Author Topic: Is my username offensive?  (Read 8460 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Is my username offensive?
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2022, 11:11:58 PM »
Source? I found the "kabbalah" connection, but nothing about the anti-semitic origins (or even use)
What? You didn't find anything about the Jewish Cabal??? "Protocols of the Elders of Zion".

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2022, 11:16:26 PM »
What? You didn't find anything about the Jewish Cabal??? "Protocols of the Elders of Zion".

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Discussing the origins of the word "cabal" being based on "kabbalah", not whether the word has ever been used in reference to Jews.
Visibly Jewish

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2022, 11:18:03 PM »
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Discussing the origins of the word "cabal" being based on "kabbalah", not whether the word has ever been used in reference to Jews.
You wrote that you didn't find a source for the anti-Semitic use of the word 'cabal'.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2022, 11:25:53 PM »
You wrote that you didn't find a source for the anti-Semitic use of the word 'cabal'.

Read again-

Source? I found the "kabbalah" connection, but nothing about the anti-semitic origins (or even use)

I didn't find "kabbalah" originally used in a negative manner, and certainly not in reference to a Jewish cabal.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2022, 11:40:32 PM »

Let me make this clearer.

"Kabbalah" is known as both mystical and secret. Later on it evolved into the word "cabal". And later on the word "cabal" evolved into meaning a secret and powerful small group. And even later on, the word "cabal" was used by antisemites attacking the "Jewish cabal".

So no, that doesn't mean that the word "kabbalah", or even the word "cabal" was invented to describe a "secret powerful Jewish group".
Visibly Jewish

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2022, 11:57:55 PM »
OT, I recently learned that the word 'cabal' is antisemitic in origin.

Were these 5 Jewish?

Cabal (act. 1667–1673), politicians, comprised five individuals prominent in the councils of Charles II. These were Thomas Clifford, first Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, Anthony Ashley Cooper, first earl of Shaftesbury, George Villiers, second duke of Buckingham, Henry Bennet, first earl of Arlington, and John Maitland, duke of Lauderdale.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2022, 12:18:10 AM »
Let me make this clearer.

"Kabbalah" is known as both mystical and secret. Later on it evolved into the word "cabal". And later on the word "cabal" evolved into meaning a secret and powerful small group. And even later on, the word "cabal" was used by antisemites attacking the "Jewish cabal".

So no, that doesn't mean that the word "kabbalah", or even the word "cabal" was invented to describe a "secret powerful Jewish group".

I hear. I was referring to what you wrote regarding the use.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2022, 04:56:30 PM »

Why do you think the word cabal ever had any neutral meaning?

I think the fact that the word for the pious study of the hidden secrets of the Torah inspired the word for a secret group plotting to control the world is evidence enough of antisemitism.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2022, 06:42:43 PM »
OT, I recently learned that the word 'cabal' is antisemitic in origin. Based off the word "Kabbalah" with connotations of secret groups plotting to control the world through unnatural/mystical means.

Why do you think the word cabal ever had any neutral meaning?

I think the fact that the word for the pious study of the hidden secrets of the Torah inspired the word for a secret group plotting to control the world is evidence enough of antisemitism.

Let me get this straight. It must be antisemitic because why would it not be antisemitic?
Visibly Jewish

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2022, 06:48:07 PM »
Let me get this straight. It must be antisemitic because why would it not be antisemitic?

I understood that wayfe meant that people's usage of cabal from kabbala to refer to insidious clandestine meetings infers its anti-Semitic origin.

To me it seems cabal just meant secret group meeting based on kabbala's "secret" transmission process and only got its negative connotations from the English cabinet in the 1600's, so not anti-Semitic origins, and used anti-Semitically in the "Jewish Cabal" Protocols sense.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »
I understood that wayfe meant that people's usage of cabal from kabbala to refer to insidious clandestine meetings infers its anti-Semitic origin.

To me it seems cabal just meant secret group meeting based on kabbala's "secret" transmission process and only got its negative connotations from the English cabinet in the 1600's, so not anti-Semitic origins, and used anti-Semitically in the "Jewish Cabal" Protocols sense.

The word never had a neutral meaning. Its first use outside of its Hebrew origin already painted the picture of a scheming, secret group. Emphasis on the 'scheming', as much as the 'secret'.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/Cabal

The English cabinet acronym story is cute, but probably not factual.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/7-false-etymologies/cabal

That is not what I said.

In my mind, taking a Jewish word and twisting it to create a new word with an insidious meaning, all while playing into (or possibly even inventing) a common antisemitic Jewish trope is a clear illustration of the word's antisemitic intent.

If you need an official ADL declaration to make you see it, I can't help you.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2022, 09:02:00 PM »
If you like the nitty-gritty:

Google translate screenshots of a page on the etymology of the word 'cabale' (French origin of the English word 'cabal') in French.
https://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/cabale

To be clear the emphasis is not mine (aside for the highlight in the 3rd screenshot).

Here is the direct relationship to the Hebrew word קבלה:

As soon as the word evolves, there is a negative, scheming, plotting connotation:

— Richard Feynman

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2022, 09:02:26 PM »
The word never had a neutral meaning. Its first use outside of its Hebrew origin already painted the picture of a scheming, secret group. Emphasis on the 'scheming', as much as the 'secret'.

