-Semitism, and yet I have never reported a hate crime and no one I know of ever has.

Some people said to me, "But I've never experienced it." Then I would ask, "Really? You never heard anyone say something anti-Jewish to you?" or something similar, and the response would be "Sure, I've had that happen loads of times, but nothing dangerous." or something similar. We've become so accustomed to it, unless there's a violent component, many don't even realize there's anything wrong. One friend told me he'd never experienced antisemitism, and I responded, "We were on the train together in France with people cursing and threatening us!" and he waved it off like it was nothing.

Stuff like this happens *all the time*:

https://twitter.com/Squilled/status/1161113163758231552

A while back people were posting to Twitter with the hashtag #meJew

https://twitter.com/hashtag/mejew?src=hashtag_click

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 03:08:48 PM »
Last week I’m standing outside with my little girl when this older couple pass by. He comes over to me & says “you f***** Jews are the most narrow minded & disgusting people”.
Never seen him before.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »
This is the thing.

I wrote this a while back:

Some people said to me, "But I've never experienced it." Then I would ask, "Really? You never heard anyone say something anti-Jewish to you?" or something similar, and the response would be "Sure, I've had that happen loads of times, but nothing dangerous." or something similar. We've become so accustomed to it, unless there's a violent component, many don't even realize there's anything wrong. One friend told me he'd never experienced antisemitism, and I responded, "We were on the train together in France with people cursing and threatening us!" and he waved it off like it was nothing.

Stuff like this happens *all the time*:

A while back people were posting to Twitter with the hashtag #meJew

https://twitter.com/hashtag/mejew?src=hashtag_click
It's kind of a survival tactic right? If I'm always worried about how people hate me, I won't live my life.

Funny you mention being spit on, just remembered I was spit on on the subway once, on the face, I looked for a cop for 2 seconds, didn't see one and kept walking. Didn't think of that in forever. Suppressed so I can move on...

It's a healthy attitude in some ways, but I suppose you can say it prolongs the problem?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 03:21:45 PM »
Another thing some don’t realize is that many of these cases are happening in the heart of Jewish communities. Many Jews are too afraid to walk through certain neighborhoods, & for good reason. Otherwise there’d be many more.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
Another thing some don’t realize is that many of these cases are happening in the heart of Jewish communities.
How about places without a large Jewish presence? Same, worse or better?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:27 PM »
On a beautiful summer Friday night we were singing zemiros with the windows open when a stone came crashing through the window and landed in our dinning room.
A few weeks later it was a BB gun through the newly repaired window, also on a Friday night.

1938, Berlin?
Nope.

Around 1988, Lakewood.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »
It's kind of a survival tactic right? If I'm always worried about how people hate me, I won't live my life.

Funny you mention being spit on, just remembered I was spit on on the subway once, on the face, I looked for a cop for 2 seconds, didn't see one and kept walking. Didn't think of that in forever. Suppressed so I can move on...

It's a healthy attitude in some ways, but I suppose you can say it prolongs the problem?

Right, I don't think we should focus on how often this happens, but I believe others should know how bad it is.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 03:30:32 PM »
I have had things hurled my way a million times - Kike, f-ing jew, you name it (not to mention the occasional pennies). The few times that stand out (only because I vividly remember them):

- In middle school, I was chased by a gang of kids towards the city bus stop on the way home from school. (Bensonhurst)
- At least twice, I'd shown up for interviews where a 'Saturday' job requirement miraculously appeared that wasn't mentioned in the job ad or phone screen
- In HS, we were playing on our local public school court and were told - only one team of jews at time. One of the frum guys playing was falling out of bounds lobbed the ball at one of the non-jewish guys cojones, and hit a bullseye - the police were ultimately called.
- I was walking in the street in Flatbush the week of the Baruch Goldstein incident, and as I passed by a group of what appeared to be arabs, one of them shouted - 'don't shoot!'

Of course, these are all miniscule by comparison to my friends who lived through the Crown Heights riots and then some.

I often talk to colleagues about Jewish fear. I worked in a nice part of Connecticut  for a while, in a town that had a longstanding 'No Dogs, no jews' reputation. I'd never run with my Yarmulka (either a hat or bandana) and I'd always worry about getting stopped or arrested.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 03:41:26 PM »
Off the top of my head,
-Was egged in Crown Heights (2003)
-Was slurred/cursed at in Palm Springs (2005)
-Was spit on in Paris (2010)
Japan was the best (2005). People just wanted to take pictures with us!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 04:01:06 PM »
I’ve had some recent incidents in Brooklyn where people of other races projected racism into me and made it about “people of my type”. It’s racial tension/inferiority with some good ol anti-Semitism sprinkled in.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
ever hadd anyone request to see under your hat to check for horns?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »
ever hadd anyone request to see under your hat to check for horns?
Yes, on a Greyhound bus. Not the craziest thing to happen on a Greyhound though 🤣

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »
I've been yelled at from a passing car 'efffing jews'.
Also had the regular dirty looks, attitude given etc.
Gotten remarkable questions from people, but I wouldn't necessarily call that anti-semitisim, more like misinformation perpetuated by shows like Unorthodox etc.