Author Topic: Grocery price discrepancies  (Read 64251 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery price discrepancies
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2022, 10:12:01 AM »
Interesting. In the non-Jewish retail world I don’t find a higher margins translate into better service. Ordering an item for delivery from Rite Aid doesn’t get me a better experience than ordering the identical item cheaper from Amazon. There are actually economies of scale that work in Amazon’s favor. One would think that Gourmet Glatt would have advantages over a smaller store despite lower margins.

You can’t compare Amazon/Rite-Aid to GG/competitor.

- Those are two completely different scales, the small fish Rite-Aid does more business (gross revenue) in a day than all Kosher Supermakets in the US combined do in a year (or close to it)
- the Kosher consumer is relatively more captive than your average Amazon/Rite-Aid customer
- Amazon is purely an online business (and a marketplace at that, where sellers are competing for your business), while Rite Aid is B&M (with an online component). GG is more similar to Rite-Aid than to Amazon

so it’s two completely different and incomparable markets

Bottom line, the premium supermarket is similar to Apple in this regard in that the consumer isn’t particularly price-conscious and is buying into a perceived brand/experience, whether or not the objective value is actually there.

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2022, 10:54:18 AM »
Interesting. In the non-Jewish retail world I don’t find a higher margins translate into better service. Ordering an item for delivery from Rite Aid doesn’t get me a better experience than ordering the identical item cheaper from Amazon. There are actually economies of scale that work in Amazon’s favor. One would think that Gourmet Glatt would have advantages over a smaller store despite lower margins.
Rite Aid is not trying to offer a better experience. They have other things to offer like late hours and pharmacy. Every business needs to offer something to remain in business, it can be price, location, experience, variety, or something else. But they need to offer something that can't be had somewhere else.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
Anyone notice that price discrepancies have become really pronounced lately? Post pesach  I noticed that many stores in Lakewood seem to have taken the opportunity to boost prices across the board but the pricing discrepancy has been true for some time already, and some really stand out. There have always been price differences store to store but it seems like lately the gap is so large it’s no longer a matter of Penny pinching. It literally can amount to thousands of dollars of an average families food budget. I’m sure it’s not just Lakewood specific.

To take a few examples:
Bell peppers are regularly $1.99 lb at Bingo in Lakewood; $4.99 a lb at Seasons. POTF milk is 2.29 at the former and 3.29 at the latter. Salmon in many Jewish stores is $14-$15 a lb.; $10 lb at Shoprite. Eggs were 2.79 for 1.5 dozen at Target before yom tov; over $3 for a dozen in most of the Jewish stores. These are just a few examples. You are talking price differences of up to 50% on many items and sometimes much more. This is not your grandmothers coupon cutting or switching to the store brand to save a few pennies.

I’d love to see some sort of Gas Buddy type of app where one could quickly compare items store to store. For example seasons is actually fairly decent when it comes to meat and poultry; dry goods are often through the roof. NPGS tends to be pricier on the meats. Gormet Glatt often has some really decent sale items. It’s not practical to run store to store across town. But knowing that the 10 lb of peppers and a few family sized bags of romaine thats on your shopping list will set you back $90 at seasons while costing you $45 at Bingo would be pretty helpful to a lot of folks.
just found this thread. As someone who is in the business I can tell you for a fact Bingo is losing $ on POF milk and probably on the eggs too. Pesach/Easter season ALWAYS pushes the price of eggs up and this year with added issues its at an all time high. Every week without fail the supplier send out price jumps in all departments. In the last 3 months alone some companies raised their pricing multiple times. When you see a price increase in a store it’s bec there’s a price increase from the manufacturer. Yes you’ll find “deals” here and there but there’s a strategy for the most part. And where you save on one product they’ll make it up on another.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2022, 10:56:25 AM »
How about Walmart to Nordstrom?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »

Pargiot are gross so I don't bother looking
This might be the most bewildering food opinion I have heard yet
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2022, 11:14:35 AM »
Maybe he thinks they're literal baby chickens?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »
I should clarify, pargiot made from dark chicken cutlets are gross. They are full of sinews and connective tissue and are chewy in all the wrong places. It's not just my butcher or how I cook them. It's everywhere I've ever had them.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2022, 11:15:47 AM »
I should clarify, pargiot made from dark chicken cutlets are gross. They are full of sinews and connective tissue and are chewy in all the wrong places. It's not just my butcher or how I cook them. It's everywhere I've ever had them.

Agreed with this idea, though I don’t feel as strongly about it.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2022, 11:21:02 AM »
lol. I'm not that passionate about it. I just don't buy/order them.

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2022, 11:22:12 AM »

Very interesting. A well done dark meat pargit should be clean...

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »

If it needs to be well done then that says it all.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
There aren't enough big muscles in the thigh to get nice clean pieces of boneless chicken.

And it's really fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone not to eat them. I'm just explaining why I think they should all be banned and destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:36:04 AM by ushdadude »

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2022, 11:48:33 AM »
If it needs to be well done then that says it all.
I don't mean cooked well done, but who eats chicken not well done anyway?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2022, 12:30:47 PM »
are chewy in all the wrong places.
Sounds like it's not being prepared properly or bad butchering. I get it in tray packs from Aarons I think and they are nice, I butcher them a bit more at home as well.

But in chicken soup it's nice and on the grill it's great. I've never cooked it in the oven, not sure if that's the problem?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »
Sounds like it's not being prepared properly or bad butchering. I get it in tray packs from Aarons I think and they are nice, I butcher them a bit more at home as well.

But in chicken soup it's nice and on the grill it's great. I've never cooked it in the oven, not sure if that's the problem?
you only quoted part of my post

It's not just my butcher or how I cook them. It's everywhere I've ever had them.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
you only quoted part of my post

Everywhere I ever had them doesn't mean anything, I don't know where you ever had them, perhaps you've never had them at all, for all I know :P

I made some specific examples though.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2022, 12:47:04 PM »
Everywhere I ever had them doesn't mean anything, I don't know where you ever had them, perhaps you've never had them at all, for all I know :P

I made some specific examples though.
fair enough. Maybe I just don't care enough to keep trying lol. or maybe it's like tomatoes and i'll never like them.
next time I'm in FL I'll PM and you can show me what they are supposed to be like.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2022, 01:00:03 PM »
fair enough. Maybe I just don't care enough to keep trying lol. or maybe it's like tomatoes and i'll never like them.
next time I'm in FL I'll PM and you can show me what they are supposed to be like.

🤣

Deal.

I'll start saving up in my piggy bank now so I can have enough to buy some when you get here.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2022, 01:15:36 PM »
just found this thread. As someone who is in the business I can tell you for a fact Bingo is losing $ on POF milk and probably on the eggs too. Pesach/Easter season ALWAYS pushes the price of eggs up and this year with added issues its at an all time high. Every week without fail the supplier send out price jumps in all departments. In the last 3 months alone some companies raised their pricing multiple times. When you see a price increase in a store it’s bec there’s a price increase from the manufacturer. Yes you’ll find “deals” here and there but there’s a strategy for the most part. And where you save on one product they’ll make it up on another.
Costco is still selling 2 dozen large eggs @3.99 and Target is 18 for 2.99. Are they losing money or do they have long term contracts that mitigate the price increases?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2022, 01:30:36 PM »
I don't mean cooked well done, but who eats chicken not well done anyway?

lol, I just had a chicken BLT somewhere and was jokingly telling my lunchmate that I forgot to order it rare.