Author Topic: Online/accelerated college programs for yeshiva students (in cyber security)  (Read 2165 times)

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
It looks like there are now a variety of ways/schools for frum yeshiva students to earn a bachelors degree fully online using yeshiva/seminary issued college credits (aside from a BTL which I believe is often less valued). I'm guessing COVID help accelerate this.

These include (1) Touro-online (2) FDU's business degree (3) YIEP through Bellevue (4) Naaleh/Woodmont college (5) Melamed Academy through Oak State and Thomas Edison. (Many of these have been advertising in the frum media in recent weeks).

I'm particularly interested in programs focused on Cyber Security, and wonder if anyone has had personal experience with the YIEP BS in cyber security program (or their program in another area).

I also came across some non-bachelors certificate programs in cyber security such as the one at www.cyberwisecourse.com (focused on the yeshiva student), the one at NJIT (this last one not having a cohort for yeshiva students).

Also wonder how these bachelors and certificate programs compare to just getting some of the relevant CompTia certifications in Cyber security which I understand are common/popular in the computer/IT industry.

Thanks!
P.s. If you are uncomfortable sharing experiences publicly, kindly PM me.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
I have experience with YIEP. It's Rabbi Pesach Lerner who used to be Executive Vice President of Young Israel, (he's now in involved in the Frum WZO campaign, the Eretz Hakoidesh platform and saving the Kosel).

Offline David61

• View Profile

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Is the cybersecurity field as attractive as it sounds?

https://fortune.com/education/business/articles/2022/07/08/graduates-with-a-masters-degree-in-cybersecurity-are-landing-starting-pay-of-214000-and-up/
They frame it misleadingly. They cite the median salary for UC Berkeley which is a top, top (computer) college, and then compare it to the general national median salaries of programmers etc.

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
anybody with experience or know someone that can recommend a cybersecurity course (and cost) for 18 year old bais midrash looking to complete course/degree on the side?

Offline Onefishtwofish

• View Profile
Yeip?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
Yeip?

personal experience or you know someone?

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
anybody with experience or know someone that can recommend a cybersecurity course (and cost) for 18 year old bais midrash looking to complete course/degree on the side?
Before suggesting one is there a specific reason for cyber security?
There are many options and since COVID online degrees can be as favorable as in-person. From my experience the best paying jobs are surrounding ssdlc, the Maryland program focuses on this and has working relationships with several fortunate 50 organizations.
The cost depends on how many credits can transfer over from yeshiva, how many cleps, ap classes the student has. Full cost for out of state is approximately 50k, average is probably 25k.

https://www.umgc.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/software-development-security

Offline yelped

• View Profile
There are many options and since COVID online degrees can be as favorable as in-person. From my experience the best paying jobs are surrounding ssdlc, the Maryland program focuses on this and has working relationships with several fortunate 50 organizations.
The cost depends on how many credits can transfer over from yeshiva, how many cleps, ap classes the student has. Full cost for out of state is approximately 50k, average is probably 25k.

25k is a lot for a program that can use fulfills most of its requirements with Yeshiva credits. YIEP can help with a lot of your questions. Cyber security has more to do with actual knowledge, experience, skills and certifications, more than with a college degree.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
25k is a lot for a program that can use fulfills most of its requirements with Yeshiva credits. YIEP can help with a lot of your questions. Cyber security has more to do with actual knowledge, experience, skills and certifications, more than with a college degree.

my question is for a first year full time bais midrash boy what program is good option that he can do on the side on his own time.
also which program will be lenient with the type of high school diploma

Offline davidd75

• View Profile

he thought cybersecurity is  a good field to go into and can complete course/program/ BA? in 2 years on his own time

Offline yelped

• View Profile
my question is for a first year full time bais midrash boy what program is good option that he can do on the side on his own time.
also which program will be lenient with the type of high school diploma
he thought cybersecurity is  a good field to go into and can complete course/program/ BA? in 2 years on his own time
YIEP is good program for the right person. I have worked with them in the past. In general you have to ask yourself if A. Is Cyber security the right fit for your son? B. Is a degree necessary?

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
I do agree that it is a lot, but it offers one course per term which should be very manageable. (The Maryland program focuses on programming, which is more adaptable for whatever one wants to do in the future) Also while cs is about what you know unless you have connections for a job, getting hired and at a livable salary can be difficult without a degree. Yeip looks like it would definitely be helpful for someone to decide on cs in general as well as guidance in how to get there.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
I do agree that it is a lot, but it offers one course per term which should be very manageable. (The Maryland program focuses on programming, which is more adaptable for whatever one wants to do in the future) Also while cs is about what you know unless you have connections for a job, getting hired and at a livable salary can be difficult without a degree. Yeip looks like it would definitely be helpful for someone to decide on cs in general as well as guidance in how to get there.
YIEP has other options, as well. They partner with Bellevue University.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
YIEP is good program for the right person. I have worked with them in the past. In general you have to ask yourself if A. Is Cyber security the right fit for your son? B. Is a degree necessary?

He wants cyber.  I always assumed better to get a degree if you are putting in the work anyway as you can use that degree to work for bigger corporations?
He wants to do it slowly on him time  and have online option.  so you still think YIEP would still be a good fit?  There is also PCS and TTI

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
if you PM, I can email you a PDF of one such company (israeli guys run it)

Offline davidd75

• View Profile

does YIEP make sense for bais midrash boy who wants to do this course on the side and online. He only  has a Lakewood high school diploma

Offline yelped

• View Profile
does YIEP make sense for bais midrash boy who wants to do this course on the side and online. He only  has a Lakewood high school diploma
PUTPAC.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
Re: Online/accelerated college programs for yeshiva students (in cyber security)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 12:24:47 PM »
For non-degree options is Cyberwise the top choice? any other options?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
Re: Online/accelerated college programs for yeshiva students (in cyber security)
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 10:45:54 AM »
anybody here took the Cyberwise course?