Author Topic: Google Fi In Israel and Europe  (Read 2250 times)

Offline iaustin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Google Fi In Israel and Europe
« on: June 25, 2022, 09:46:51 PM »
Looking for an option for a way to use a US number on and American IPhone in both Israel and Europe this summer.  Someone suggested Google Fi.  Can you someone explain how it works please or if there is a better option.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fi In Israel and Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 09:19:20 AM »
Looking for an option for a way to use a US number on and American IPhone in both Israel and Europe this summer.  Someone suggested Google Fi.  Can you someone explain how it works please or if there is a better option.

How long are you going for?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline iaustin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
a month, have you ever used it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
Fi is great
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline iaustin

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:33 AM »
Can you please explain how it works, my American Number will ring wherever I am and it wont charge to Verizon and I can make outgoing calls which won't charge to Verizon and all my data is through Google Fi?  Thank you

Offline dsprod

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz pc, Marriott gold, United premier platinum, star alliance gold.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 01:10:27 PM »
Does it require a 5G device?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »
Can you please explain how it works, my American Number will ring wherever I am and it wont charge to Verizon and I can make outgoing calls which won't charge to Verizon and all my data is through Google Fi?  Thank you

I don’t think your Fi would ring your current Verizon Wireless number unless you forwarded the calls. Does Verizon charge for call forwarding?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
Does Verizon charge for call forwarding?
No. Not to a domestic number.

Fi charges $0.20/min for voice calls when traveling internationally. If you are receiving/making calls from/to the US while traveling internationally your best bet is to get a free Google Voice number and install the Google Voice app, and forward your US phone number to the Google Voice number. For Verizon, enable call forwarding using *72 + your GV number before you leave for your trip. In the Google Voice app tell it to prefer data/Wi-Fi calling instead of voice minutes. Google Voice will then use VoIP for phone calls to/from the US which is free using your data plan (uses a tiny bit of data). You'll still pay Google Fi for international data service but this way you aren't paying per minute for voice. The only downside is when you call the US from Google Voice it will show as your Google Voice number and not your Verizon number. You can block your GV caller ID number though.

Google Fi works great but it's not cheap ($65/mo or $20/mo+$10/GB).  Try a data-only eSIM provider like Airalo ($20 for 10GB, good for 30 days. Less if you need less data) together with Google Voice as mentioned above. You'll need a different eSIM for Europe and a different one for Israel though. Plus you won't have the ability to make local calls in the country you are visiting (though you could deposit money into Google Voice and use it to make calls to Europe and Israel at $0.01-$0.03/min).

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 08:26:26 AM »

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 08:42:09 AM »
No. Not to a domestic number.

Fi charges $0.20/min for voice calls when traveling internationally. If you are receiving/making calls from/to the US while traveling internationally your best bet is to get a free Google Voice number and install the Google Voice app, and forward your US phone number to the Google Voice number. For Verizon, enable call forwarding using *72 + your GV number before you leave for your trip. In the Google Voice app tell it to prefer data/Wi-Fi calling instead of voice minutes. Google Voice will then use VoIP for phone calls to/from the US which is free using your data plan (uses a tiny bit of data). You'll still pay Google Fi for international data service but this way you aren't paying per minute for voice. The only downside is when you call the US from Google Voice it will show as your Google Voice number and not your Verizon number. You can block your GV caller ID number though.

Google Fi works great but it's not cheap ($65/mo or $20/mo+$10/GB).  Try a data-only eSIM provider like Airalo ($20 for 10GB, good for 30 days. Less if you need less data) together with Google Voice as mentioned above. You'll need a different eSIM for Europe and a different one for Israel though. Plus you won't have the ability to make local calls in the country you are visiting (though you could deposit money into Google Voice and use it to make calls to Europe and Israel at $0.01-$0.03/min).

Actually, it should be simpler than this. I forgot Verizon supports Wi-Fi calling. Just enable Wi-Fi calling before you leave for your trip and get a data only Airalo eSIM. Make sure to disable the Verizon cellular data and cellular roaming and enable the eSIM data+roaming in the phone settings before you land. You'll be able to make/receive phone calls and texts to your US Verizon number using data from the eSIM. Just keep in mind that they will still charge you international rates if you call or text Israel or Europe.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 02:01:40 AM »
Can a Google Fi line be activated in Israel or does it have to be activated first in the US?
I purchased a S22 from them and need to port in a number within 30 days. Can I do that when in Israel?

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 02:09:30 AM »
Can a Google Fi line be activated in Israel or does it have to be activated first in the US?
I purchased a S22 from them and need to port in a number within 30 days. Can I do that when in Israel?
Must activate in the US. Not sure about porting.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 12:04:30 PM »
You can unpause service in Israel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »
Fi is great

Until it isn't.

During my recent trip it was quite inconsistent in Israel. I was manually selecting networks to get data.

And then in Istanbul I simply couldn't get data to work, which was quite detrimental.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline gmd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 02:35:11 AM »
Actually, it should be simpler than this. I forgot Verizon supports Wi-Fi calling. Just enable Wi-Fi calling before you leave for your trip and get a data only Airalo eSIM. Make sure to disable the Verizon cellular data and cellular roaming and enable the eSIM data+roaming in the phone settings before you land. You'll be able to make/receive phone calls and texts to your US Verizon number using data from the eSIM. Just keep in mind that they will still charge you international rates if you call or text Israel or Europe.
I was actually just wondering about this for a AT&T plan on a iphone, would I be able to use Wi-Fi calling to make calls on my american number from Israel? Also can I enable an eSIM on a locked AT&T iphone?

Offline stooges44

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 02:11:15 PM »

I'm confused? I get this https://www.airalo.com/israel-esim (I only need it for EY). And based on the instructions on their site, I install their app and then what...?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
It's easier if you do it from a computer instead of the app. You buy the eSIM with whatever data allotment you need and they give you a QR code. Take a picture of the QR code with your phone and it will automatically install the eSIM. Then follow the instructions in my post that you quoted.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 03:34:54 PM »
Until it isn't.

During my recent trip it was quite inconsistent in Israel. I was manually selecting networks to get data.

And then in Istanbul I simply couldn't get data to work, which was quite detrimental.
same. Randomly losing data even when I have strong signal. I keep turning airplane mode on and off to fix it. Using it in a OnePlus 8. Went back to TMobile/,cellcom using Google voice and WhatsApp with much better success

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »
Am I reading correctly that the Simply Unlimited plan will not allow any usage oversees? So will the Flexible plan be the best option for me If I plan on using under 3 GB?

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2022, 04:07:03 PM »
Am I reading correctly that the Simply Unlimited plan will not allow any usage oversees? So will the Flexible plan be the best option for me If I plan on using under 3 GB?
That's correct.
In addition if someone calls you it will be $0.20/min.