Author Topic: Israeli Amex Centurion & Platinum finally going metal  (Read 1772 times)

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Israeli Amex Centurion & Platinum finally going metal
« on: March 11, 2022, 05:05:28 AM »
Just saw this PR that the Israeli Centurion and Plat are finally going metal.  Supposedly new benefits to be added as well, although from the wording not too sure they'll be permanent.

https://finance.walla.co.il/item/3492884

Offline Mordechai123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Israeli Amex Centurion & Platinum finally going metal
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 06:59:38 AM »
I don’t understand, what changed? Will it make it accessible for Israeli citizens to get this card?
Is a lounge in Israel coming in as well ?

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 03:51:09 AM »
I don’t understand, what changed? Will it make it accessible for Israeli citizens to get this card?
Is a lounge in Israel coming in as well ?

I advise you read the article (use Google Translate if needed).  This is about the Israeli Amex Centurion/Platinum, not the American one.  The only announced changes thus far include a shift to a metal card (too late to the party, honestly... even some 3rd world countries got metal well before) and undisclosed new benefits that may end up being temporary based on the wording.

And for the record, Israelis can get American Amex cards relatively easily (just need to get seasoned by opening a U.S. bank account and start establishing credit with entry-level cards/secured cards).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 03:54:18 AM by moe8555 »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 08:08:16 AM »
And for the record, Israelis can get American Amex cards relatively easily (just need to get seasoned by opening a U.S. bank account and start establishing credit with entry-level cards/secured cards).

But they’d need an SSN. You might take that for granted but that might be an insurmountable obstacle for many Israelis who otherwise have the means to do what you’re suggesting.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
But they’d need an SSN. You might take that for granted but that might be an insurmountable obstacle for many Israelis who otherwise have the means to do what you’re suggesting.

No need for SSN or ITIN -- from first-hand experience with many people that have done this.

Offline Mordechai123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 05:12:50 AM »
No need for SSN or ITIN -- from first-hand experience with many people that have done this.

How can you open a credit card without a SSN? How do they check your credit history?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 07:37:09 AM »

Please tell me more
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »
Please tell me more

It isn't possible with every CC issuer, but definitely with BoA and Amex, possibly one or two others.  I know Discover and Citi are no longer possible (Citi was until recently).

In a nutshell, the process goes like this: the non-U.S. person opens a bank account in the U.S. (no idea if this can be done virtually, everyone I know has done it in person while visiting the U.S.).  BoA seems to be the bank of choice, but again, I have no need for this process myself so I never looked into other options.

Then, they open a secured card during the bank account opening with BoA.  They use the card monthly for a good 4-6 months to start building credit.  Even without a SSN or ITIN, a credit report/profile will still be created and reported based on name, address, DOB.

After the 4-6 months, they have a reasonable starter credit history built up.  Then, they approach Amex and apply by phone for one of the entry Amex cards (e.g. no-fee Hilton, no-fee Delta, etc.).  It has to be done by phone though, so no referrals or special links, etc.  Almost all the people I know have been approved no problem and the ones that haven't always succeeded after giving it more time.  Amex is definitely the issuer of choice, but it might be possible with Barclays also.

It's truly that simple (amazingly)!

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 11:50:08 AM »

non-U.S. person opens a bank account in the U.S
From what I understand this can have tax implications. Ask your accountant.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 03:23:56 AM »
From what I understand this can have tax implications. Ask your accountant.

There shouldn't be any for a non-resident, non-citizen with no center of life, business activity, or employment in the United States.   In that respect, America is A-OK with receiving funds from abroad and welcomes them with open arms.

Still amazes me that Amex is willing to do business with such a person!  No recourse if they go to town and disappear.

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 02:32:47 PM »
I applied for an ITIN. Very cheap and easy procedure and then one can use the ITIN with every issuers, just like a SSN

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 03:53:48 PM »
I applied for an ITIN. Very cheap and easy procedure and then one can use the ITIN with every issuers, just like a SSN
U don't actually need to have a business in the US?
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 04:09:43 AM »
U don't actually need to have a business in the US?
You need to declare some revenues from US source. In 2021 i declared less than $80 in revenues and paid $10 to the IRS. You need to file at least once every 3 years to keep the ITIN 'active'

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »
Don't think it was posted in the forum, but they finally did follow through with a refresh after issuing the metal cards.  Key changes:

1) You now earn double points on any mobile wallet purchases, which means you effectively earn 1 MR per 20 shekels (for El Al that means 1:120 shekels).  This is really by far the best point earn rate available on any Israeli card, comes to something 1.5% return on booking travel through Amex Travel or some of the various gift card redemptions like BuyMe (or 1 airline mile per 5 shekels for the non El Al partners if you transfer).

2) Two free entries annually with Priority Pass (until now it was just 2 or 3 free entries one time, not every year)

3) Double points on foreign currency charges (both in person and online)

4) 7 days of travel insurance (instead of the previous 5, which all other issuers also offered) - so here too Amex is now leading the pack

No change in AF and still includes a free full AU card with PP.  Honestly pretty decent for non-category spend now if you're a shekel earner and need to pay fees to transfer to America for using U.S. cards, or if you're going strong on El Al points.