Author Topic: HTC Coming Out With New Sprint Phone?  (Read 49199 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: HTC Coming Out With New Sprint Phone?
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »
I don't really see too many advantages of the S3 over the GNex and from a quick look of the S3 touchwiz overlay I'd rather have the plain vanilla ICS that comes with the GNex over the S3.

There's a chance the galaxy s3 will have better battery life.  Plus I def like the look of it over the Nexus. Touchwiz doesn't bother me. I kind of like it. Another thing I care about is the camera and the Nexus isn't known to be anything special.  I hope we wont have to wait too many months until we can really compare.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: HTC Coming Out With New Sprint Phone?
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 12:13:14 AM »
I don't really see too many advantages of the S3 over the GNex and from a quick look of the S3 touchwiz overlay I'd rather have the plain vanilla ICS that comes with the GNex over the S3.
There's a chance the galaxy s3 will have better battery life.  Plus I def like the look of it over the Nexus. Touchwiz doesn't bother me. I kind of like it. Another thing I care about is the camera and the Nexus isn't known to be anything special.  I hope we wont have to wait too many months until we can really compare.
The camera will kill the Gnex camera due to the 8 megapixel vs 5 AND the MANY really cool features.
Also, the battery for the Nexus is 1850 mAh vs 2100 for the S3.
The S3 will feature many smart features including S voice. Although I agree that if you're not into that stuff, it's pretty pointless.
Also I'm not too hot about TouchWiz, it could get on the way. I KNOW, on the other hand, I could rely on Sense (for the HTC) for an enhanced experience.
The one thing that is definitely a big advantage for the Nexus is that it will be getting Android Jellybean way before it ever reaches the S3..
In any case, watch out for variations on the Galaxy S3 on the US version and also on each carrier, it could be a very different picture than the S3 we know today, for better or for worse..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 12:50:35 AM »
But apparently the reviewers have said that it actually looks good in person.

Definitely not what BGR thought - they thought it was the one serious knock against the phone.

Then again, if that's the only thing they're really complaining about...

The S3 will feature many smart features including S voice.
Also I'm not too hot about TouchWiz, it could get on the way.

I just can't see S voice even being in the same league as Siri, though I'd love to be wrong.

+1, I don't think TouchWiz is as aesthetically or practically pleasing as HTCs sense... one of the reasons I'm leaning toward the EVO for my upgrade.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:13 AM »
Definitely not what BGR thought - they thought it was the one serious knock against the phone.

YEP! There's ALWAYS something wrong. LET THAT BE IT!!
Is Sprint.com going to crash tomorrow 9AM? One thing is for sure, I'll be there IYH.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
Got mine!
Preorder opened up about 8:58 am.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 09:45:40 AM »
Any idea when these things are supposed to ship?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2012, 10:16:33 AM »
Called Sprint yesterday was told no official announcement but "rumors" have it that it will be shipping around May 18th. HUCA x1 and was told around mother's day.
Two years ago with the original Evo 4G, it took all the way till June...
A watched pot...

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
You're an android guy and a techie, yeah? Maybe you can help me out. A few months ago for the first time in my life my email got hacked/ a virus and email were sent out from my address. I changed my passwords etc but since then I don't download anything that has permissions to Contacts/phone calls etc.   
Am I being paranoid? I use a third party twitter app for this very reason. But I like having flickr on my phone and there's no other option good enough like the actual flickr app. The problem is they have tons of permissions.

What do you you think?
Its definitely a good idea to limit the amount of apps that can access your info, but you have to decide where to draw the line of convenience vs security... If its from a big company, Facebook/Twitter etc then I will download it, if its a no name then I am more careful. You could flash your phone over to CyanogenMod which includes the ability to revoke permissions per app, see here.

@sky121: If you want pretty you can wait for the Samsung Galaxy S 3 which is also supposed to be available sometime this summer. Just be aware that the US version will not include quad-core, rather dual.
Honestly, other than the fact that I'm overdue for an upgrade, I'm quite torn between the two (just read up about it today, was unveiled late last week).
BAHayman! HELP!!

Edit: To get things moving, I'm going to preorder the Evo. By the time it arrives I'm sure there will be more info about the Galaxy such as the US specs and if it's coming to Sprint altogether.
There's always 14-day remorse...
IMHO Samsung phones do not feel like they are built well, they just feel crappy. There is also no comparison with the screen, the HTC is amazing and Samsung went the route of a Pentile display which just dosen't compare at all :(
The only thing that I really desire from the S3 is the removal battery, but I will have to survive with a portable USB charger like the Zagg Sparq.

