Author Topic: Grocery price discrepancies  (Read 62664 times)

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Grocery price discrepancies
« on: April 28, 2022, 02:52:52 PM »
Anyone notice that price discrepancies have become really pronounced lately? Post pesach  I noticed that many stores in Lakewood seem to have taken the opportunity to boost prices across the board but the pricing discrepancy has been true for some time already, and some really stand out. There have always been price differences store to store but it seems like lately the gap is so large it’s no longer a matter of Penny pinching. It literally can amount to thousands of dollars of an average families food budget. I’m sure it’s not just Lakewood specific.

To take a few examples:
Bell peppers are regularly $1.99 lb at Bingo in Lakewood; $4.99 a lb at Seasons. POTF milk is 2.29 at the former and 3.29 at the latter. Salmon in many Jewish stores is $14-$15 a lb.; $10 lb at Shoprite. Eggs were 2.79 for 1.5 dozen at Target before yom tov; over $3 for a dozen in most of the Jewish stores. These are just a few examples. You are talking price differences of up to 50% on many items and sometimes much more. This is not your grandmothers coupon cutting or switching to the store brand to save a few pennies.

I’d love to see some sort of Gas Buddy type of app where one could quickly compare items store to store. For example seasons is actually fairly decent when it comes to meat and poultry; dry goods are often through the roof. NPGS tends to be pricier on the meats. Gormet Glatt often has some really decent sale items. It’s not practical to run store to store across town. But knowing that the 10 lb of peppers and a few family sized bags of romaine thats on your shopping list will set you back $90 at seasons while costing you $45 at Bingo would be pretty helpful to a lot of folks.

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery price discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 02:55:51 PM »
You mean there was/is price gouging going on???? Shocking!!!
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Grocery price discrepancies
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »
Anyone notice that price discrepancies have become really pronounced lately? Post pesach  I noticed that many stores in Lakewood seem to have taken the opportunity to boost prices across the board but the pricing discrepancy has been true for some time already, and some really stand out. There have always been price differences store to store but it seems like lately the gap is so large it’s no longer a matter of Penny pinching. It literally can amount to thousands of dollars of an average families food budget. I’m sure it’s not just Lakewood specific.

To take a few examples:
Bell peppers are regularly $1.99 lb at Bingo in Lakewood; $4.99 a lb at Seasons. POTF milk is 2.29 at the former and 3.29 at the latter. Salmon in many Jewish stores is $14-$15 a lb.; $10 lb at Shoprite. Eggs were 2.79 for 1.5 dozen at Target before yom tov; over $3 for a dozen in most of the Jewish stores. These are just a few examples. You are talking price differences of up to 50% on many items and sometimes much more. This is not your grandmothers coupon cutting or switching to the store brand to save a few pennies.

I’d love to see some sort of Gas Buddy type of app where one could quickly compare items store to store. For example seasons is actually fairly decent when it comes to meat and poultry; dry goods are often through the roof. NPGS tends to be pricier on the meats. Gormet Glatt often has some really decent sale items. It’s not practical to run store to store across town. But knowing that the 10 lb of peppers and a few family sized bags of romaine thats on your shopping list will set you back $90 at seasons while costing you $45 at Bingo would be pretty helpful to a lot of folks.
Seasons has always been a pricier store.

I personally prefer shopping in Seasons because it's convenient location (for me) and more pleasant experience than most other stores in town. Enough so that I'm willing to pay a bit extra; though I understand the flip side for families that have 8 kids with 3 bachurim.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »
Bingo pricing on Pesach goods was just amazing. Truly shocking price differences.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 03:03:26 PM »

To take a few examples:

Milk in Bingo is $2.39, most other stores have been around 2.79-2.89 but I haven't checked in the past few weeks.
1.5 dozen large eggs is not the same as 1 dozen XL. IDK what target eggs are now, but bingo went from 2.39 the week before Pesach to 2.99 this week. egg prices are volatile and can change dramatically in a week or 2.

ETA: IME bingo milk goes bad very quickly during the summer, to the point that I stopped getting milk there because it cost more due to all the half and quarter bottles that go bad. I would hope they do something better this year, but I'm not too hopeful.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 03:04:13 PM »
In Brooklyn, the price difference between BreadBerry, Pomogranite etc. Vs. Budget stores like Bingo, Rosners, KRM is just bind boggling. It can be a difference of 30-40% for the exact same items!

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 03:08:34 PM »
Come to 5T if you want to see price gouging.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 03:12:08 PM »
Come to 5T if you want to see price gouging.
Ha!

Probably half price of Miami...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 03:21:22 PM »
Ha!

Probably half price of Miami...
At least there it could be explained as shipping costs. I think most communities outside of the tri-state area have higher costs due to shipping and the price reflects that.

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 03:26:07 PM »
At least there it could be explained as shipping costs. I think most communities outside of the tri-state area have higher costs due to shipping and the price reflects that.
Factor in that most OOT communities will not buy everything from a Kosher grocery store but will buy mostly in a local supermarket. So the Kosber store owner has to raise prices on the select Kosher products that he has to make a living.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 03:31:41 PM »
Bingo pricing on Pesach goods was just amazing. Truly shocking price differences.
You shop at Bingo?
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 03:38:06 PM »
ETA: IME bingo milk goes bad very quickly during the summer, to the point that I stopped getting milk there because it cost more due to all the half and quarter bottles that go bad. I would hope they do something better this year, but I'm not too hopeful.

Could be they get deliveries less frequently (less deliveries might help better prices) and/or the milk sits unrefridgerated for longer when unloading deliveries.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 03:40:13 PM »
In Brooklyn, the price difference between BreadBerry, Pomogranite etc. Vs. Budget stores like Bingo, Rosners, KRM is just bind boggling. It can be a difference of 30-40% for the exact same items!

It’s like a restaurant where you’re buying the entire experience not just the food.

Go to a premium place, you oftentimes get wider aisles, a cleaner and nicer shop, better selection, more competent/available staff, and less crowds.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
Could be they get deliveries less frequently (less deliveries might help better prices) and/or the milk sits unrefridgerated for longer when unloading deliveries.
I'm pretty sure it's the latter, because it's a problem even with a good date. Regardless, they're doing something wrong and I don't want to buy milk that goes bad so quickly.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 03:58:27 PM »
My understanding is that at 2.29 for a half gallon of POTF they would be losing money or just barely breaking even. That isn't terribly out of the realm of possibility since they may not have translated wholesale to retail.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 04:01:01 PM »
It’s like a restaurant where you’re buying the entire experience not just the food.

Go to a premium place, you oftentimes get wider aisles, a cleaner and nicer shop, better selection, more competent/available staff, and less crowds.
yes and no.
In a high end restaurant, the food is supposedly better. In a high end grocery, you're buying the exact same product (deli counter etc excluded)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 04:27:56 PM »
You shop at Bingo?
Was in NYC before Pesach and checked it out.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline miles lover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 04:40:46 PM »
Case study: An avocado in shoprite is 1.49 on sale for .99. In gg its 2.49 and im like a chutzpa. Then i go to seasons and its 3.99 on sale for 3.49.
Fwd from my bro

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »
I'd presume you're comparing to "OOT" pricing...
Because though they did have a few insane deals, overall I didn't find their prices so amazing this year.
Or IOW it was a IME a disappointement compared to their past years' Pesach deals.

Or perhaps you're referring to their year-round prices in general.