Author Topic: Whoever hates apple, post here!  (Read 54993 times)

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever hates apple, post here!
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2022, 01:25:52 PM »
Hate is a strong word, Apple's biggest accomplishment is making Android and PC what it is today!
Still hate em.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »
Why in the world doesn't Apple make Airtags Android compatible and make more money?
The whole OS lock-in is absurd.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »
Why in the world doesn't Apple make Airtags Android compatible and make more money?

Airtags work through the "Find My" network. Would they be able to integrate it onto an Android device? It might have to be done through an Android-device partnership or through the Play store, would that ever happen?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2022, 02:39:10 PM »
Airtags work through the "Find My" network. Would they be able to integrate it onto an Android device? It might have to be done through an Android-device partnership or through the Play store, would that ever happen?
Google has iOS apps, what's the big deal?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2022, 02:58:06 PM »
Google has iOS apps, what's the big deal?

Here's what I found, apparently there is an Android tracker app already:

Do Apple AirTags Work With Android?
AirTags are different from other Bluetooth trackers like Tile because they rely on Apple's U1 chip to provide complete functionality. Functionality is limited in iPhones that lack the U1 chip, and it's even more limited in non-Apple devices. You need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to set up AirTags because they require the Find My app that's only available for Apple devices. You also need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to put AirTags into Lost Mode or find your AirTags on a map because both of those functions require the Find My app.

Apple released an Android app called Tracker Detect, which tracks item trackers and works with Apple's Find My network. It won't do so automatically; you have to prompt it to detect trackers.

https://www.lifewire.com/using-airtags-with-android-5188775
Visibly Jewish

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2022, 04:53:32 PM »
Apple's self-driving cars had trouble navigating streets, frequently bumped into curbs and veered out of lanes in the middle of intersections, nearly hitting a jogger, during test drives near the company's Silicon Valley headquarters, according to a report.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2022, 04:55:47 PM »

Do Apple AirTags Work With Android?
AirTags are different from other Bluetooth trackers like Tile because they rely on Apple's U1 chip to provide complete functionality. Functionality is limited in iPhones that lack the U1 chip, and it's even more limited in non-Apple devices. You need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to set up AirTags because they require the Find My app that's only available for Apple devices. You also need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to put AirTags into Lost Mode or find your AirTags on a map because both of those functions require the Find My app.

Apple released an Android app called Tracker Detect, which tracks item trackers and works with Apple's Find My network. It won't do so automatically; you have to prompt it to detect trackers.

https://www.lifewire.com/using-airtags-with-android-5188775
But you can't setup tags with an Android. Unclear to me if you can locate them from afar either.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2022, 02:35:35 AM »
That app was actually only made because Apple faced criticism of people tracking other people without knowing, stalkers, etc.
In reality its far from a good solution because you have to open the app to check. It cannot run in the background. You have to really be a paranoid sort, to constantly whip out your phone and do a scan to make sure you're not being tracked, like you're in a spy novel.

Unclear to me if you can locate them from afar either.
You cannot from Android. Either there is a legitimate limitation in the Androidverse to why they can't allow it, or more probable, they are deliberately shutting out Android users to try and get people to switch. On the other hand, the Airpods actually play very nicely with almost all phones (even my flip phone), all you lose is a bunch of nonsense features (looking at you Siri).
Lesson is: Apple can do what they want and almost always get away with it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 02:42:07 AM by Jojo202 »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2022, 09:31:55 PM »
That app was actually only made because Apple faced criticism of people tracking other people without knowing, stalkers, etc.
In reality its far from a good solution because you have to open the app to check. It cannot run in the background. You have to really be a paranoid sort, to constantly whip out your phone and do a scan to make sure you're not being tracked, like you're in a spy novel.
You cannot from Android. Either there is a legitimate limitation in the Androidverse to why they can't allow it, or more probable, they are deliberately shutting out Android users to try and get people to switch. On the other hand, the Airpods actually play very nicely with almost all phones (even my flip phone), all you lose is a bunch of nonsense features (looking at you Siri).
Lesson is: Apple can do what they want and almost always get away with it.

It literally doesn’t work with all apple products unless they have the U1 chip, and the hardware limitations likely have nothing to do with keeping it in the apple ecosystem.
Visibly Jewish

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2022, 01:25:34 AM »
Because they make more money when you buy the iPhone...