Author Topic: Cleaning Help-Lakewood  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Cleaning Help-Lakewood
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2022, 11:24:47 AM »
Something I never see mentioned in these debates and I’m sure it happens regularly - people see someone (that matches the cleaning lady profile) in the street, and offer to come work for them. They’ll tell you they don’t have a current job but who ever knows?
So comes from unhappy employee looking for new opportunity.  Not that you saw them working by your next door neighbor and decided to get them to work for you...
#TYH

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
Ba”h never had an employee hired away from me, and I would never recruit from another Jewish employer. Nor would I offer more money to someone’s cleaning lady.

Ignore all this halacha/capitalist hock, what ever happened to veahavta lereacha komacha?

If I was the worker I would defiantly want someone to offer me higher pay

Offline nbfromnj

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »

the workers we are discussing probably wouldn't be included in "reacha"

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2022, 04:42:35 PM »
Lying to and misleading someone is assur and wrong. I assume you believe I condone all immoral behavior and Kol devorim assurim in the pursuit of capitalism?

Again, I have never done it myself, but when there was a debate going on several months ago about people causing rates to go up by offering a lot of money (I believe there was a letter in the Scoop about it) I asked a Rav (R’ Yisroel Miller) and he said it was mutar gamur to approach anyone you meet and offer them whatever you want. This was asked specifically regarding cleaning ladies.

With that in mind, I see nothing wrong with hiring anyone with the prospect of more money, short term or longer term. A current employer should be given the opportunity to match. Obviously if something is assur you should not do it.

PS: My mother took my advice and offered her cleaning lady (whom we share with her) more money yesterday, and she promptly started showing up again. She was very clear that it is only until after Pesach.

PS: I removed a part of this post because I didn’t think it should be posted publicly.

Maybe you can clarify, because there is a difference between approaching someone you know is working for another family and bumping into someone you don't know. From what you are quoting it sounds like the latter only.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2022, 04:51:01 PM »

Nothing is stopping an employee from looking for a better paying job.
Visibly Jewish