Author Topic: Award tickets on Turkish with United miles  (Read 1054 times)

Offline ebannett

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Award tickets on Turkish with United miles
« on: August 03, 2022, 04:50:02 AM »
Did Turkish Air stopped accepting United miles for award tickets?

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Award tickets on Turkish with United miles
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 10:40:49 PM »
Did Turkish Air stopped accepting United miles for award tickets?

why think this?

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 03:50:29 PM »
There is an issue I've observed for a couple of years where TK award inventory doesn't show up on partner airlines for an entire month for random routes even though TK themselves has plenty of availability. I surmise it's an IT issue because it's always for exactly a month and it's for random routes which wouldn't make sense for a general blackout/seat block, for example all IAD-IST flights are blocked but not JFK-IST flights. It's always precise by the month, i.e. lots of seats every day the previous month until the last day, then not a single seat on that route any day in the "missing" month, then plenty of seats the next month.

I made a decent effort to find someone at United or TK to talk to about this, but they have their IT teams sequestered well and it's much easier for them to simply say there are no seats available rather than spend any time investigating the problem. Hopefully at some point in the next decade they upgrade whatever system has a bug for some other reason and it fixes it, but not holding my breath.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
There is an issue I've observed for a couple of years where TK award inventory doesn't show up on partner airlines for an entire month for random routes even though TK themselves has plenty of availability. I surmise it's an IT issue because it's always for exactly a month and it's for random routes which wouldn't make sense for a general blackout/seat block, for example all IAD-IST flights are blocked but not JFK-IST flights. It's always precise by the month, i.e. lots of seats every day the previous month until the last day, then not a single seat on that route any day in the "missing" month, then plenty of seats the next month.

I made a decent effort to find someone at United or TK to talk to about this, but they have their IT teams sequestered well and it's much easier for them to simply say there are no seats available rather than spend any time investigating the problem. Hopefully at some point in the next decade they upgrade whatever system has a bug for some other reason and it fixes it, but not holding my breath.
Every airline has availability that they reserve for themselves

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 08:32:31 AM »
Every airline has availability that they reserve for themselves
Yeah, I've been doing this miles thing for a couple minutes now and am well aware of that. This is a much different thing for the reasons I detailed in my post. There are literally 0 seats available on some TK routes for exactly a month even many months out, while there are plenty of seats literaly the day before that month and the day after and on almost identical routes. And we're talking odd months too, like nothing in Nov but plenty in Oct and Dec on routes that aren't busy at all. It makes no sense from a capacity blocking perspective, but perfect sense from a software glitch perspective which is almost certainly what it is.