Author Topic: Friends Don't Let Friends Fly YYZ (Toronto Pearson International)  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
Re: Friends Don't Let Friends Fly YYZ (Toronto Pearson International)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Thank God I live in America.
Wait - what? Did I just say that??
/s
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »
Such stupidity at this point. Not sure which Israeli organization this is, but what a pity.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/new-off-site-covid-testing-rules-force-charity-to-cancel-day-trip-for-terror-survivors

A group of Israeli summer campers, all victims of terrorist violence, had to spend the first day of a charity-sponsored trip to Canada on Wednesday scrambling to meet a COVID test deadline instead of visiting Canada’s Wonderland, after nearly half of the 33 children were selected for random testing at the Toronto airport, organizers say.

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2022, 01:32:48 PM »
Wow, that's crazy.

I just booked a trip that stops in YYZ on outbound and return. The stops are about hour and half each time, hoping I won't run into issues like this. It's towards the end of the summer so maybe travel will ease up by then.
Just finished this trip.

Wasn't nearly as bad as the OP's story. The outbound was a 1:40 layover which was reduced to an hour thanks to delayed aircraft. Ran through passport control/customs got to the gate just as they were boarding. Of course the bags didn't make it, was able to see that right away thanks to AirTags. Landed in YYC and went straight to baggage office to file a claim. The bags were delivered to Canmore (about 1:15 hr from YYC) early the next morning. Still had to do some shopping though, will need to fight with AC/Amex/Travel Insurance for the refund on what we bought.

On the return, the scheduled layover was 1:13 but was reduced to 45 minutes as we departed late. From when we stepped off the plane, we had 30 minutes to clear US passport/customs and security before they closed the doors. As we were running through the airport, I got an email that we were put on the next morning's flight. I think they did this proactively because they didn't think we'd make the connection. At passport control my Global Entry wasn't working. I recently got a new passport and this was my first time using Global Entry since I got it. I went to the Global Entry line even though I didn't have the slip. The agent claimed I hadn't updated my account with the new passport number which is why it didn't work. I know I did, so not sure why it didn't work. Anyway, we finally clear everything and make it to the gate 3 minutes before they close the doors. However, there's no gate agent anywhere to be found and they hadn't started boarding yet. I went to the help desk to have them put us back on the original flight. The agent was having a very difficult time with this. I was able to check, and they were still selling seats for the flight so I knew it shouldn't have been any issues with that part. After 20 minutes and the agent making multiple phone calls, she was able to get us back on the original flight.

We left about a half hour late, which worked to my benefit. Arrived in DTW and we went straight to the baggage office to file a claim for the delayed bags. Only issue is, AC doesn't have a baggage office in DTW. I asked around and was told I'll need to go to ticketing desk for help with the bags. It was late at night and nobody was there. We let the airport and called the baggage delay helpline to file a claim. The rep was very clearly stationed overseas and was not understanding what I was needing to do. Disconnected the call and decided I'll just go back the next morning to DTW airport and file a claim at the ticketing counter.

Get to the airport the next morning and there's nobody at the ticketing counter. The flight was canceled and the agents are only present if there's a flight around that time. I asked around the airport and was told which company AC has a contract with for manning the ticketing counter. I found a supervisor from that company, who told me they can't help me but the agents will be there shortly as there's a flight that leaves in 4.5 hours. After sticking around the ticketing counter I gave up and resented to having to call the baggage helpline again. This time I got a better agent and was finally able to get a claim filed.

Long story short, it wasn't really the fault of YYZ exclusively as the connection times were very short. I wish AC would've been better about the bags delay on the return though. 
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline db23

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: hilton diamond,bonvoy gold, hertz president circle
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2022, 01:42:56 PM »
any update on this airport? has it gotten any better? you think dropping the vax requirement will clear things up?

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2022, 05:01:36 PM »
any update on this airport? has it gotten any better? you think dropping the vax requirement will clear things up?

Flew into yyz earlier. Aside from a half hour wait on the tarmac to get to a gate, entry was smooth. Straight through to the immigration machine, entered passports and declaration and no further questions from the agents.
No arrivecan, vax/covid questions etc. Just the regular declarations.
Baggage came out, no issue.

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2022, 03:23:19 PM »
Flew into yyz earlier.

Leaving YYZ update -

8am-ish UA flight.
605am arrive, get boarding passes from agent, as app was making issues,
620 on security line (at ticketing counter they directed us out towards general security line but at entrance to AC/UA counters someone (security personnel? Agent?) said we can only go through the back where the Nexus/Global entry line was, security guard at nexus line was a bit frustrated but laughed it off as who knows who's telling people that and good luck finding them, and let us all in the nexus line).
6:55am past customs.
7:58 seated in plane.
8:15 pushed away from gate.
8:27am takeoff.

So YYZ seems to be much better than a few short months ago, anyone else with updated DP's on YYZ?

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 12:48:54 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here or in the toronto destination planning thread but apparently YYZ is offering an express lane for security if you book in advance.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-pearson-announces-new-program-to-curb-security-stalls-ahead-of-travel-surge

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/yyz-express

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here or in the toronto destination planning thread but apparently YYZ is offering an express lane for security if you book in advance.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-pearson-announces-new-program-to-curb-security-stalls-ahead-of-travel-surge

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/departures/yyz-express
Just saw this as well. Would love to hear from anyone who has used it…? Anyone see a similar service on other airports?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2022, 01:05:04 PM »
Just saw this as well. Would love to hear from anyone who has used it…? Anyone see a similar service on other airports?
I used something similar at YUL was a joke
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2023, 10:55:20 AM »
how early must i arrive at yyz for flight to usa? (no nexus no GE)
thanks

Offline Yehudaa

• View Profile

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline lafindumonde

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2023, 12:17:19 PM »
The Air Travelers Security Charge in Canada (CATSA) is set to increase by 33% on May 1, 2024.  For a flight departing Canada to the U.S. the fee will go to $16.89 CAD from $12.71 currently.  Compare that to the TSA fee of $5.60.  And in Canada, the fee differs depending on your destination.