Author Topic: Kashrus of Chabad Shluchim  (Read 29225 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Kashrus of Chabad Shluchim
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2022, 08:34:34 AM »
You do realize many non-Chabad don’t know this, so they have no way of knowing it’s sarcasm without the /s emoji or someone explaining.

I know, but I also know who I'm talking to  ;)
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2022, 08:35:54 AM »
**There is no central funding.

There is a central organization that declares someone a shliach or not.

Is there a way to know which are sanctioned?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »

Sanctioned for what?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2022, 08:43:22 AM »

If they're on chabad.org
https://www.chabad.org/jewish-centers/

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Kashrus of Chabad Shluchim
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2022, 08:44:19 AM »
Sanctioned for what?
(Sanction when used as a verb/adverb is one of those words that have 2 opposing meanings. English ftw.

"My mother sanctioned me to drive her car."

"Iran is sanctioned by the US.")

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2022, 08:45:35 AM »
Sanctioned for what?

I remember reading somewhere here about unofficial chabad houses

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2022, 08:46:14 AM »

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2022, 08:50:45 AM »
If they're on chabad.org
https://www.chabad.org/jewish-centers/

So does this threads discussion only apply to official houses?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2022, 09:12:04 AM »

So does this threads discussion only apply to official houses?
No.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2022, 09:14:00 AM »
@Yehuda57 Do you find your signature helps people read your posts with /s or no noticeable difference?

You do realize many non-Chabad don’t know this, so they have no way of knowing it’s sarcasm without the /s emoji or someone explaining.
I know I apologize, but to be fair, I was talking to Yehuda57, who definitely understood the /s in my post.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2022, 09:17:44 AM »
Bottom line, the legal trademark of Chabad is what the "central merkos office" aka Suite 302, can potentially control. BUT there are no standards the local shluchim have to adhere to PER SE once they go on shlichus.

But it's safe to make assumptions of their standards as they wouldn't be on shlichus without meeting them. Such as many listed in this thread.

And if a shliach or someone else reported on a rabbi that didn't keep halacha, I would imagine they wouldn't be on shlichus much longer, but I don't recall ever hearing a story like that.

Mind you, I've never been on shlichus so a shliach of which many are on here can speak to this more accurately than me.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
@Yehuda57 Do you find your signature helps people read your posts with /s or no noticeable difference?
I know I apologize, but to be fair, I was talking to Yehuda57, who definitely understood the /s in my post.

People with whose ability to discern sarcasm is poor might also struggle to make that inference from Y57’s signature.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2022, 10:11:03 AM »
Bottom line, the legal trademark of Chabad is what the "central merkos office" aka Suite 302, can potentially control. BUT there are no standards the local shluchim have to adhere to PER SE once they go on shlichus.

But it's safe to make assumptions of their standards as they wouldn't be on shlichus without meeting them. Such as many listed in this thread.

And if a shliach or someone else reported on a rabbi that didn't keep halacha, I would imagine they wouldn't be on shlichus much longer, but I don't recall ever hearing a story like that.

Mind you, I've never been on shlichus so a shliach of which many are on here can speak to this more accurately than me.

So now I'm confused. How does this apply to an unofficial house?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2022, 10:28:04 AM »

So now I'm confused. How does this apply to an unofficial house?
What are we applying?

Kashrus standards of people that make a life choice to go on shlichus? It would be no different if it's officially sanctioned with a trademark or not.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2022, 10:36:53 AM »
What are we applying?

Kashrus standards of people that make a life choice to go on shlichus? It would be no different if it's officially sanctioned with a trademark or not.

I guess I don't understand how it works. I assume the main office sends qualified people to places they see a need. Why would someone open an unofficial house without approval? If they see a need somewhere why can't they request approval?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2022, 10:42:02 AM »

I guess I don't understand how it works. I assume the main office sends qualified people to places they see a need. Why would someone open an unofficial house without approval? If they see a need somewhere why can't they request approval?

Do you want the big axe wielded here too?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
Why would someone open an unofficial house without approval?
I did. :D
#MushroomsFTW  ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »

The official umbrella organization that "sends out" Shluchim is called Merkos L'Inyonei Chinuch. Merkos appointed "head shluchim" for various regions. Rabbi Cunin runs California, Rabbi Korf Florida, etc. They hire Shluchim for the various mosdos and cities within their region. Those Shluchim can in turn hire Shluchim to run even more local centers or programs/mosdos within that Chabad House. Shliach oseh Shliach... Decisions about policies and protocols are made at a local level with local Rabonim, or other Rabonim can be brought in if needed to help with disputes. Each Chabad center is locally funded. So if you go to a small Chabad House in California, they aren't getting funding from Merkos or Rabbi Cunin.

Why would someone open an unofficial Chabad House? Plenty of reasons. An existing Shliach gets into a dispute with their "head Shliach" and instead of leaving, continues operating just without being recognized. Or they just couldn't be bothered to go the official route and want to run their own thing. Maybe they want to open a new place in an underserved area but couldn't work things out and decided to go ahead with it anyway.

As for how this applies to this thread: there is no official policy or protocols set out by Merkos for Shluchim to follow for their catering/restaurants/Chabad Houses. So it wouldn't make a difference if the Chabad House was sanctioned or not, it is the same question of whether or not you trust the guy.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2022, 11:56:56 AM »

Simply put the central office doesn't have that type of power. While it can be the case for locations without a current shliach, for example Antarctica. But a location that already has a shliach, they can't just send someone there.

So for example Hawaii doesn't have a shliach on Lanai, but if someone wanted to go there under Chabad trademark they'd need to get approval from the shliach in Honolulu, if they can't get approval, they can go open a shul themselves. That doesn't speak at all to their level of kashrus.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2022, 11:58:02 AM »
The official umbrella organization that "sends out" Shluchim is called Merkos L'Inyonei Chinuch. Merkos appointed "head shluchim" for various regions. Rabbi Cunin runs California, Rabbi Korf Florida, etc. They hire Shluchim for the various mosdos and cities within their region. Those Shluchim can in turn hire Shluchim to run even more local centers or programs/mosdos within that Chabad House. Shliach oseh Shliach... Decisions about policies and protocols are made at a local level with local Rabonim, or other Rabonim can be brought in if needed to help with disputes. Each Chabad center is locally funded. So if you go to a small Chabad House in California, they aren't getting funding from Merkos or Rabbi Cunin.

Why would someone open an unofficial Chabad House? Plenty of reasons. An existing Shliach gets into a dispute with their "head Shliach" and instead of leaving, continues operating just without being recognized. Or they just couldn't be bothered to go the official route and want to run their own thing. Maybe they want to open a new place in an underserved area but couldn't work things out and decided to go ahead with it anyway.

As for how this applies to this thread: there is no official policy or protocols set out by Merkos for Shluchim to follow for their catering/restaurants/Chabad Houses. So it wouldn't make a difference if the Chabad House was sanctioned or not, it is the same question of whether or not you trust the guy.

You had to type all this while I was typing!

Can we please add a member is typing feature in threads from now on. (I know you can see it here)

TIA @mods.