Author Topic: Fees waived and Compensation given  (Read 13029 times)

levi

Fees waived and Compensation given
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:31:25 PM »
Lets hear peoples experience with having either cc annual fees or modifing or cancelling airline reservations fees waived. 
Or on the other what type of compensation you recieved and what was is given for.

I personally had the Continental Chase $85 annual fee waived year after year
I have had the Starwood Amex $45 annual fee waived (too bad i cant use the card anymore)
I have the Amex Business Platinum as a secondary card holder I pay $75 annually and Primary pays $200 (b/c primamry is with Amex since 1975)

I had once that my Continental card got declined for absalutely no reason, They compensated me 5000 miles :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:04:08 PM by Levi »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Fees waived and Compensation given
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
How did they get AMEX to freeze the price for the platinum card? Mine goes up every year!
I usually get offers of 2,000-5,000 Starpoints for keeping the Starwood AMEX once the annual fee hits.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
Lets hear peoples experience with having either cc annual fees or modifing or cancelling airline reservations fees waived. 

Beware: When I activated my Chase Continental card I had a supervisor waive the fee, but it showed up anyway on the first statement. I still have not had time to call them back, but it's just something to look out for. Sometimes they say they will waive it but it never goes through.

Another word of advice: don't try calling the 800 number to sign up for the card and convince them that they should waive the fee. They will give you the runaround and more than likely not do it. Just call up after you are approved and get the card and have it waived then.
-Eli

levi

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
How did they get AMEX to freeze the price for the platinum card? Mine goes up every year!
I usually get offers of 2,000-5,000 Starpoints for keeping the Starwood AMEX once the annual fee hits.
I belive Amex cannot freez the annual fee but they apply a statement credit year after year, its in the notes in my account from a supervisor and all it takes it a quick phonecall
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 02:40:54 PM by Levi »

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
I received 3000 Starpoints on one card, and 1000 on another for not receiving the signup bonus on time.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

levi

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
Last year I booked 5 rooms at the Sheraton Haifa using points total 15,000  although i got upgraded on all 5 rooms I was not happy with the condition of the hotel I sent an email to the manager and got a reply that they will credit half of the points back to my account

levi

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:18:37 AM »
Dan, do you think in general a person has a better chance of having a fee waived or getting compensation by speaking with an agent that works the night shift of the day shift? One might say the day shift has more power on the other hand the night shift might not be so strict on the rules. Or is it all the same depending on their mood?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:38:03 AM »
Levi the night shift think defenitly works with AT&T if you call at night they'll give you what you want much faster , the call centers at night are in the south ,so... , about compensation I stayed in sheriton niagra booked three rooms $99 dollars a night for two nights after a little "talking"and a gold status I ended up getting 6,000 points, oh and I got all the rooms upgraded to suites , also got 10,000 on one starwoods card just for refering people and another two goodwill gestrures 5k and 3k not even sure why.. so ya I like starwoods

levi

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »
Levi the night shift think defenitly works with AT&T if you call at night they'll give you what you want much faster , the call centers at night are in the south ,so... , about compensation I stayed in sheriton niagra booked three rooms $99 dollars a night for two nights after a little "talking"and a gold status I ended up getting 6,000 points, oh and I got all the rooms upgraded to suites , also got 10,000 on one starwoods card just for refering people and another two goodwill gestrures 5k and 3k not even sure why.. so ya I like starwoods
How many people did you refer to get the 10,000 points?

Offline Daniel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
I got the Chase Continental Consumer card and easily got the $85 fee waived. A few months later I got the business card and tried to do the same thing and they gave me a tough time. It actually got to the point where I gave them the go ahead to close the account and she actually did it. 2 Seconds later I told her I changed my mind and I would call back later. I just figured I would pay the $85 for 20,000 miles- not a bad deal.

I just got my first statement and for some reason there's an $85 credit for the annual fee  :)

Gata Love It!

Has anyone tried to get a second Chase Continental consumer / business card and gotten the 20,000 again?
Or, can I put the credit-line from the consumer and put it on the business or visa-versa?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
How many people did you refer to get the 10,000 points?
they didnt ask for proof so i told them two thinking id have to prove it, now that i know i dont have to prove it i called and told them i referred  three more, they filed an investigation for another 15000 and theyll get back to me soon ill let you know what happens.

levi

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 05:07:18 PM »
they didnt ask for proof so i told them two thinking id have to prove it, now that i know i dont have to prove it i called and told them i referred  three more, they filed an investigation for another 15000 and theyll get back to me soon ill let you know what happens.
Hope it all works out for you

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »

You mean you just call them up and tell them you referred two friends and they give you points? cool.

levi

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
You mean you just call them up and tell them you referred two friends and they give you points? cool.
I doubt it i'm sure they due some research YMMV

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I called up amex about not getting my startpoints for the business amex, they said that it's a one time signup bonus, I told them that when I signed up I was told I'd get 10000 for each. I don't what happened but two weeks later I got the 10000 plus another 10000 totaling 30000 for signing up for only 2 cards. Neat.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
How to avoid the trip cancelation fee
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 02:15:13 AM »
I've been looking for a way to get out of the trip cancellation fee. With prices for cancellations fees going up (what inst going up..) this would be especially helpful.

One way I found to get out of trip cancellation fees is to book your ticket entirely on a credit card that covers trip cancellations, like the Citi AA World Mastercard. They say they give a refund in case of illness and some other circumstances.

Anyone having experience or ideas please share.

Offline yossik

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
Stayed at the Lemeridian,Dead Sea and room was extremely dirty.  i complained they upgraded me to a suite. When I called to complain, they said that they hadn't even deducted my starpoints and they'll also give me a credit of 3000 SP. :)

Offline Other Guy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 04:42:18 PM »
I've been looking for a way to get out of the trip cancellation fee. With prices for cancellations fees going up (what inst going up..) this would be especially helpful.

One way I found to get out of trip cancellation fees is to book your ticket entirely on a credit card that covers trip cancellations, like the Citi AA World Mastercard. They say they give a refund in case of illness and some other circumstances.

Anyone having experience or ideas please share.

I think this should probably be moved to a new topic.

levi

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
Why a new topic? I belive the topic is "fees waived" and getting out of a cancellation fee is, haveing a fee waived.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 07:36:08 PM »

I actually started this as a new topic but it was moved here.