Author Topic: Restaurant tipping  (Read 6682 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurant tipping
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2022, 01:32:34 AM »
I wonder if the UberEats etc default tipping is making people feel ripped off by the entire concept. It's absurd to pay a delivery guy a percentage when thier job is entirely uncorrelated to the cost/value of the food and there is unlikely to ever be a second interaction
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 05:10:11 AM »
I'm all for getting rid of tips and just including them in the cost of the item. I don't mean mandatory tips. I mean - charge $1.15 for a drink instead of $1 + gratuity.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 08:30:18 AM »
I wonder if the UberEats etc default tipping is making people feel ripped off by the entire concept. It's absurd to pay a delivery guy a percentage when thier job is entirely uncorrelated to the cost/value of the food and there is unlikely to ever be a second interaction

Yup, I end up switching to $0 in the app and giving the delivery person $1-2 cash.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 09:33:34 AM »
I like the Target/Shipt method. After the items are delivered, you can an email with an option to tip. Allowable tip options are 10, 15, and 20 percent, or a custom amount. I first make sure that all the items are correct and I weigh the service/communication of the driver before I tip.

I take also into account what I ordered. If I ordered just a few boxes of diapers, I often give a flat $5 tip. Why should the driver bank on my 10 or 15 percent on expensive items when there was so little effort. On the other hand, when I stock up on drinks, I often tip 20 percent, because the driver is carrying very heavy but inexpensive items.

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 11:00:43 AM »
I like the Target/Shipt method. After the items are delivered, you can an email with an option to tip. Allowable tip options are 10, 15, and 20 percent, or a custom amount. I first make sure that all the items are correct and I weigh the service/communication of the driver before I tip.

I take also into account what I ordered. If I ordered just a few boxes of diapers, I often give a flat $5 tip. Why should the driver bank on my 10 or 15 percent on expensive items when there was so little effort. On the other hand, when I stock up on drinks, I often tip 20 percent, because the driver is carrying very heavy but inexpensive items.
The problem is that many of these apps pay Bubkos, so the drivers rely on tips a lot.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 12:53:56 PM »
The problem is that many of these apps pay Bubkos, so the drivers rely on tips a lot.

If you don’t agree with the ethics of it, don’t use those apps. Using them and paying these exorbitant tips keeps these apps in business.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 04:07:41 PM »
I give nice tips when it's deserved. But I don't think that the driver who delivered 3 $45 boxes of diapers deserves a 10 percent tip of $13.50 while the driver who delivered four cases of poland spring water bottles and a dozen 2-liter bottles of soda deserves a 10 percent tip of $3.50. I would give the first guy $5 and the second $10.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2022, 11:06:07 PM »
I've started tipping $4 or 15% (the lower of the 2) on UberEats deliveries for fear of CH with lower amount.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moish613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 03:05:12 PM »

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2022, 10:13:55 PM »
I had a lousy delivery experience with UE this week, so just as he left I switched the tip to $0, and the receipt I got from UE reflected this.

To my surprise, I then get a message an hour later from the delivery guy thanking me for the generous tip, and I checked my order and found an updated receipt with a tip for $6.19. I certainly had not changed the tip from $0, nor was this even the amount I specified when originally placing the order.

I immediately reached out to UE help, but they claimed that since an hour had gone by it was impossible to adjust the tip any longer, and they wouldn't even give it to me as Uber bucks credit.

Any tips on how to dispute this with UE and/or Amex?

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2022, 12:21:19 AM »

I had a lousy delivery experience with UE this week, so just as he left I switched the tip to $0, and the receipt I got from UE reflected this.

To my surprise, I then get a message an hour later from the delivery guy thanking me for the generous tip, and I checked my order and found an updated receipt with a tip for $6.19. I certainly had not changed the tip from $0, nor was this even the amount I specified when originally placing the order.

I immediately reached out to UE help, but they claimed that since an hour had gone by it was impossible to adjust the tip any longer, and they wouldn't even give it to me as Uber bucks credit.

Ask ue again. And then again until you get someone who can understand English and your question. Ime once you get that person customer service is great.

Until then it's like מגדל בבל. Good luck.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2022, 01:51:36 AM »

If you have a receipt showing $0 why not show it to Amex/UE? Should be easy win.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2023, 12:00:07 AM »
Is tipping getting out of hand? It seems like every place now has it. I am waiting to see it at McDonalds.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2023, 12:20:24 AM »
I always agreed with Mr Pink.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2023, 12:23:33 AM »
I always agreed with Mr Pink.
Reservoir Dogs?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2023, 12:24:21 AM »
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2023, 07:58:17 PM »

Disgusting. The way these apps trick you into tipping (and the general lack of transparency in their pricing) is atrocious. Worthy of FTC/AG investigations for sure.

Not suggesting that’s what happened to you, as it sounds like in your case you never tipped.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:03:36 PM by AsherO »

Offline WAM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2023, 02:14:31 AM »
Disgusting. The way these apps trick you into tipping (and the general lack of transparency in their pricing) is atrocious. Worthy of FTC/AG investigations for sure.

Not suggesting that’s what happened to you, as it sounds like in your case you never tipped.
I used an app for a kosher restaurant to order to go. The checkout screen had 0% tip highlighted, but was still charging 15%. I had to tap 0% again in order to take off the tip. I'm sure it was a bug - I think I complained to the app developer, but I'm not sure. In either case, the next time I ordered, the tip defaulted to 0%

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2023, 09:42:54 AM »
approx how much does an uber driver make for delivering a $20 sandwich a mile away, before tip?

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2023, 10:24:57 AM »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/