Author Topic: Grocery price discrepancies  (Read 64456 times)

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery price discrepancies
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
Good question. I don't have all the answers, but it appears that they have to compete with each other, but not with walmart and Target.

A) We need kosher foods/brands which aren't carried at the big chain stores
B) Local grocery stores are much convenient for delivery and for in store shopping (closer, very late hours, etc)
C) If you're using WIC, prices on milk, eggs, and bread don't matter. 
D) Some local stores sell on credit. WM/target/Aldi don't offer that
E) Can buy everythingin one store. Meat, Fish, bakery, Deli dept, etc. etc.

a)do we? Most gefen etc brands are just OU with a chassidish hshgacha that relies on the OU!
b) since the government aka your tax dollars is paying they can charge whatever they want?

the rest you are just saying its more convenient? So the jewish stores are ripping everyone off because its more convenient to shop there?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2022, 04:09:07 PM »
a)do we? Most gefen etc brands are just OU with a chassidish hshgacha that relies on the OU!

Spoken like one who has done zero research on the matter. They usually do special runs so it would be acceptable for their standards. I'm not saying this is true for canola oil, salt or sugar obviously, but when you'll do some research you'll learn something. (I'm in no way condoning Kayko's inflation rates nevertheless.)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2022, 04:09:25 PM »

This is objectively untrue for the vast majority of products.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »
the rest you are just saying its more convenient? So the jewish stores are ripping everyone off because its more convenient to shop there?

Convenience is absolutely something companies can and do charge for in just about every consumer industry. Why should a grocery store be any different?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2022, 05:38:32 PM »
Good question. I don't have all the answers, but it appears that they have to compete with each other, but not with walmart and Target.

A) We need kosher foods/brands which aren't carried at the big chain stores
B) Local grocery stores are much convenient for delivery and for in store shopping (closer, very late hours, etc)
C) If you're using WIC, prices on milk, eggs, and bread don't matter. 
D) Some local stores sell on credit. WM/target/Aldi don't offer that
E) Can buy everythingin one store. Meat, Fish, bakery, Deli dept, etc. etc.

F) National retailers get prices which are much, much lower that independent stores.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2022, 06:16:25 PM »
F) National retailers get prices which are much, much lower that independent stores.

G) National grocery store retailers operate on a profit margin of 1-2%. That's why you don't see a lot of independent grocers, unless they are a specialty store (kosher, ethnic, health, high-end, etc.). Kosher stores and other independent stores cannot be expected to survive on those margins.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2022, 06:21:09 PM »
The easiest way to know we aren't being "ripped off" by kosher stores is that they still exist.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
The easiest way to know we aren't being "ripped off" by kosher stores is that they still exist.
Counterpoint, children's clothing stores.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2022, 07:03:51 PM »

Lol, but again, they are serving a niche that isn't served by the big chains and have every right to charge for that. I have a close friend who was in the business until recently. He wasn't exactly making bank. The clothing business is rough, and fwiu, Lakewood is cheaper than other frum places, so you aren't even seeing the worst of it.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2022, 07:05:58 PM »
+1. Kids shoe stores especially.

His point though is that they're serving a high end clientele. (pathetic)

Dan can now link his favorite thread.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2022, 09:10:25 PM »
Convenience is absolutely something companies can and do charge for in just about every consumer industry. Why should a grocery store be any different?
we are being forced to shop their since we keep kosher. I do not feel like that's a reason to charge more.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2022, 09:12:04 PM »
This is objectively untrue for the vast majority of products.
depends for whom.

I prefer OU to a chassidish hshgacha. The knowledge with OU is far superior. How many chassidish hshgachas have food scientist on staff?

I have heard to many stories of chassidish hshgachas totally missing the boat and not understanding basics.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2022, 09:13:09 PM »
we are being forced to shop their since we keep kosher. I do not feel like that's a reason to charge more.

