Topic Wiki

Author Topic: Maine Master Thread  (Read 37708 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Maine Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2022, 12:27:28 AM »
Yes I saw very helpful thank you
You're welcome

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2022, 12:28:51 AM »
Anyone done Portland area? Anything worth flying there for?
I didn't so Portland because other than picking up another airport code, it wasn't worth the drive from Bangor. If you search top sites in Portland, nothing too interesting came up. Same with Bangor, which is why we spent all our whole time in Acadia.

Online moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2022, 01:17:02 AM »
I didn't so Portland because other than picking up another airport code, it wasn't worth the drive from Bangor. If you search top sites in Portland, nothing too interesting came up. Same with Bangor, which is why we spent all our whole time in Acadia.
or fly into BHB or RKD on a DL or B6 connection via BOS

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2022, 11:55:03 PM »
or fly into BHB or RKD on a DL or B6 connection via BOS
That would almost be more time flying then actual daylight hours on the ground.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2022, 11:55:27 PM »
Is there presidents circle isle in bgr?

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2022, 09:37:44 AM »
Is there presidents circle isle in bgr?
Not sure, but the airport is really tiny, so I don't think it matters much. There won't be crowds trying to rent cars all at the same time.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2022, 10:30:51 AM »
Booked: using airline credit from Amex card mixed with DL platinum companion ticket.
Between me, wife and infant, brought three people to Maine for price of one, upgraded to first on the way back. A value of about 5 cents per cent..

From getting to the airport to being past security was all of about 10 minutes. Lines were empty even though it was 11am. We had clear and pre check but clear ended up taking longer than precheck because we had to scan our eyes…

Delta lounge was empty and we enjoyed our kosher meals from the lounge overlooking the planes take off.

Flight was easy hour, I asked the lounge agent to move us into the bulkhead comfort plus seat which was officially blocked off and there was more legroom than first class. A plus for the baby. Uneventful hour flight there, but we had a blast watching the guy in front of us milk his first class ticket as much as he can in a 30 minute window of service. I never saw a guy drink more in a half hour. And he was excited to be doing so.

Views of Maine landing from plane are beautiful. It’s like upstate but x5. Really stunning. When we landed we had about an hour walk to luggage, had to wait 20 minutes for it to come out and then take a 20 minute shuttle to rental car were out with our rental car and luggage in 15 minutes. BGR Is tiny! Literally everything is 10 feet from each other, and even more impressive was that despite literally taking 2 minutes to get from gate to luggage, it was all there already waiting. Very efficient. Rental car is about 5 feet from luggage carousel.

We drove straight to residence inn which was about 8 minutes away. Something to note, we stayed in Bangor and not bar harbour so there is about an hour drive to Acadia so if you’re really looking to spend a ton of time in Acadia may be worth spending the night somewhere closer. However we were using a free night certificate and got great value in this room Especially since it had a kitchen and we were upgraded to a suite with fully closed bedroom (great for baby). There are hotels closer but everything there seems to be very expensive for not much that you’re getting besides a bed. So YMMV in terms of what you’re looking for. There was no closer Marriott that we found to the park. We ate dinner which we cooked at home and brought with us to hotel to heat up in kitchen. We made it really quick and bounced back out to Acadia. We got there around 6:30 and the park was empty. I thought it was because it was the middle of the week but seems that closer to night is always much more empty. We went to Jordan pond which is about a half hour down the park road and spent a good hour or more there. Beautiful water and empty all to ourselves. When it got dark we went back to hotel where our Walmart order was waiting for us by the door with our breakfast for the morning.

Packed up and went back out to the park. Got there around 12 expecting to spend 4 hours before heading back to BGR. but the park was packed like anything so we skipped that and drove around the island until we found a nice park, azalea gardens, to eat our lunch, it’s a nice little park with flowers and water that was man made and maintained very nicely (they have someone mowing the lawn with a muffled lawnmower as to not disturb the peace).

Continued driving and found a place called sergeant cove which was a nice little coast of the island with gorgeous views of the next island and such blue water. Spent some time driving and stopping to soak in the views and walked around some of the rocky coast.

Continued driving around the island until it was time to go back. I wanted to aim for as least time in the airport as possible as it took us all of 10 minutes to be by our gate.

In contrast to other posts here there IS TSA precheck lanes and it was empty and there was nothing different about it here than Jfk. Even if you don’t have precheck you’ll have less than 5 minutes wait unless maybe earlier in the day there is more lines. Which may be the case because even though there were 4 flights to nyc after 5, the gift shop was closed. So it could be the heavier traffic is during the day.

As we were in first class we were actually offered pre departure beverages (unlike the flight to bgr where they went around preflight taking orders for after takeoff). They serve beverages to first in glssses with more premium snacks which actually are mostly kosher and pareve and taste fantastic.

Landed in Jfk and enjoyed dinner from delta in lounge (it was late and didn’t have food at home) but we mixed and matched a few dishes to get the good parts of all of them.

All in all great trip. I would leave two nights to enjoy Acadia more past hours with a lot more quiet.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
Booked: using airline credit from Amex card mixed with DL platinum companion ticket.
Between me, wife and infant, brought three people to Maine for price of one, upgraded to first on the way back. A value of about 5 cents per cent..

From getting to the airport to being past security was all of about 10 minutes. Lines were empty even though it was 11am. We had clear and pre check but clear ended up taking longer than precheck because we had to scan our eyes…

Delta lounge was empty and we enjoyed our kosher meals from the lounge overlooking the planes take off.

Flight was easy hour, I asked the lounge agent to move us into the bulkhead comfort plus seat which was officially blocked off and there was more legroom than first class. A plus for the baby. Uneventful hour flight there, but we had a blast watching the guy in front of us milk his first class ticket as much as he can in a 30 minute window of service. I never saw a guy drink more in a half hour. And he was excited to be doing so.

Views of Maine landing from plane are beautiful. It’s like upstate but x5. Really stunning. When we landed we had about an hour walk to luggage, had to wait 20 minutes for it to come out and then take a 20 minute shuttle to rental car were out with our rental car and luggage in 15 minutes. BGR Is tiny! Literally everything is 10 feet from each other, and even more impressive was that despite literally taking 2 minutes to get from gate to luggage, it was all there already waiting. Very efficient. Rental car is about 5 feet from luggage carousel.

We drove straight to residence inn which was about 8 minutes away. Something to note, we stayed in Bangor and not bar harbour so there is about an hour drive to Acadia so if you’re really looking to spend a ton of time in Acadia may be worth spending the night somewhere closer. However we were using a free night certificate and got great value in this room Especially since it had a kitchen and we were upgraded to a suite with fully closed bedroom (great for baby). There are hotels closer but everything there seems to be very expensive for not much that you’re getting besides a bed. So YMMV in terms of what you’re looking for. There was no closer Marriott that we found to the park. We ate dinner which we cooked at home and brought with us to hotel to heat up in kitchen. We made it really quick and bounced back out to Acadia. We got there around 6:30 and the park was empty. I thought it was because it was the middle of the week but seems that closer to night is always much more empty. We went to Jordan pond which is about a half hour down the park road and spent a good hour or more there. Beautiful water and empty all to ourselves. When it got dark we went back to hotel where our Walmart order was waiting for us by the door with our breakfast for the morning.

Packed up and went back out to the park. Got there around 12 expecting to spend 4 hours before heading back to BGR. but the park was packed like anything so we skipped that and drove around the island until we found a nice park, azalea gardens, to eat our lunch, it’s a nice little park with flowers and water that was man made and maintained very nicely (they have someone mowing the lawn with a muffled lawnmower as to not disturb the peace).

Continued driving and found a place called sergeant cove which was a nice little coast of the island with gorgeous views of the next island and such blue water. Spent some time driving and stopping to soak in the views and walked around some of the rocky coast.

Continued driving around the island until it was time to go back. I wanted to aim for as least time in the airport as possible as it took us all of 10 minutes to be by our gate.

In contrast to other posts here there IS TSA precheck lanes and it was empty and there was nothing different about it here than Jfk. Even if you don’t have precheck you’ll have less than 5 minutes wait unless maybe earlier in the day there is more lines. Which may be the case because even though there were 4 flights to nyc after 5, the gift shop was closed. So it could be the heavier traffic is during the day.

As we were in first class we were actually offered pre departure beverages (unlike the flight to bgr where they went around preflight taking orders for after takeoff). They serve beverages to first in glssses with more premium snacks which actually are mostly kosher and pareve and taste fantastic.

Landed in Jfk and enjoyed dinner from delta in lounge (it was late and didn’t have food at home) but we mixed and matched a few dishes to get the good parts of all of them.

All in all great trip. I would leave two nights to enjoy Acadia more past hours with a lot more quiet.
Nice TR! I'm glad the RI worked out for you. I'm sure it was still nice after all these years. I was just lucky we got to stay there a couple weeks after it opened.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2022, 12:26:24 AM »
It was very nice and fresh still, suite was very comfortable with a table. Don’t know if regular room had. And they were very nice

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2022, 11:02:21 AM »
which marriot did you stay at in bangor?
there are a few choices.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2022, 12:25:03 PM »
Residence inn. It’s very nice, Fresh and relatively new. Also has a kitchen. Would recommend

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2022, 10:55:10 PM »
It was very nice and fresh still, suite was very comfortable with a table. Don’t know if regular room had. And they were very nice
I got a regular room and it had a kitchen, table and chairs, and living area, which is pretty standard for RIs.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2022, 11:13:05 PM »
I got a regular room and it had a kitchen, table and chairs, and living area, which is pretty standard for RIs.

Good to note. I wasn’t sure because in the pictures it only showed a little bar area on the kitchen counter with chairs for the basic room. But good to know they all have a table.

Offline mememe

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2022, 10:11:17 PM »
Hi if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it !

Would love to do a road trip to acadia national park the week of aug 14 ....thinking Sunday to thursday. Not sure about shabbos (shabbos before )because of minyan. Either way really struggling to find a place to stay. Doesn't need to be super close but I think not more than 30 to 40 min drive. Ok with cabin or tent setup but want something prepared as we never camped before and we have 3 little kids. (campsite that has bathrooms/showers) .

So many options on Google searches but every single place I tried is booked out. If you have a suggestion of a place you stayed? Please share... Thanks!!

Side note if anyone will be in the area those dates....I'd love to form a minyan