Author Topic: Aerospace Master Thread  (Read 834 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Aerospace Master Thread
« on: April 06, 2022, 10:32:46 PM »
I don't think there is a thread for this, so I'm starting one. This is a place to discuss the science of aviation, including aircraft designs, why planes crashed, etc.

Here is the tweet that led me to open this thread. Some responses are really on point.

https://twitter.com/engineers_feed/status/1511760631602417669

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Aerospace Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 02:13:50 AM »
Is it possible to create a human powered flying machine? Ive seen a video of attempts and one massive contraption that was able to get off the ground but they needed a professional cyclist to pedal.

I haven't seen a combo bike with flapping wings yet.

I once asked this (via email) to some professor in some college. He didn't think it would work. I wasn't convinced :)
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 07:49:47 AM »
Is it possible to create a human powered flying machine? Ive seen a video of attempts and one massive contraption that was able to get off the ground but they needed a professional cyclist to pedal.

I haven't seen a combo bike with flapping wings yet.

I once asked this (via email) to some professor in some college. He didn't think it would work. I wasn't convinced :)
Googled it, and found about 5 different videos claiming to be "the worlds first flying bike." Most were powered by electric or gas though, so I'm assuming this is the one you were referring to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUMPAC

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Googled it, and found about 5 different videos claiming to be "the worlds first flying bike." Most were powered by electric or gas though, so I'm assuming this is the one you were referring to
No this

Although I thought it was a professional cyclist I seem to have remembered wrong
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 11:48:01 PM »
Everyone knows the story of Sully ditching his plane in the Hudson, and I was always under the impression that he was the first to successfully ditch a plane in water. I've heard that it's been attempted before with little success, with the famous example cited being the Ethiopian plane that was hijacked in 1996 and ran out of fuel, ditched near a beach with only 50 survivors of the 175 on board.

I am wondering why I never previously heard of Garuda Indonesia flight 421 that lost both engines AND THE APU in 2002 and ditched in a river with almost no instruments, which resulted in a single fatality of the 60 people on board. I would think that it's a much bigger feat to land a plane in water with zero electrical power than with a working APU, although they did lose their engines at a far higher altitude than US 1549.

Is it possible that I just never heard of them because it was in Indonesia and we tend to only celebrate local heroes?

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 04:21:39 PM »
Just found this. Pretty interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Aviation