Which link is proving which statement? The links you provided seem to have a gap between kabbala=cabal and then cabal=insidious plotters.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/7-false-etymologies/cabal cabal in english from the 16th century and plotting in mid 17th:

However, cabal is not an acronym; it comes from the Late Hebrew qabbālāh, meaning “received (lore),” and has been in use in English since the 16th century, well before Charles II came to the throne. The initial meaning of the word was concerned with Jewish interpretation of the Old Testament, and the sense relating to plotters emerged in the middle of the 17th century.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/Cabal sinister connotations from the myth, whether true or not it's a step removed from kabbala:
1520s, "mystical interpretation of the Old Testament," later "an intriguing society, a small group meeting privately" (1660s), from French cabal, which had both senses, from Medieval Latin cabbala (see cabbala). Popularized in English 1673 as an acronym for five intriguing ministers of Charles II (Clifford, Arlington, Buckingham, Ashley, and Lauderdale), which gave the word its sinister connotations.

The link I originally posted attributes it to English politics, not antisemitism.
https://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-93697:

The association of all five as a single administration or ministry called the Cabal is inaccurate, but it is rooted in the realities of Restoration politics and the myth-making of historians.

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2022, 09:06:47 PM »
@dm123

The English word evolved from French, which included both meanings (Kabbalah & conniving secret group)

Usage in English and whatever relation to British govt. comes later.

And from https://www.etymonline.com/word/Cabal
1520s, "mystical interpretation of the Old Testament," later "an intriguing society, a small group meeting privately" (1660s), from French cabal, which had both senses, from Medieval Latin cabbala (see cabbala). Popularized in English 1673 as an acronym for five intriguing ministers of Charles II (Clifford, Arlington, Buckingham, Ashley, and Lauderdale), which gave the word its sinister connotations.
"An intriguing society, a small group meeting privately" does not mean a secret sourdough baker's club.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:10:42 PM by wayfe »
— Richard Feynman

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:31 PM »

That is not what I said.

In my mind, taking a Jewish word and twisting it to create a new word with an insidious meaning, all while playing into (or possibly even inventing) a common antisemitic Jewish trope is a clear illustration of the word's antisemitic intent.

If you need an official ADL declaration to make you see it, I can't help you.

I don’t need an official ADL declaration, however the AJC explicitly says it’s not antisemitic in origin https://www.ajc.org/translatehate/cabal

What would be nice though, is if either of the links you provided mentions anything that you purported it to. But in fact they both claim that the word evolved over time, and well before the Jewish cabal was a thing.

And yes, the English ministers popularizing the cabal is a well established fact, which may explain why every reputable site mentions it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabal_ministry
Visibly Jewish

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2022, 09:14:04 PM »
But in fact they both claim that the word evolved over time, and well before the Jewish cabal was a thing.

How do you know when exactly the trope emerged?

Regardless, every single source says that the English 'cabal' originated from the French 'cabale'.
— Richard Feynman

Offline dm123

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2022, 09:15:10 PM »
@dm123

The English word evolved from French, which included both meanings (Kabbalah & conniving secret group)

Usage in English and whatever relation to British govt. comes later.

Check the dates on the link you posted above.

In French it meant "secret maneuvers" (doesn't necessarily seem inherently devious to me) in 1546.
ETYMOL. AND HIST. − 1. 1532 “doctrine, transmitted tradition” ( Rabelais , Pantagruel, Prologue, ed. Marty-Laveaux, t. 1, p. 215); 1611 to own "Jewish interpretation of the OT" ( Cotgr. ); 2. 1546 "occult science" ( Palmerin d'Olive, 39b after Vaganay in Rom. Forsch., t. 32, p. 21); 3. 1546 “secret manoeuvres” ( Rabelais , Tiers Livre, ed. Marty-Laveaux, t. 2, p. 78: monastic cabal ). Empr. to Hebrew. qabbāla “received tradition, esoteric doctrine”, from the verb qibbel “to receive by tradition” (v.Devic ).

The earliest sinister usage in French on the link you posted is 1830, well after the Restoration Era usage would have taken hold and migrated to France:
II.− [P. ref. to the secrecy that surrounds the speculations of those who devote themselves to this form of occultism] Secret intrigue hatched against someone, to affect him in his reputation, his actions or his works. The first thing that is organized (...) are discords, jealousies, intrigues, cabals of all kinds ( Fourier , Le Nouv. monde industr., 1830 , p. 26):

ETA: the etymonline link says the "intriguing" (if that indeed means nefarious, I'm not convinced) use (1660's) was over a century after the Kabbala use (1520's).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:20:25 PM by dm123 »

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2022, 09:32:56 PM »
In short, OP's name isn't offensive unless you're not Jewish, so to satisfy the woke masses, he should change his name to PonderingCabalite.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2022, 10:01:13 PM »
Who was the group that complained about the name? You think it was non-Jews?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »
Who was the group that complained about the name? You think it was non-Jews?

99.99% likely not Jewish.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.