Author Topic: ELAL Sale to Israel  (Read 15983 times)

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: ELAL Sale to Israel
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Is it better to daven with a minyan on a plane?...over the years I have heard many different opinions.
There are enough rabbanim that say you dont have to. (heard from a few with my own ears) The chillul hashem that is caused on many occasions is a lot worse than not davening with a minyan. (sat next to a woman who ranted about "hassidim praying on planes" on a flight from FCO-JFK)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
There are enough rabbanim that say you dont have to. (heard from a few with my own ears) The chillul hashem that is caused on many occasions is a lot worse than not davening with a minyan. (sat next to a woman who ranted about "hassidim praying on planes" on a flight from FCO-JFK)
i've heard people ranting all kinds of things about yidden, doesn't mean you're causing a chillul hashem.      let them rant.  as the line goes "go to hell, you won't see any jews there"                 anyway, blocking off people from using the bathroom for 20 minutes is a whole different story.             

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2012, 08:05:55 PM »
there are many reasons why one might not daven with a minyan on a plane, but im pretty sure chillul hashem isnt one of them...

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
It all depends how it is done.

The last few times I've seen minyanim being "organized" on planes I almost became myself an antisemite.

As someone said before: you ask the staff, or rather, inform them beforehand.

I'm not sure if a chilul Hashem is to be involved one should go for a minyan.
Moish seems confident that one should, so what's the vort ?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
reminds me of a story - once this guy i kno was flying elal and exactly at the time when u can start putting teffilin some chareidi guy was walking around waking ppl asking them to join the minyan! so when he gets to this person and asks "shachris?" he answered: "shoin gedavent!" and went back to sleep. :)

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2012, 09:56:46 PM »
there are many reasons why one might not daven with a minyan on a plane, but im pretty sure chillul hashem isnt one of them...
I'd like you to find me 1 mainstream rav that will say a minyan is more important than being michallel sheim shamayim.
It all depends how it is done.
+1
reminds me of a story - once this guy i kno was flying elal and exactly at the time when u can start putting teffilin some chareidi guy was walking around waking ppl asking them to join the minyan! so when he gets to this person and asks "shachris?" he answered: "shoin gedavent!" and went back to sleep. :)

HAHAHA!!!!  ;D

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
Not sure if so wow, but sounded good to me: someone asked me for a flight around pessach from DFW-TLV return, and I found $1110 all in with aa and elal.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
Not sure if so wow, but sounded good to me: someone asked me for a flight around pessach from DFW-TLV return, and I found $1110 all in with aa and elal.
This goes into the OT Hall of shame

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2012, 03:18:15 AM »
Nope, its actually an addition: its the elal promo of the OP, but it showes that it can be started elsewhere (for more obviously).

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »
I'd like you to find me 1 mainstream rav that will say a minyan is more important than being michallel sheim shamayim.
you didnt say that a stewardess complained about jews praying on planes, you said
sat next to a woman who ranted about "hassidim praying on planes" on a flight from FCO-JFK
. did that woman know if they had permission from the stewardess? it seems from what youre saying the chillul hashem was the fact that they prayed in an organized fashion. well that doesnt constitute a chillul hashem.
obviously, making a minyan if the seat belt seat is on or against the wishes of the fligt attendant is a different issue altogether. but that has nothing to do with davening on a plane. its the same chillul hashem if the person would ignore th fa to go to the bathroom.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
it seems from what youre saying the chillul hashem was the fact that they prayed in an organized fashion.
Never said this and if thats what it sounded like then I apologize. She said they were blocking the screens while a movie was playing.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
thats still not a reason to say why one shouldnt daven in a minyan on a plane.

you should rather say, dont block screens for any reason, whether to get stuff from the overhead bin for an extended period of time, or to have a conversation with you friend , or to pray

in your case they made a chillul hashem by blocking a screen. they happened to have been praying at the same time