Author Topic: Grocery price discrepancies  (Read 63925 times)

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Grocery price discrepancies
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2022, 12:23:33 AM »
Bingo is crazy cheap on Schmerlings chocolate all year round. IIRC almost $2 cheaper.
Who checks receipts? I do and notice mistakes at Bingo and other stores
This pesach the schmerliing that was on sale for $2 rang up way more and didn't calculate correctly..

If you do try to save $$ start with checking your receipt.

Offline Joel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2022, 12:25:07 AM »
Let's also not forget Bingo's quality on their own brands aren't great for example plastic plates and cups also the tablecloths got worse recently.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2022, 12:48:48 AM »
NPGS tonight

Sale
That’s what Shipt is for. They are really good with handling the eggs. Had over 20 dozen delivered to my door before pesach and not a single egg had a crack.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2022, 01:44:27 AM »
Let's also not forget Bingo's quality on their own brands aren't great for example plastic plates and cups also the tablecloths got worse recently.
I have to disagree. Bingo has two brands of these goods, Blushine and Basix. I was amazed this past YT of the quality and sturdiness of their blushine plastic plates, better than brands sold at other stores. Basix is much cheaper and it's designed to be a piece of garbage.

(I'm still fuming that online stores recently stopped shipping foam items to city that protects the environment and the criminals, nothing compares to Costco's Hefty foam plates).

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2022, 01:49:39 AM »
Btw speaking of Bingo, they recently started these silly 3% off penny sales, like the one seen here.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2022, 09:30:57 AM »
Also keep in mind that the week after pesach is the worst week to stock up because it’s one of the highest margin weeks for the kosher supermarkets. They don’t have to put anything on sale and often put out pallets of product without any prices marked because they know that consumers will scoop it up. If you can play their game and wait for a couple of weeks to stock up when they are back to sales and specials you will do a lot better.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2022, 03:50:26 PM »
- Prices of food items continue to rise ALDI raises price  eggs  at$1.99 a dozen.
["-"]

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2022, 06:36:44 PM »
- Prices of food items continue to rise ALDI raises price  eggs  at$1.99 a dozen.

Eggs might be because of the avian flu issue which is decimating supply. But Aldi's also raised most of their staple items for bidenflation - big percentage changes on low price items especially (e.g. a 75 cent item like saltines went to 1.15, olives went 79 cents to 1.19). Higher priced items up a more nominal 10% or so. A lot of prices still the same, e.g. cereal, sauces

Bags are for sale at checkout. I personally bring a cardboard box with me but if you want the convenience, 11 cents per bag doesnt ruin the savings you get buying there.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2022, 11:28:21 PM »
No, they just priced it like all other short-dated products. Bigger egg = closer to hatching.
At least they usually write the item is short dated - unlike another "nicer" store in Lakewood that was selling mayonnaise expiring within a week and when I told the manager to maybe post a sign he refused claiming people realize to look at a date... This store btw I have found they put many items short dated on sale and never post signs..

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2022, 11:35:57 PM »
At least they usually write the item is short dated - unlike another "nicer" store in Lakewood that was selling mayonnaise expiring within a week and when I told the manager to maybe post a sign he refused claiming people realize to look at a date... This store btw I have found they put many items short dated on sale and never post signs..

I feel like I need to make sure that you know bigger eggs aren't actually closer to hatching.... they're just bigger eggs.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2022, 12:01:30 AM »
I feel like I need to make sure that you know bigger eggs aren't actually closer to hatching.... they're just bigger eggs.
Just don't go into your fancy stores takeout kitchen..

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2022, 12:03:24 AM »
Come to 5T if you want to see price gouging.
Pargiot is $13.99/lb in Surfside. What's it at your local grocery?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »
Just to give you some examples off the front page of the weekly ad for Howell: avocados $0.79, mangoes $0.69, grapes $1.99/lb, mandarins $3.99/3lb bag. We also buy melons, berries, apples, cereals (raisin bran, honey bunches of oats), snacks (graham crackers, oreos, chips ahoy, pretzels, chips), pasta, whole bean coffee, and more. I used to be slightly picky on getting off-brands, but their cereals and snacks are generally very good copies. For whatever reason vegetables don't seem to be cheaper than what my wife buys closer to home.
Let me add some every day pricing they are usually pretty good on - Avacados -almost  always way cheaper than your local grocery, bananas, Romaine, heads, carrots, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, oil, oil sprays, Sugars - brown, confection, soy sauce, vinegar, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, - they seem to be a leader in jacking up their prices due to inflation - savings not so significant as in the past - Grapes on sale for 1.99 I've never seen Stop and shop have a sale half price of Aldi this past week they were under 1.00lb. bananas are priced very similar to the other stores - something they were always significantly lower on, in the past etc.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2022, 12:30:00 AM »
Just don't go into your fancy stores takeout kitchen..

Will I find hatching eggs?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2022, 12:35:03 AM »
Let me add some every day pricing they are usually pretty good on - Avacados -almost  always way cheaper than your local grocery, bananas, Romaine, heads, carrots, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, oil, oil sprays, Sugars - brown, confection, soy sauce, vinegar, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, - they seem to be a leader in jacking up their prices due to inflation - savings not so significant as in the past - Grapes on sale for 1.99 I've never seen Stop and shop have a sale half price of Aldi this past week they were under 1.00lb. bananas are priced very similar to the other stores - something they were always significantly lower on, in the past etc.

There's a lot about grocery stores that people don't get when it comes to pricing. A high end kosher grocer may have better pricing on produce because it's a loss leader. Their real money is made in the prepared foods. A grocery store without prepared foods may be more reasonably priced across the board, but without "great" deals. During times of pricing instability, the wholesale prices will effect different stores in different ways, and they adjust pricing on seemingly unrelated items to compensate.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2022, 02:54:05 AM »

who has time to hit all these stores

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2022, 09:17:05 AM »
Yup, it's all about personal preference. I find grocery shopping cathartic, but only if it's not in a hectic, jammed, messy, etc. store. I'm willing to pay a premium for this.

My wife does basic grocery delivery orders from Gourmet Glatt/Evergreen; but I'll go to Seasons to do supplementary shoppings.
Which kind of begs the question. I get the ambiance factor. But why would anyone do online ordering at a store that is 15-30% higher priced than its competitor?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »
Which kind of begs the question. I get the ambiance factor. But why would anyone do online ordering at a store that is 15-30% higher priced than its competitor?

There’s still selection, (marginally) better packing, bigger delivery-area footprint (if competitors don’t deliver to your address) etc. higher margins give them more leeway to spend more on the same things, granted it’s only marginally (no pun intended) better, but people will buy the “better” brand if it’s the one they know and trust. Customers who are less budget conscious are more likely to end up as their loyal customers.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2022, 09:29:21 AM »
Pargiot is $13.99/lb in Surfside. What's it at your local grocery?

Pargiot are gross so I don't bother looking

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2022, 10:04:07 AM »
There’s still selection, (marginally) better packing, bigger delivery-area footprint (if competitors don’t deliver to your address) etc. higher margins give them more leeway to spend more on the same things, granted it’s only marginally (no pun intended) better, but people will buy the “better” brand if it’s the one they know and trust. Customers who are less budget conscious are more likely to end up as their loyal customers.
Interesting. In the non-Jewish retail world I don’t find a higher margins translate into better service. Ordering an item for delivery from Rite Aid doesn’t get me a better experience than ordering the identical item cheaper from Amazon. There are actually economies of scale that work in Amazon’s favor. One would think that Gourmet Glatt would have advantages over a smaller store despite lower margins.