Author Topic: I'm trying to gift a modest European adventure as a graduation gift soon using A  (Read 496 times)

Offline johnec4

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I have 41,000 Avios (currently at BA but I understand transfer to Aer Lingus and Iberia are easy). Will be flying out of ORD. Travel dates are pretty inflexible with departure being 5/31 and return being 6/8, but that has seemed to yield ok results so far. I'm really trying to find something that cuts down the taxes/fees. Maybe that's not possible after the change earlier this year, and if so, just tell me.

Everything I've been checking seems much more expensive than booking with AAdvantage miles. I'm considering just letting these expire and booking with AA instead! I heard booking short route domestic travel was a sweet spot, but I can't figure out how to do it! When I search ORD > LAX on BA I get no results!

My son wants to go to Europe but doesn't really care where. I was planning on booking the sweet spot from ORD to DUB and just letting him chill on the cheap! That has now increased to $280. A good price for an international trip, to be sure, but I wanted cheaper. Is there anywhere else to fly, RT, using Avios for cheaper?

Is Avios.com the best place to be checking for taxes/fees? I have all my Avios on BA currently so I can't search for award tickets on Aer Lingus.

Honestly, I'd like to just use these Avios at the best value and the least out of pocket cost.

I've been at it all night. It's looking like my best option is: ORD > BER > DUB > ORD and it should cost me about $320. I think that's a pretty good European adventure for $300 bucks.

Online ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
There are points systems or airlines that have minimal fees/ taxes to go to Europe.
Avios is not one of them.  United, for example, is.
But you're all in Avios.  Does  Aer Lingus let your search with just an account with no points?
But $320 round to Europe is a good buy.
Help him plan the trip to get the most out of it.
I hope he has fun!

(There are places that will buy your points for cash.)
My favorite cause: cssy.org