Author Topic: HASHAVAS AVEIDA: FOUND LARGE SUM OF MONEY LEFT BY ATM IN LAKEWOOD TODAY  (Read 6421 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
I didn’t know this. Would any prosecutor pursue such a case? Wouldn’t the burden of proof be on them, to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the finder is guilty?
surveillance footage that may show who picked up the money
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile

So once they show you picked it up the burden of proof becomes the finders, to prove they made an effort to return it? You can also ask the bank a month later, I doubt they retain footage for so long. Many systems overwrite after a week.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
TLS just posted.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
So once they show you picked it up the burden of proof becomes the finders, to prove they made an effort to return it? You can also ask the bank a month later, I doubt they retain footage for so long. Many systems overwrite after a week.
It is supposed to be reported to police.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

This doesn’t compute: A person finds money, asks the bank to check cameras which is how they become aware that someone lost money, then the finder gets charged with theft for finding money and not trying to return it?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline aygart

• View Profile
This doesn’t compute: A person finds money, asks the bank to check cameras which is how they become aware that someone lost money, then the finder gets charged with theft for finding money and not trying to return it?
I would imagine that if the bank successfully returned it then it would be moot.

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
why don't you post on Lakewood news
I reached out to some of them.. If anyone has access to any other frum media or large group chats feel free to post or PM me with details how to post with them.

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Is this true?

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
TLS just posted.
Have had a few people reach out right after they posted it. After a few basic questions it seemed they were just trying to make a quick buck, i.e. not sure which bank it was at, switching/unsure the amount the lost, etc..

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Have had a few people reach out right after they posted it. After a few basic questions it seemed they were just trying to make a quick buck, i.e. not sure which bank it was at, switching/unsure the amount the lost, etc..
This makes me sad but it unfortunately is expected when such an announcement goes out. Maybe when the owner identifies themself you should find a way to verify it (in a mutually agreed upon fashion) through the bank/receipt etc.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This makes me sad but it unfortunately is expected when such an announcement goes out. Maybe when the owner identifies themself you should find a way to verify it (in a mutually agreed upon fashion) through the bank/receipt etc.

+1

If anyone claims they had just withdrawn it, they should be able to show that activity (withdrawal of the same amount or if different an explanation of the difference) on their bank statement with the same date (maybe some banks can even show the time).

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®

Maybe after all the right thing to do is to report it to the bank or to the police, rather than trying to outsmart everyone in order to do השבת אבידה.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Maybe after all the right thing to do is to report it to the bank or to the police, rather than trying to outsmart everyone in order to do השבת אבידה.

From what I read online in most jurisdictions where you have to report such a find, the police hold it for a legally specified period of time, and if nobody claims it then they’re legally required to return it to the finder.

Offline madhocker

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
if you have a chiyuv of hashavas aveida, why would you forfeit that and return to the bank? Why wouldn't you make every effort to do a mitzva?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
if you have a chiyuv of hashavas aveida, why would you forfeit that and return to the bank? Why wouldn't you make every effort to do a mitzva?
The bank will give it back to the rightful owner. They are helping you do the mitzvah.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
The bank will give it back to the rightful owner. They are helping you do the mitzvah.
Even if it wouldn't be a kiyum  hamitzva by returning it through the bank, I feel it would be better to make sure the owner got it back , than to try to get a mitzvah for yourself

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Yes, I am not at all surprised. I asked them for basic info that they would know if it was theirs, which bank, what day was it, etc.. and it was pretty clear they were trying to make a buck, and for sure what I found was not theirs.

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
From what I read online in most jurisdictions where you have to report such a find, the police hold it for a legally specified period of time, and if nobody claims it then they’re legally required to return it to the finder.
Thanks for the info, I will look more into this

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
why don't you post on Lakewood news 
Because this is true, not news...

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile