Author Topic: Everything Gonna Be All Right 🇯🇲  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Everything Gonna Be All Right 🇯🇲
« on: September 05, 2022, 12:57:43 AM »
For our summer vacation trip we decided on going to Jamaica. We flew Southwest Airlines nonstop from MDW to Montego Bay and used our two companion passes. Instead of staying at a resort like everyone else does we booked an AirBNB in a town called Lucea. It is centrally located between Montego Bay and Negril. Since we were not staying at a resort we needed a car to get around and found a good deal on a 7 seater from Classique Car Rental company.

We landed on Wednesday at noon and had packed 4 suitcases full of food which we had no issues with customs.
After getting the car we headed straight to the supermarket for bottled water, fruits and vegetables. This was our first experience with driving on the left side of the road so that was a bit challenging. The hardest part of the 45 min drive was the huge potholes all over the roads. Their sewer system is also pretty nonexistent so once it started raining there was massive flooding on the roads. By the time we got to our AirBNB we were exhausted.

Thursday we had booked Dolphin Cove Ocho Rios which was 2 hours away (even though Dolphin Cove Montego Bay was literally one minute from our AirBNB). I found a Groupon for it plus additional 25% off code so it was $59/pp for the Swim Adventure. I wasn’t sure if they would allow the baby to be with us in the water or not so we planned on taking turns but in the end they said it was fine to bring her in the water. We all loved swimming with the dolphins and interacting with them. The area that the dolphins are in is part of the ocean just fenced off so the water is nice and warm as opposed to other locations where the dolphins are in a pool.  They have a lot of activities at Dolphin Cove that comes with the admission fee such as swimming with sting rays, kayaking, water slide, pools and jungle area that has parrots, iguanas, lovebirds and rabbits.

Friday morning we were driving to Montego Bay and got a flat tire. By the time we had pulled over to the side of the road three Jamaicans were already helping my DH get the donut out and putting it on the car. They told us where to go to get a new tire and within 10 min we were good to go. The tire shop was packed but they work really fast so in the end we had only lost an hour of our day from getting the flat. We parked at the Hip Strip (you must pay for street parking) and walked around a bit checking out the souvenir shops. We found the Kosher Hot Spot and went in for lunch. After eating delicious fish and chips, smoothies and Jerk Falafel we headed across the street to Margaritaville. They have a big water slide that goes straight into the ocean, a rock climbing wall and trampolines in the water. It is all free to use and no purchase of any food or beverages is necessary. The kids had a blast and we stayed as for a few hours. We went back to Hip Strip to get my DD’s hair braided for shabbos and drove back. While we were driving I realized I had forgotten to bring tape for the fridge light and we were running late so wouldn’t have time to find a store. I came up with an idea of using the extra strong bandaids we had and it worked like a charm.

A295-ADF43-E54-E505.jpg[/img][/url]

Shabbos was relaxing, we brought books, games and snacks. The area we were in is a new development with a security guard and they have a club house which has a ping pong table so we had a ping pong tournament.

Sunday we drove to Negril to check out the world famous beaches. We parked in a small parking lot right next to Bloody Bay Beach and found a nice spot with a picnic table in the shade. The beach was empty besides for the vendors trying to sell their goods. After playing in the water for a while we took a glass bottom boat to Booby Cay Island to go snorkeling by the reefs. On the boat ride there we saw tons of huge starfish. We snorkeled around the coral reef and then went to the island to have our lunch. After lunch we walked to the other side of the island and snorkeled a bit more from the shore. It started to rain so we headed back to Bloody Bay Beach. It was so beautiful and relaxing we stayed for a few more hours until it started to thunderstorm. Most days it rained in the afternoon for about an hour or so. We drove to Rick’s Cafe for the cliff jumping and sunset. By the time  we got there the rain had cleared up and it was sunny again. I was not expecting what was going on at Rick’s, it was like a nightclub on cliffs that allowed children in. As soon as we got there a local had climbed the flagpole and dived in! After taking a minute and getting over our initial shock my kids started jumping off the cliffs. At first the lifeguard did not allow my DD9 to do the high jump but after she convinced him she could do it he allowed it. Their was a thunderous applause for her once she jumped. After they had enough of the jumping we ate dinner across the street and watched the sunset.