You keep kosher, so you need to buy tomatoes at the kosher store? Since when?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2022, 09:14:48 PM »
You keep kosher, so you need to buy tomatoes at the kosher store? Since when?
we keep kosher so we  have to shop in a kosher store. Non Jewish stores have to be competitive since you would go elsewhere.

Jewish stores know we have to come there so they rip us off on the other items as well

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
we keep kosher so we  have to shop in a kosher. store. Non Jewish stores have to be competitive since you would go elsewhere. Jewish stores know we have to come there so they rip us off on the other items as well

When you walk into Walmart or any other major retailer, they have a huge selection of candies and drinks by the checkout, all priced well above what you can get them for elsewhere, even in their own store. It's called convenience.

Personally, I don't think I've purchased fresh produce in a kosher store more than 5 times in my life, excluding special yomtov needs.

ETA: And again, it's not ripping you off, even for the convenience. The margins on produce are not astronomical, once you factor in higher wholesale costs and waste.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2022, 09:24:06 PM »
When you walk into Walmart or any other major retailer, they have a huge selection of candies and drinks by the checkout, all priced well above what you can get them for elsewhere, even in their own store. It's called convenience.

Personally, I don't think I've purchased fresh produce in a kosher store more than 5 times in my life, excluding special yomtov needs.
candy at checkout is a luxury. My personal opinion is Jewish stores should not be ripping us off on basics. We are forced to shop there.  We know we are served an inferior  product since it's kosher and they take advantage. But doesnt make it fair.

How much of the kosher food market is controlled by 1 company
https://www.kayco.com/brands/

How can you compete against them? In the non Jewish market it would be called a monopoly.

So no, we do not have a free and open market.

Every single Jewish store and Jewish food brand would be out of business if we didn't have to keep kosher.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2022, 09:25:28 PM »
depends for whom.

I prefer OU to a chassidish hshgacha. The knowledge with OU is far superior. How many chassidish hshgachas have food scientist on staff?

I have heard to many stories of chassidish hshgachas totally missing the boat and not understanding basics.

That's not what you posted earlier. Now you make a new claim that you trust the science of the OU more? Good for you, everyone trusts their science - the heimish hasgachos too! It's their standards that is not always up to par with what heimish hashgachas are being comfortable with.

Also, heimish hashgachas are not a monolith, they range from top notch to terrible. Every Rov'el can open a shop and do hashgachos. Once again it's the research you fail to undertake which leads to your knee jerk assertions.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2022, 09:26:38 PM »
That's not what you posted earlier. Now you make a new claim that you trust the science of the OU more? Good for you, everyone trusts their science - the heimish hasgachos too! It's their standards that is not always up to par with what a heimish hashgacha are being comfortable with.

Also, heimish hashgachas are not a monolith, they range from top notch to terrible. Every Rov'el can open a shop and do hashgachos. Once again it's the research you fail to undertake which leads to your knee jerk assertions.

I get that. I just can't dig into all them. So I'm sure some are better, some are worse. That's why I just prefer the OU.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2022, 09:27:33 PM »
candy at checkout is a luxury. My personal opinion is Jewish stores should not be ripping us off on basics. We are forced to shop there.  We know we are served an inferior  product since it's kosher and they take advantage. But doesnt make it fair.

How much of the kosher food market is controlled by 1 company
https://www.kayco.com/brands/

How can you compete against them? In the non Jewish market it would be called a monopoly.

So no, we do not have a free and open market.

Every single Jewish store and Jewish food brand would be out of business if we didn't have to keep kosher.

I seem to be missing something here... Is the complaint that kosher brands are a rip off, or that kosher stores take advantage of you needing kosher products to mark up other products which are readily available elsewhere for much cheaper?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2022, 09:29:26 PM »
I seem to be missing something here... Is the complaint that kosher brands are a rip off, or that kosher stores take advantage of you needing kosher products to mark up other products which are readily available elsewhere for much cheaper?
mixture of both. We are being ripped off on both ends.

I don't know exactly but I have heard stories. But no kosher grocery can survive (or wine store) without kayco, and they know that.