Topic Wiki

הכי בבית בעולם

« Last edited by yesitsme on July 07, 2022, 08:34:32 PM »

Author Topic: Israeli Army Problems  (Read 19070 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Israeli Army Problems
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2022, 01:47:54 AM »
Not sure when your last son went to yeshiva, but the government seems to have cracked down in the last few years. They started insisting on original birth certificates in order to apply for a student visa about 3 years ago, in order to make it harder to change parental details to circumvent citizenship status tracking.

Was more than 3 years ago.

Sick country.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Darth1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »
Not sure when your last son went to yeshiva, but the government seems to have cracked down in the last few years. They started insisting on original birth certificates in order to apply for a student visa about 3 years ago, in order to make it harder to change parental details to circumvent citizenship status tracking.
They do insist on original birth certificates now. But I do have some friends that argued their way into allowing them to fax/scan in the birth certificates and they just sent photoshopped documents...

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »
I got a call this morning from the consulate that my kids paperwork has been processed and they're ready to proceed with the application to renounce citizenship.

Only a clerk at the Israeli consulate could ask the following question: "Would you like to come in here again or send things by email?"  ::) ::) ::)

In any event, since both myself and DW are Israeli citizens, they asked that she too complete an application for renouncement (even though her details are mentioned on my application, but they explained that it is informational only, and every adult needs their own application, and since she's a parent, she needs to list/include all the children too).

While AFAIK the fee is ILS 345, they probably update the USD fee periodically, rather than charge the ILS fee, so the recent USD strength that would make that less than $100 per applicant doesn't seem to help. They want to charge $114 each (including each of the children).

I emailed the documentation they requested and am waiting for a call back to take my CC information to charge and get the ball rolling (at least it will help with the SUB for a card).

-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2022, 03:07:23 PM »
(at least it will help with the SUB for a card).
you think the Israel will be done by the time the SUB window closes?  ;D ;D

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »

Hopefully they’ll take the money now (SUB-wise)
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2022, 03:13:14 PM »
When government wants money they have no problem figuring out how to get it. When you want money from them that's where the red tape starts

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2022, 03:15:23 PM »

They take the money on the spot. Though in any event it's a brand new account and I have 3 months to spend (and still open צדקה obligations).
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »

I actually am guessing it won't take too long. So far each step seemed to have been a week to 10 days.
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2022, 03:17:42 PM »
I actually am guessing it won't take too long. So far each step seemed to have been a week to 10 days.

That’s like one volley to HQ in Israel and back :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
Got a phone call today to take my CC to pay the fee for the application to renounce. Was told that charge would be done later and I will be informed of the amount.

The good news is that they only charge a fee for the adults, so while I thought it would cost me close to $1,000 I was only charged $228.

Also got this for my 17 year old daughter:

While not very relevant for me or my daughter at this point, this includes important information regarding the status of those that are Israeli citizens by virtue of birth outside of Israel to Israeli citizens.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2022, 11:13:45 AM »
The good news is that they only charge a fee for the adults, so while I thought it would cost me close to $1,000 I was only charged $228.

Just received a followup email from them saying that since my daughter is 18, they will charge for her too and she will need her own application (she doesn't turn 18 until October!!!).

Total incompetence. And then they wonder why people aren't interested in their citizenship.

Also, the official fee is ILS 355, which at today's exchange rates translates to $101.05, yet they want to charge $114 per adult application. https://www.gov.il/he/departments/general/fees_and_payments
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:23:59 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2022, 11:44:32 AM »
Just received a followup email from them saying that since my daughter is 18, they will charge for her too and she will need her own application (she doesn't turn 18 until October!!!).

Total incompetence. And then they wonder why people aren't interested in their citizenship.

Also, the official fee is ILS 355, which at today's exchange rates translates to $101.05, yet they want to charge $114 per adult application. https://www.gov.il/he/departments/general/fees_and_payments

They are now claiming that over 16 needs to pay the fee. And as for the rate, they say it's updated annually (I wonder what they would say if the exchange rate would have gone the other direction).
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2022, 12:45:31 PM »
They are now claiming that over 16 needs to pay the fee. And as for the rate, they say it's updated annually (I wonder what they would say if the exchange rate would have gone the other direction).

PITA!

They themselves aren't really familiar with the procedures, keep on changing what they say. In any event it seems like over the age of 16 they need to give their authorization in writing (they claim that would also require a fee, but are unable to show proof of such).

From what I gather, there might actually be a possibility for parents to renounce citizenship only for a minor, without renouncing their own citizenship. And in that case a fee would definitely be due: https://www.gov.il/BlobFolder/service/waiver_of_israeli_citizenship_for_minor/he/156.pdf
-- Dan

Offline Dave321

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »
PITA!

They themselves aren't really familiar with the procedures, keep on changing what they say. In any event it seems like over the age of 16 they need to give their authorization in writing (they claim that would also require a fee, but are unable to show proof of such).

From what I gather, there might actually be a possibility for parents to renounce citizenship only for a minor, without renouncing their own citizenship. And in that case a fee would definitely be due: https://www.gov.il/BlobFolder/service/waiver_of_israeli_citizenship_for_minor/he/156.pdf
they are the worst

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2022, 01:25:10 PM »
It seems to me that the complexity and bureaucracy of the process is a self-fullfilling prophecy.

People avoid doing it, due to the terrible experience, which is partially a result of the people at the consulate not really knowing what to do and what the proper procedures are (since it seems to be a relatively rare activity for them).

If they would be flooded with these applications and would have to handle at least one per day - preferably more, they might become more proficient and know the procedure, resulting in less do-overs, recalling people to show up in person at the consulate, and maybe - gasp - an actual update to the procedures.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2022, 01:26:16 PM »
they are the worst

IDK. I haven't had to deal with all countries and bureaucracies out there. But they definitely have a terrible attitude, are incompetent, and highly bureaucratic.
-- Dan

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2022, 02:35:16 PM »
My mother renounced her citizenship years ago, I think head of my oldest brother heading to Yeshiva. I don't remember her having too many issues, though they did give her a lot of attitude.
She only regretted it now when she wanted to go so badly during COVID and wasn't able to.

I seem to remember my brother and sister giving a different name for their mother (though I'm not sure why they had to if she had renounced her citizenship already). Again this only arose as a problem in the past 2 years when my mother wanted to go for a simcha but couldn't state that she's their mother.

I do remember a sister of mine having to go to the embassy to get some paperwork done and they were beyond obnoxious. To the point they wouldn't make a copy for her and insisted she shlep a few blocks over to a Staples or so to get the copy. This was many flights of stairs and blocks of running (they were almost closing) and she was highly pregnant at the time.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2022, 03:37:44 PM »
they wouldn't make a copy for her and insisted she shlep a few blocks over to a Staples or so to get the copy. This was many flights of stairs and blocks of running (they were almost closing) and she was highly pregnant at the time.

Given the quality of their scans and copies that is fully understood. If it's something they need they wanted a clear copy.
-- Dan

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2022, 05:10:16 AM »
Got a phone call today to take my CC to pay the fee for the application to renounce. Was told that charge would be done later and I will be informed of the amount.

While not very relevant for me or my daughter at this point, this includes important information regarding the status of those that are Israeli citizens by virtue of birth outside of Israel to Israeli citizens.

LOL #2 B/C was put in because of me!

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2022, 09:14:57 AM »
PITA!

Received an email this morning (after emailing them several arguments yesterday) kind of acknowledging that they are clueless about the process, stating that they emailed their higher ups in Israel for guidance as to the procedures.
-- Dan