Author Topic: Where to buy tefillin in Jerusalem (or Israel)  (Read 1504 times)

Offline LAX_Esq

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Where to buy tefillin in Jerusalem (or Israel)
« on: August 01, 2022, 08:11:56 AM »
Hi. Where's a good place to buy tefillin? Looking for an established non-touristy place in Jerusalem (like in Mea Shearim or something, not on Ben Yehuda Street) or the outskirts where one can get a standard set of kosher tefillin (litvish/misnagdim, not chassidic) from an honest seller at a place that isn't looking to rip off non-Israelis. Thanks very much!

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy tefillin in Jerusalem (or Israel)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »
IINM, many American mochrim import tefiilin from Eretz Yisroel. That being the case, you may want to call a friendly American mocher and ask if he'll share with you the name of a trustworthy Israeli mocher.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:47:42 AM »
IINM, many American mochrim import tefiilin from Eretz Yisroel. That being the case, you may want to call a friendly American mocher and ask if he'll share with you the name of a trustworthy Israeli mocher.

Yup, a relative of mine manufactures batim in Israel and exports to the US, supplying several US-based Sta”m retail vendors that sell Finished tefillin sets.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline rbs-g1.5

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 08:47:49 AM »
Hi. Where's a good place to buy tefillin? Looking for an established non-touristy place in Jerusalem (like in Mea Shearim or something, not on Ben Yehuda Street) or the outskirts where one can get a standard set of kosher tefillin (litvish/misnagdim, not chassidic) from an honest seller at a place that isn't looking to rip off non-Israelis. Thanks very much!
standard set of kosher is a very flexible term. you should try to have an idea about how much you should need to spend before looking.
as a sofer that sells in somewhat of an "elite"kind of market i am not knowledgeable in the basic kosher market .HOWEVER , i am sometimes surprised at the prices in some judaica shops. Simply from knowing the amount of labor that goes in to writing the parshiyos ,making the battim and retzuos etc,along with the profit the store has to make ,it is hard to imagine how some of these items can possibly be kosher.
Aside from that ,its important to know that safrus prices have risen dramatically in the past few years ,so dont expect to pay what you did in the past if you want the same level of quality .
I dont know any personal information first hand ,but i have heard good things about a store called Hasofer which is located on Strauss right near Bikur Cholim Hospital.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:09:09 AM »

Chareidim only utilize certain baatim machers that are known to have the mesorah of tefillin making -- and usually one orders a tefillin set many many years prior to the bar mitzvah. A mechudar set can cost in the area of $2,500-$3,000 -- you should consult a competent Rov and not a public forum for recommendations.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:56 AM »
Chareidim only utilize certain baatim machers that are known to have the mesorah of tefillin making -- and usually one orders a tefillin set many many years prior to the bar mitzvah. A mechudar set can cost in the area of $2,500-$3,000 -- you should consult a competent Rov and not a public forum for recommendations.
Its true that some midakdikim order tefillin years in advance from certain special battim machers and sofrim ,i myself just payed 2800 dollars for a top notch set i ordered for a relative.that being said a mehudar set can also cost much less and it is not always necessary to order so in advance There is also a  big range of whats called mehudar.
What is done by a small group of midakdikim is very chashuv but certainly not what is usually done by "chareidim".While there is definitely plenty of garbage being sold ,it is not so hard for somebody  to get a good pair of mehudar tefillin and certainly "a standard kosher pair " one just needs the right address.

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
theres a fellow named reuven mendlowitz. american from bet shemesh. he wrote a sefer on stam and hes also a mocher. i dont know his number but im sure you could track it down.

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 01:27:39 PM »
theres a fellow named reuven mendlowitz. american from bet shemesh. he wrote a sefer on stam and hes also a mocher. i dont know his number but im sure you could track it down.

+1
There are two mochrim in the Mir area that I can recomend:
Rav Chaim Sperling and R' Ami Bower
Rav Sperling is a talmid of Rav Eliyashiv and is know as one of the top maagiim in EY today. Many sofrim bring him their shaaylos, and he is know to be very honest. You can find him in the bais horah fo rstam opposite bais menachem (Hanagar street) (Disclaimer: a rlative of mine is married to one of his children)
Last I checked R' Bower's office is above Zions Barber shop. He was learning hilchos stam as part of learning the stuff you need to know to be a rav when he was very perturb about what goes on in the world of stam, the trickiry and sheker... basiclly he's madeit his mission to do his best to help combat all that.
Both are american and speak english.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 01:43:36 PM »
LOL  i already pm'd him the number because i dont know if he would want it posted here.although he probably doesn't sell basic "standard kosher" things but im sure he can give solid advice.
+1
There are two mochrim in the Mir area that I can recomend:
Rav Chaim Sperling and R' Ami Bower
Rav Sperling is a talmid of Rav Eliyashiv and is know as one of the top maagiim in EY today. Many sofrim bring him their shaaylos, and he is know to be very honest. You can find him in the bais horah fo rstam opposite bais menachem (Hanagar street) (Disclaimer: a rlative of mine is married to one of his children)
Last I checked R' Bower's office is above Zions Barber shop. He was learning hilchos stam as part of learning the stuff you need to know to be a rav when he was very perturb about what goes on in the world of stam, the trickiry and sheker... basiclly he's madeit his mission to do his best to help combat all that.
Both are american and speak english

All true but i dont think either rabbi sperling or r' ami brauer are the address for someone who is looking for standard kosher.
But as a general rule i think we have covered here the top 3 places you should go to if you are looking for excellent sta"m

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:55:14 PM by rbs-g1.5 »

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 02:22:26 PM »
All true but i dont think either rabbi sperling or r' ami brauer are the address for someone who is looking for standard kosher.
But as a general rule i think we have covered here the top 3 places you should go to if you are looking for excellent sta"m

350 shekel (pre corona) for a mezuza from s/o who is not overcharging you is standard or excelent?
I may have no idea what standard is.

Offline rbs-g1.5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 04:28:22 PM »
350 shekel (pre corona) for a mezuza from s/o who is not overcharging you is standard or excelent?
I may have no idea what standard is.
first of all ,pre corona 350 shekel probably got you a very nice mehudar mezuza .These days that will get you kosher.
Standard dependes on the context.A standard mezuza purchased by a ben torah that is looking to be midakdek bemitzvos and therefore is looking for a mehudar mezuza by r' ami and  r' sperling means one thing.and the standard of someone looking for a good non touristy place to buy standard kosher tefillin probably means something else.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 09:59:09 PM »
I bought a pair from HaSOFER back in 2018. They were very helpful and then at least they charged 500 usd but gave me 150 off for paying cash. The straps didn't hold up super well over 5 years but the tefilin have.