Author Topic: Chabad Nigunim Named After Ukrainian Cities  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Chabad Nigunim Named After Ukrainian Cities
« on: March 02, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »
Continuing on the lines of:

Not even close to analogous.

To give you an idea of Chabad history in Russia/USSR would take far too long, but some of the people you are conversing with had grandparents and great grandparents sent to the gulag or killed. Their uncles, aunts, cousins, etc. Spoke out against Stalin and risked their lives, literally, to save others. The names of cities being spoken about in the news are familiar to us all. We grew up hearing them, and how our families suffered and sacrificed to fight against the regime.

Many of us have relatives in the Ukraine and Russia. I have second cousins there, my wife has many. This isn't a thought exercise for us.

Trust me, if Berel Lazar is not speaking up, it's not because Chabad Shluchim lack courage. If he had to die to save a Jew in Charkov, he'd do it without blinking.

For Lubavitchers, one of the more surreal parts of the war in Ukraine is seeing the names of cities that we have grown up hearing about in stories.

The Rebbe was born in Nikolaev (now Mykolaiv) and grew up in Yekatrinoslav (which later became Dnipropetrovsk and now Dnipro) where his father was chief rabbi.

And every Lubavitcher has friends posting about their experiences going on Merkaz Shlichus to Ukraine.

There are also several Chabad nigunim named after the city where they were composed, off the top of my hear, there's Poltava, Nikolayev (Dnipro), Kremenchuk. And while we're at it, let's throw in Dokshitz (Dokshytsy, Belarus) and Rostov for good measure ;D. Anything else I'm missing?

One of my highlights of the week in YOEC (Yeshiva Ohr Elchonon Chabad) was singing nigunim like the Poltava Nigun or Kremenchuker Berelach during seder nigunim between Mincha and Maariv on Shabbos and the soulful nigunim would carry us far, far away from Los Angeles. Only Ki Hinei Kachomer is as hauntingly beautiful for me: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=83877.msg2143978#msg2143978

Poltava Nigun
"Poltava, Ukraine, 1882. The Shabbat meal is long finished. While most are taking a Shabbat rest, we will make our way to the main synagogue. Quietly we will slip in and sit on a bench the corner. Do you hear a haunting melody? Look, there is someone wrapped in a prayer shawl, slowly swaying. Ah, it's the Rabbi of the town, Reb Yankov Mordechai, still praying, quite oblivious to the time of day. Listen closely as he hums this tune as he bridges the gap between the finite and the infinite."

Rav Yaakov Mordechai was the Rav of Poltava in Ukraine and chassid of the Rebbe Maharash and the Rebbe Rashab, he passed away 30 Tishrei, 5676 (1915).

Sung by Avraham Fried, which he considers his favorite nigun. "For me, that captures the longing of the neshamah as it wishes to be closer to Hashem.”

Sung by Eli Marcus:
https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/music_cdo/aid/4186825/jewish/Singing-the-Poltava-Nigun.htm

Sung by Yoeli Horowitz/Shlomo Zalman Horowitz/Shirah Choir:

Sung by Shlomo Simcha:

Sung by Rabbi Menachem Amar:

Sung by Reb Zalmen Bronstein:

https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/music_cdo/aid/140765/jewish/Poltava-Ravs-Nigun.htm

Instrumental by Nadav Bachar-Pshita:

Kremenchuker Berelach, composed by Lubavitcher chasidim in Kremenchuk.
"In Kremenchug there were several well known Chabad Chassidim known as the “Berelach,” meaning that it happened that they were all named Dov or Ber: Reb Dov ben Reb Moshe—“Berel Moshe’s,” Reb Dov Masayov, Reb Chaim Ber Vilensky, and another three or four Dovs. They were called the “Kremenchuker Berelach.” They were great intellectuals and had deep powerful emotions as well. They would daven at length with heart and sweet song, and they would all chazer Chassidus. All of the Chassidim in Kremenchug—even the Polish non-Chabad ones—were in awe of them and admired them"

Sung by Avraham Fried:

Nigun Nikolayev
This nigun was composed by the musically talented Charitonov brothers, and was sung by the Chassidim of Nikolayev.

Sung by Mendel Baumgarten/Sholom Horowitz:
https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/music_cdo/aid/140780/jewish/Nigun-Nikolayev.htm

Sung by Menachem Amar:
https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/music_cdo/aid/4383954/jewish/Nigun-Nikolaev.htm

Instrumental Zalman Goldstein/Yaron Gershovsky

Rostover Nigun
"This is one of the more serious of the Chabad melodies, characterized by its deep feeling and soul searching expression. The Rebbe "Rashab" was fond of this melody and sang it often. During World-War I, he left his native city of Lubavitch and settled in Rostov, where he resided until his passing in 5680 (1920). It is therefore known as the Rostover Nigun - melody. The melody is usually sung before the Rebbe began his Torah or Chassidic discourses."

