Topic Wiki

Interest losses interest
« Last edited by yesitsme on June 19, 2022, 10:54:14 PM »

Author Topic: Parental support  (Read 30373 times)

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Parental support
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2022, 03:42:59 PM »
Boys side will often ask if the support is coming from the girls earnings or the parents pockets.

I hate being that guy who is always nitpicking but words mean things. "Often" means "many times". I'm not doubting that you are aware of many times that this conversation took place but as a data point I just want to add, I am 1 of 13, my wife is 1 of 7. In exactly 0 out of those 20 shidduchim did that conversation happen. And I just checked with three siblings who have a combined 8 children married and they confirmed that such a question was never asked (with one adding that had someone asked that it probably would have spelled the end of that shidduch.)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
I hate being that guy who is always nitpicking but words mean things. "Often" means "many times". I'm not doubting that you are aware of many times that this conversation took place but as a data point I just want to add, I am 1 of 13, my wife is 1 of 7. In exactly 0 out of those 20 shidduchim did that conversation happen. And I just checked with three siblings who have a combined 8 children married and they confirmed that such a question was never asked (with one adding that had someone asked that it probably would have spelled the end of that shidduch.)

נחמתנו. That was a whole new level.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 20, 2022, 03:52:34 PM »
Cringeworthy
Yes and no. If the boys side is told the girl has had a well paying job for several years and the family is also offering support it wouldn’t be fair to find out later that the two were really one and the same. I had a friend who knew he was marrying a girl with no support but had a decent job. She was well into her low twenties. During sheva beracha she found out that the girls mother had put the entire wedding shower, furniture, some wedding expenses, and other things she had furnished on the girls credit card, leaving the couple with $1500 in her account and the months rent coming up. Not a great way to start off.

Offline drosenberg88429

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 20, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »
נחמתנו. That was a whole new level.

It's not good to believe everything we read on the Internet. Occasionally, it has happened that there are inaccuracies and exaggerations.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 20, 2022, 04:25:41 PM »
Should not have used the word often. I have heard of it enough to know it isn’t an aberration and have actually been privy to something close to it on one attempt at making a shidduch but can’t attest to it being often. Judging from the people I’ve heard it from, my guess is that it would really depend on the circumstances. For a girl fresh out of seminary it obviously isn’t relevant. A shadchan or close friend who can assure the parents that the girls family took care of their other shidduchim would probably also obviate the question. Same goes for parents who obviously have means.

If the girl is one of 12 in a chinuch family without well to do grandparents and the parents are promising support that would be more likely to have the parents second guessing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 04:30:24 PM by jye »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 20, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Yes and no. If the boys side is told the girl has had a well paying job for several years and the family is also offering support it wouldn’t be fair to find out later that the two were really one and the same. I had a friend who knew he was marrying a girl with no support but had a decent job. She was well into her low twenties. During sheva beracha she found out that the girls mother had put the entire wedding shower, furniture, some wedding expenses, and other things she had furnished on the girls credit card, leaving the couple with $1500 in her account and the months rent coming up. Not a great way to start off.
Our young couples should communicate about delicate topics even before they are married.
Him: Since we're not getting parental support, what is our budget going to look like?
(I have no savings except the $500 I made in camp. Do you have savings?  )
I have no income presently.  Should I look into tutoring? Picking up seasonal jobs?
What is your take home pay?
What are your expense priorities?  Mine are food, rent.  (And I need to buy thousands of dollars of sefarim each month  :D )
What price range apartment: location vs size vs price?

Her: My job pays X.  Rents are in the XX range.  That leaves us with a surplus of X. 
From my research, we can/ cannot quite live on that.
We have / don't have a cushion of approximately X in my savings.  Do you have savings?
Are there expenses that you can think of that we'll need to cover in the first year of marriage?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 20, 2022, 07:06:45 PM »
Our young couples should communicate about delicate topics even before they are married.
Him: Since we're not getting parental support, what is our budget going to look like?
I have no income presently.  Should I look into tutoring? Picking up seasonal jobs?
What are your expense priorities?  Mine are food, rent.  (And I need to buy thousands of dollars of sefarim each month  :D )

Her: My job pays X.  Rents are in the XX range.  That leaves us with a surplus of X. 
We have / don't have a cushion of approximately X in my savings.  Do you have savings?
Are there expenses that you can think of that we'll need to cover in the first year of marriage?

Probably would end up in a lot more broken engagements if the chosson kallah start hashing out all the nitty gritty before the wedding although in theory it would make sense. It would also be a backstop to her parents trying to drain her account to pay for the wedding expenses.
“Malkie, didn’t it say 56,000 last week when we worked out all of our future income streams and budget? Why is it showing $46.50 left in your account?!!

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 20, 2022, 07:28:29 PM »

Maybe this should be discussed before they even go out, and spare people from the heartache of realizing that they're on radically different pages.

In fact, in many circles, this is discussed before they go out.

That's what this thread is about.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2022, 09:08:19 PM »
I don't know why you feel a need to highlight the horror stories and make them sound like they are the norm. The vast majority of people who ask about support do so in a respectful and reasonable manner.

Nor do they say the daughter has a well paying job and support and then go on to saddle the girl with thousands of CC debt.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 09:15:17 PM by ari3 »

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »

Sounds like a very romantic conversation.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2022, 11:11:21 PM »
Sounds like a very romantic conversation.

Most people that I know have pretty practical and purposeful conversations while dating, and certainly while engaged. It's not all roses and lace.

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2022, 11:40:05 PM »
Source?

Not sure - only that this is what I have always been taught.

(I remember someone quoting a source for it in a shiur, but don't remember who it was, or what the source is.)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2022, 11:52:34 PM »
Not sure - only that this is what I have always been taught.

(I remember someone quoting a source for it in a shiur, but don't remember who it was, or what the source is.)
חו׳׳מ סי׳ ער ס׳׳ב ברמ׳׳א

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2022, 07:55:52 PM »
חו׳׳מ סי׳ ער ס׳׳ב ברמ׳׳א

Thank you.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2022, 09:47:18 PM »
What is a normal monthly amount to give a seminary girl for spending money (excluding public transportation - which is on my Rav Kav and CC)?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 30, 2022, 09:57:54 PM »
What is a normal monthly amount to give a seminary girl for spending money (excluding public transportation - which is on my Rav Kav and CC)?
Depends how good or bad the food is in sem or maybe there is no food on certain days.
In my experience they go out to eat to socialize a lot more than boys. Even if it's salad or ice cream it adds up lol.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #296 on: October 30, 2022, 09:58:05 PM »
does she have money saved up? did you give her spending money in America?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #297 on: October 30, 2022, 10:22:16 PM »
Depends how good or bad the food is in sem or maybe there is no food on certain days.
In my experience they go out to eat to socialize a lot more than boys. Even if it's salad or ice cream it adds up lol.

Can you put a figure on it? FWIW I am talking about Tzfas, not JLM.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 30, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »
Has she asked for an amount or general idea?

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 30, 2022, 11:32:16 PM »

When I was in Israel as a boy, I found that I would spend about $10 a day on food, and that was being pretty cheap (but buying prepared food or instant food, not having access to proper kitchen I considered kosher or economies of scale). I'd guess female standards are higher. I would say $100 a week should cover basic food a couple times a week, very basic toiletries, and basic hostess gifts for shabbos. (Also, my notions are based on Jerusalem pricing - Tzfas may be 25% more easily.)

As others mentioned, it's not uncommon for girls to cover their own personal spending in seminary using savings accumulated from working summers, babysitting, etc. It teaches a concept of budgeting and personal responsibility, good skills to learn before marriage. However, that wasn't your question, and is up to your personal chinuch approach and reasoning, not for me to mix in to.