Monday we drove into the nearby town and walked around their markets where they sell fruits, vegetables and fish. We definitely stood out but we never felt unsafe and everyone was very friendly and nice. We bought lots of exotic fruits to try and got tutorials on how to eat it. We booked with Chukka to do the Ride and Swim on horses. They picked us up from our house and it was a 10 minute drive to get there. They take you horseback riding through the hills and valleys for about 30 minutes, then you need to change horses and you go into the ocean on the horse which is swimming. It was really an amazing experience, I just wish we could’ve done it for longer. After our tour was over we hung out by the infinity pool and swings by the ocean. Monday night the Chabad hosts a BBQ in their home that you can sign up for. It was delicious and nice to meet new people. We also got a tour of the Chabad house that is being built as well as the Mikvah.

Tuesday we drove to Dunn’s River Falls. We took turns climbing the falls since we obviously couldn’t do it with the baby. I went first with the kids and at first I was very unsure if I would be able to make it up alone with them. We didn’t have a guide and nobody was around us so we could follow. But slow and steady with a few falls and lost shoes we made it to the top. It was so fun and the kids couldn’t wait to do it again (besides for my DS6 who didn’t want to lose his shoes again). I switched baby duty with my DH and they went again taking longer and different paths. They have a small splash pad and slide that we went for a few minutes once they were done. Next we went to Cool Blue Hole that was 20 minutes away, tour guides are standing all over the roads so we got one who took us in. First they went on the rope swing which was fun for all, then he took us hiking through the falls with lots of stops on the way. The final stop was at a waterfall that has a ledge nearby to jump off of. One local kid went to the top of the waterfall and basically ran down half way and jumped off the rest. You could get mud applied on you as well but we declined. We had a 2 hour 45 min drive back home in the dark which made for a VERY stressful car ride. BH we made it home in one piece and prob should have said Hagomel.

Wednesday our flight was at 3pm, I took 3 kids across the street to the beach that we had walked to on shabbos but never went in. As soon as we got there a man had caught an octopus and was very excited to show it to us. It was still alive and squirming around but my kids wanted to touch it anyway. I think he was excited to have an audience so he kept bringing my kids things. He put a sea urchin in my daughters hand that he found and said it won’t hurt bc it’s old even though it’s alive which turned out to be correct. The beach was beautiful with white sand and turquoise warm  water. We didn’t want to leave but needed to wash off and pack up. Our flight was on time and uneventful, we had the most wonderful FA. She was up the entire flight asking what she could get us, throw out or help with. She even asked if my baby is teething and made her a rattle with ice to chew on and rattle with pretzels to play with. After we landed I got her name and wrote an email to Southwest about her exemplary service.

A few tips: bring lots of small cash for tipping, try to avoid driving at night and beware drugs are offered anywhere at anytime.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
Re: Everything Gonna Be All Right 🇯🇲
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 01:00:39 AM »
If someone can help me link this post to Jamaica’s TR’s I would appreciate it!

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 07:50:13 AM »
Your trip looks amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:26:55 AM »
If someone can help me link this post to Jamaica’s TR’s I would appreciate it!

I see my post put on the TR page but it isn’t linked to any country since Jamaica has not been added to the page. Can anyone help with this? I know it would’ve been useful to me when planning this trip to have a TR to read.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 11:07:04 AM »
Awesome TR, thanks for sharing!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »
Nice!!

Offline Mootkim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »
Awesome TR. You inspired me to start writing my TR of Jamaica that I got back from a few weeks ago. We obviously were not there the same week as I did not see you at the BBQ.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 04:45:10 PM »
Awesome TR. You inspired me to start writing my TR of Jamaica that I got back from a few weeks ago. We obviously were not there the same week as I did not see you at the BBQ.

Looking forward to reading it!

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 04:56:15 PM »
Awesome! Love reading your family's trip experiences!

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 01:24:08 AM »
Great TR, thanks for posting!
Visibly Jewish

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 05:09:40 AM »
This seemed like a holiday with fond memories for adults and kids alike.

Very enjoyable to read and nice pictures.

Very glad you posted a non Hyatt trip and what even seems quite low budget, so kudoos for that.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 07:25:18 PM »
Nice TR! Glad you explored different parts of the island. One thing I would caution is be extra careful at the Hip Strip. Known spot for pickpockets and thieves.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 12:53:18 AM »
Amazing. Thank you for sharing!