Sung by Avraham Fried:

Instrumental Zalman Goldstein/Yaron Gershovsky

Dokshitzer Nigun
"Chassidim brought to Lubavitch tunes from various localities, which were called after their places of origin. This melody was composed by the Chabad disciples of Dokshitz, a small chassidic town in the Vilna district. It is a lively tune of four stanzas. The joy and gaiety increase in intensity from stanza to stanza. This melody is often sung at chassidic gatherings."

Sung by Zalman Levin:
https://www.chabad.org/multimedia/music_cdo/aid/140748/jewish/Dokshitzer-Nigun.htm

May the nigunim find their way to the heavens, and stop the senseless loss of life in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:31:01 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Chabad Nigunim Named After Ukrainian Cities
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 08:45:36 PM »
Thanks Dan, great roundup. Isn’t Dokshitz in Belarus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokshytsy

Same question for Rostov? Isn’t that in Russia?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 08:49:49 PM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 08:55:01 PM »
Thanks Dan, great roundup. Isn’t Dokshitz in Belarus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokshytsy

Same question for Rostov? Isn’t that in Russia?

Thanks!

Yes. If Russia/Belarus want Ukraine, I gave them some of their own medicine ;)

There are also several Chabad nigunim named after the city where they were composed, off the top of my hear, there's Poltava, Nikolayev (Dnipro), Kremenchuk. And while we're at it, let's throw in Dokshitz (Dokshytsy, Belarus) and Rostov for good measure ;D. Anything else I'm missing?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 09:30:54 PM »
Great writeup. DDMS worthy.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 09:35:24 PM »
Great writeup. DDF Newsletter worthy.
FTFM
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 11:07:17 PM »
The only one I've heard before is the Rostover niggun.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 11:19:08 PM »
The only one I've heard before is the Rostover niggun.
Chaval.
Like going through life without in-depth learning of the Seder Hishtalshelus, Perek לב Tanya, or מאמר ביום עשתי עשר תשל"א.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2022, 04:05:43 AM »
I was going to include the niggunim in my post, but didn't want it to get too long.

Great post. ETA: not just because you included my grandfather

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2022, 10:20:59 AM »
I was going to include the niggunim in my post, but didn't want it to get too long.

Great post. ETA: not just because you included my grandfather
👂

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 01:58:00 PM »
Once you're including White Russia; what about Zhebiner hartz?
One of my favorite melodies

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
9 Jewish Songs from Ukraine - Chabad.org/5425167

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 03:18:07 PM »
9 Jewish Songs from Ukraine - Chabad.org/5425167
From my YOEC classmate, nice!

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2022, 03:45:28 PM »
And all other chassidisen from further west in Ukraine (Galicia) also have songs on the towns' names.

Belz Belz 🎶🎶

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2022, 08:31:25 AM »
And all other chassidisen from further west in Ukraine (Galicia) also have songs on the towns' names.

Belz Belz 🎶🎶

Was that a Chassidesh song? I don't think so.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
Can never get enough Poltava :)
What a voice!

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 02:51:45 AM »
No, far from it!
(And FTR, that Belz [in מיין שטעטעלע] is a completely different Belz from the one the Chassidus is named after)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 11:24:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/ptr_dvd/status/1541438373663051779

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-710527

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russian-missiles-hit-kremenchuk-shopping-center-1000-civilians-ukraine-rcna35482

Continuing on the lines of:

For Lubavitchers, one of the more surreal parts of the war in Ukraine is seeing the names of cities that we have grown up hearing about in stories.

The Rebbe was born in Nikolaev (now Mykolaiv) and grew up in Yekatrinoslav (which later became Dnipropetrovsk and now Dnipro) where his father was chief rabbi.

And every Lubavitcher has friends posting about their experiences going on Merkaz Shlichus to Ukraine.

Kremenchuker Berelach, composed by Lubavitcher chasidim in Kremenchuk.
"In Kremenchug there were several well known Chabad Chassidim known as the “Berelach,” meaning that it happened that they were all named Dov or Ber: Reb Dov ben Reb Moshe—“Berel Moshe’s,” Reb Dov Masayov, Reb Chaim Ber Vilensky, and another three or four Dovs. They were called the “Kremenchuker Berelach.” They were great intellectuals and had deep powerful emotions as well. They would daven at length with heart and sweet song, and they would all chazer Chassidus. All of the Chassidim in Kremenchug—even the Polish non-Chabad ones—were in awe of them and admired them"

Sung by Avraham Fried:

May the nigunim find their way to the heavens, and stop the senseless loss of life in Ukraine.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »

Belz Belz 🎶🎶
No, far from it!
(And FTR, that Belz [in מיין שטעטעלע] is a completely different Belz from the one the Chassidus is named after)

I believe the OP is referring to the Belzer song with the corus:
Belz, Belz; Belz vet zaiyn a vinkle far torah un yiras shomayim, far torah un yiras shomayim BIZ MOSHIACH VET KIMEN!
(based on something one of the Rebbes said)