Author Topic: Porting a phone number to get a discount on a phone  (Read 1640 times)

Offline dsprod

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz pc, Marriott gold, United premier platinum, star alliance gold.
Porting a phone number to get a discount on a phone
« on: June 29, 2022, 10:21:06 AM »
I've seen many offers for really discounted iphones (even without a contract) if i port in a number from a different carrier, is it as easy as it sounds? Can i just get any cheap plan and then port out that number to another carrier for the discount?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Porting a phone number to get a discount on a phone
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 10:25:47 AM »
I've seen many offers for really discounted iphones (even without a contract) if i port in a number from a different carrier, is it as easy as it sounds? Can i just get any cheap plan and then port out that number to another carrier for the discount?

Yes, just keep in mind a few things:
- The discounted iPhones might be older models
- Not all are without contracts, some are with recurring credits for 24-months for example.
- Make sure you’re porting in from a qualifying carrier, sometimes only certain carriers count or certain ones (e.g. MVNOs) don’t
- You might pay sales tax on the pre-discount price
- Sometimes unlocking the phone and/or qualifying for the discount requires you to pay for service for a certain amount of months, and sometimes that service has to be on a qualifying rate plan
- Sometimes this triggers a credit pull
- Remember to factor in activation/sim-card charges

Good luck!
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 10:51:31 AM »
Yes, just keep in mind a few things:
- The discounted iPhones might be older models
- Not all are without contracts, some are with recurring credits for 24-months for example.
- Make sure you’re porting in from a qualifying carrier, sometimes only certain carriers count or certain ones (e.g. MVNOs) don’t
- You might pay sales tax on the pre-discount price
- Sometimes unlocking the phone and/or qualifying for the discount requires you to pay for service for a certain amount of months, and sometimes that service has to be on a qualifying rate plan
- Sometimes this triggers a credit pull
- Remember to factor in activation/sim-card charges

Good luck!
AFAIK, the 2 primary no-contract provides that offer discounted iPhones are Cricket & Metro by T-Mobile.
-Metro is only in-store and they require ID so if you take the phones and port out after a month or 2, you’ll get blacklisted. They don’t charge tax on the retail value, but do charge $20 activation fee per line (occasionally they’ll have promotions to waive that)
-Cricket doesn’t charge retail priced tax or activation fees when ordering online, though for some phones they’ll require paying 2-3 months of service in advance. In-store they charge the retail price tax + activation fees.
-Both will have the phones locked to their network for 6 months after purchase.
-Both require a $50-60 plan to get the more expensive phones, though they have multi-line discounts so you can get 4 for $100-120

Offline dsprod

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz pc, Marriott gold, United premier platinum, star alliance gold.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 07:12:45 AM »
AFAIK, the 2 primary no-contract provides that offer discounted iPhones are Cricket & Metro by T-Mobile.
-Metro is only in-store and they require ID so if you take the phones and port out after a month or 2, you’ll get blacklisted. They don’t charge tax on the retail value, but do charge $20 activation fee per line (occasionally they’ll have promotions to waive that)
-Cricket doesn’t charge retail priced tax or activation fees when ordering online, though for some phones they’ll require paying 2-3 months of service in advance. In-store they charge the retail price tax + activation fees.
-Both require a $50-60 plan to get the more expensive phones, though they have multi-line discounts so you can get 4 for $100-120
I dont really mind getting blacklisted from metro ;)
So i can sign up for the cheapest phone plan on a wualifying carrier and port out the number after the first month? Sounds too good to be true. I would have to pay for 2 months of service but its a bargain compared to the discount on the new phone.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »
So i can sign up for the cheapest phone plan on a wualifying carrier and port out the number after the first month? Sounds too good to be true. I would have to pay for 2 months of service but its a bargain compared to the discount on the new phone.

There are certainly deals to be had.

Offline dsprod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 07:38:50 AM »
Cricket wireless says "Pay first three months of $60/mo. plan service ($180 total) at point of sale, plus device taxes. $60 will be applied to first month service charge. Remaining $120 will be credited to your account and applied to second and third months of service unless used on other eligible service or features." Does that mean that i could use the remaining $120 to purchase a new device and then close the account ultimitely paying only $60 for the first month of service with free device?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »
Cricket wireless says "Pay first three months of $60/mo. plan service ($180 total) at point of sale, plus device taxes. $60 will be applied to first month service charge. Remaining $120 will be credited to your account and applied to second and third months of service unless used on other eligible service or features." Does that mean that i could use the remaining $120 to purchase a new device and then close the account ultimitely paying only $60 for the first month of service with free device?

Doubtful. I think the “unless used” works in their favor, e.g. if you incurred extra charges.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »
If you don’t mind getting blacklisted, then you can definitely do this.
Only their most expensive plan qualifies for the better phones. You only need to pay 1 month of service, but need to port in a number. You’d get the most value by bringing in 4 lines.
As always, don’t forget PGFHGS.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »
Yochai, I’ve seen a fair amount of discussion around these promos and don’t recall blacklists being mentioned. What triggers the blacklist? If it’s porting out then maybe just close the account instead of porting out (using throwaway port-in numbers you don’t need, obviously)

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »
Google Fi has an Amazing dela on s22 series (5/600) off with port in requires4 months of service and Google voice lines are eligible

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 12:57:38 PM »
Yochai, I’ve seen a fair amount of discussion around these promos and don’t recall blacklists being mentioned. What triggers the blacklist? If it’s porting out then maybe just close the account instead of porting out (using throwaway port-in numbers you don’t need, obviously)
I know someone who ported in numbers and just closed the account after a the first month. A year later they told him he’s done fraudulent activity in the past and they won’t sell to him.
That’s why they require ID to get free phones.
Cricket allows you to order free phones online with no ID required, but they now want you to pay 3 months of service in advance.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 01:06:13 PM »
Google Fi has an Amazing dela on s22 series (5/600) off with port in requires4 months of service and Google voice lines are eligible
Yup!
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=128977.msg2586620#msg2586620
On a side note, does anyone know if the S22 deal would work if I take the phone with the Fi line to Israel and use an Israeli line on the 2nd SIM for 4 months?

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
They both require you to put down $180 either in the form of 3 months of service or $99 for the phone plus $60 for one month of service plus $20 activation fee.
Is there any better offers out there?
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
I know someone who ported in numbers and just closed the account after a the first month. A year later they told him he’s done fraudulent activity in the past and they won’t sell to him.
That’s why they require ID to get free phones.
Cricket allows you to order free phones online with no ID required, but they now want you to pay 3 months of service in advance.

How does this work if

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 11:55:01 PM »
How does this work if
1. They unlock automatically after 6 months, even if you no longer have service with them.
2. These can be sold on eBay even when locked to a specific carrier.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 11:57:54 PM »
They both require you to put down $180 either in the form of 3 months of service or $99 for the phone plus $60 for one month of service plus $20 activation fee.
Is there any better offers out there?
This is only for the more expensive iPhones. You can get a galaxy A13 or Motorola stylus for free with 4 for $100 lines + $20 activation. Still not totally free but if you have use for the lines anyway, it can definitely be worth it.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 08:05:26 AM »
This is only for the more expensive iPhones. You can get a galaxy A13 or Motorola stylus for free with 4 for $100 lines + $20 activation. Still not totally free but if you have use for the lines anyway, it can definitely be worth it.
Through which carrier?

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 01:55:50 PM »
Metro
Any options without going to a store?

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
Any options without going to a store?
Only on cricket.
Just FYI, T-mobile ports don’t qualify for Metro offers and AT&T ports don’t qualify for cricket.