I could have sworn I read that The Verge said it looked pretty decent, but I can't seem to find it so I could've imagined it :P

My clueless phone rep assured me mine would arrive by May 10th... But I highly doubt she knew anything as she allowed me to upgrade my Airave line :P

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »

IMHO Samsung phones do not feel like they are built well, they just feel crappy. There is also no comparison with the screen, the HTC is amazing and Samsung went the route of a Pentile display which just dosen't compare at all :(
The only thing that I really desire from the S3 is the removal battery, but I will have to survive with a portable USB charger like the Zagg Sparq.
Yes, felt the crappy feel when I picked up the S2 but this one looks like it will be ceramic casing whatever that means..
In any case, glad to hear that you are still going for the Evo as I just bought mine ;)

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
Yes, felt the crappy feel when I picked up the S2 but this one looks like it will be ceramic casing whatever that means..
In any case, glad to hear that you are still going for the Evo as I just bought mine ;)

Where Samsung falls behind its direct competitor is in the actual feel of the phone. Although the sides of the white Galaxy S III and the front of the dark blue version both sport a brushed metal look, they're made out of good old plastic. Alas, as much as we wished Samsung would move away from cheap-feeling (if sturdy) materials, the GS III is just keeping up with tradition. The glossy back is now more in keeping with the original Galaxy S than the textured finish on the Galaxy S II.

The main takeaway when you first pick up the Galaxy S III is that it's surprisingly light. It weighs over 130 grams, so it isn't that much of a featherweight, but the sensation of holding it is one of weightlessness. It almost feels hollow. We're not huge fans of this, we appreciate a bit more of a reassuring heft.
Source

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
My clueless phone rep assured me mine would arrive by May 10th... But I highly doubt she knew anything as she allowed me to upgrade my Airave line :P

Awesome.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Samsung uses plastic to keep their phones so lightweight.  Personally I don't mind that tradeoff.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
The camera will kill the Gnex camera due to the 8 megapixel vs 5 AND the MANY really cool features.
Also, the battery for the Nexus is 1850 mAh vs 2100 for the S3.
The S3 will feature many smart features including S voice. Although I agree that if you're not into that stuff, it's pretty pointless.
Also I'm not too hot about TouchWiz, it could get on the way. I KNOW, on the other hand, I could rely on Sense (for the HTC) for an enhanced experience.
The one thing that is definitely a big advantage for the Nexus is that it will be getting Android Jellybean way before it ever reaches the S3..
In any case, watch out for variations on the Galaxy S3 on the US version and also on each carrier, it could be a very different picture than the S3 we know today, for better or for worse..
So the S3 has a battery that's 10% longer and a camera that may be marginally better (MP isn't everything).
Wake me up when there's a replaceable battery that's 50% longer and a camera sensor that can make me leave my Canon behind.  (Still managed to take the Parents magazine contest shot of Rafi and some photos in my LA TR from the GNex)

Nothing earth-shattering worth waiting for IMHO, esp considering as you say that the Nexus will get Jellybean much quicker and TouchWiz can be annoying.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
So you're saying get the GNex now instead of waiting a couple (few?) weeks for the more updated S3 or EVO? Really?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
So the S3 has a battery that's 10% longer and a camera that may be marginally better (MP isn't everything).
Wake me up when there's a replaceable battery that's 50% longer and a camera sensor that can make me leave my Canon behind.  (Still managed to take the Parents magazine contest shot of Rafi and some photos in my LA TR from the GNex)

Nothing earth-shattering worth waiting for IMHO, esp considering as you say that the Nexus will get Jellybean much quicker and TouchWiz can be annoying.
Absolutely nothing earth shattering. Unlike with the Evo ;) ;) Confirmed by our very own BAHayman..
PS. Did Rafi end up winning?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »
So you're saying get the GNex now instead of waiting a couple (few?) weeks for the more updated S3 or EVO? Really?
I'm not comparing to the EVO.  I'm comparing GNex to the S3 which seems to me to be but a small incremental upgrade with several downgrades as well.
And the S2 was delayed by months...we'll see what happens to the S3.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »
I'm not comparing to the EVO.  I'm comparing GNex to the S3 which seems to me to be but a small incremental upgrade with several downgrades as well.
And the S2 was delayed by months...we'll see what happens to the S3.

Fair enough.

What are your thoughts on GNex vs. EVO, if you have any?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Samsung uses plastic to keep their phones so lightweight.  Personally I don't mind that tradeoff.
But the Evo 4G LTE is the same weight as the Galaxy S3 and both of them are even lighter then the Galaxy Nexus, see here.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
But the Evo 4G LTE is the same weight as the Galaxy S3 and both of them are even lighter then the Galaxy Nexus, see here.
Light AND sturdy, can't get better than that.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
So I guess you guys decided EVO > S3 :)