Author Topic: Portable freezer recommendations  (Read 3664 times)

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Portable freezer recommendations
« on: August 07, 2022, 10:22:32 PM »
Looking for some recs for a portable freezer to take on camping trip, need something that “locks “ so that I can check it on flight and then something with built in battery or can connect to car/ battery pack to keep meats and food frozen for a 5 day trip out west. Any recommendations?
Not looking to spend on the insanely kitted out ones but will spend a little for something more decent

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Portable freezer recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 10:56:22 PM »
Might not be what you're looking for but I've used a cooler picked up from Walmart with ice. Kept everything frozen solid.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 11:02:29 PM »
Might not be what you're looking for but I've used a cooler picked up from Walmart with ice. Kept everything frozen solid.
wont last 5 days and transferring  meat and hoping the hotel has a freezer is not my first choice
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:10:22 PM by Abey »

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 11:17:55 PM »
wont last 5 days and transferring  meat and hoping the hotel has a freezer is not my first choice
Will last as long you can put in fresh ice.

Successfully did this for longer than 5 days.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 11:26:29 PM »
Will last as long you can put in fresh ice.

Successfully did this for longer than 5 days.

This should be easy. Most hotels have an ice machine and even if they don't it is easy to find at gas stations.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 11:29:29 PM »
This should be easy. Most hotels have an ice machine and even if they don't it is easy to find at gas stations.
Its def workable but messy and not ideal, looking for someone with a recommendation for an electric freezer…

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 11:47:14 PM »
Its def workable but messy and not ideal, looking for someone with a recommendation for an electric freezer…
I've looked into this, but I decided against it.  I'm curious what you're trying to keep frozen. Pom meals that are best not defrosted for days, or meat that might be fine in fridge temps.  If OK to defrost, consider an electric cooler, which can be plugged in at your destination and won't require messy ice.  If you really want it all frozen, first, check with the hotel if your room will have one, and if not ask if they have room in their own freezer. If not, another idea would be freezing it all solid before you leave and ordering a regular mini freezer to be picked up at a nearby Walmart.
44/50, 46/63

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 11:54:35 PM »
Hotel ice machine ice isn't as cold as bags from a store/gas station.
That being said, if the meat is deep frozen it should be fine for 5 days as long as it is kept cold

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 12:27:14 AM »
with all the ice and meat was still under 50 pounds ? What size

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 12:42:47 AM »
@Abey it's hard to give you recommendations as your needs aren't clear.

You mention camping, a car battery, and a hotel. These have very different challenges and solutions. You're not saying what exactly you need to keep cold, and I'm not clear if you specifically need frozen or not.

Please clarify these points and I'm sure we can figure it out. I've kept food for 20 people ice cold for 10 days in 90-degree Africa with only a few day's access to a small freezer and a little bit of ingenuity. Everything is doable if you know exactly what it is you're trying to do.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 12:51:11 AM »
@Abey it's hard to give you recommendations as your needs aren't clear.

You mention camping, a car battery, and a hotel. These have very different challenges and solutions. You're not saying what exactly you need to keep cold, and I'm not clear if you specifically need frozen or not.

Please clarify these points and I'm sure we can figure it out. I've kept food for 20 people ice cold for 10 days in 90-degree Africa with only a few day's access to a small freezer and a little bit of ingenuity. Everything is doable if you know exactly what it is you're trying to do.
Thanks for trying to help. Planning a YNP and GTNP trip.I will be taking raw frozen meat, and some dairy. I will have access to hotel ice but since we will be moving from hotel to hotel (no camping) I like the portable freezer option where I can just plug and go wherever we spend the night.
A standard cooler should work but the dripping water doesn’t excite me…

If I do go cooler what size do you recommend for a couple on a 1 week trip ? Obviously trying to keep it below 50 pounds for check in luggage.

Thanks again!

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 12:54:56 AM »
Sounds to me like a standard Polar Bear 48 cooler would do the job perfectly. Freeze the meat for at least a week and it'll stay frozen for days. If you're worried about opening the cooler too often, fill it up with ice when you begin taking food out - even if it thaws it'll stay plenty cold.

Dripping water is not an issue with a PB, anything wet stays inside. Once a day open the zipper an inch or two and tip it so that any meltwater runs out.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 12:55:37 AM »
Also I've never been able to get a PB to weigh more than 38 pounds, no matter how hard I try.

Offline Abey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 01:03:21 AM »
Sounds to me like a standard Polar Bear 48 cooler would do the job perfectly. Freeze the meat for at least a week and it'll stay frozen for days. If you're worried about opening the cooler too often, fill it up with ice when you begin taking food out - even if it thaws it'll stay plenty cold.

Dripping water is not an issue with a PB, anything wet stays inside. Once a day open the zipper an inch or two and tip it so that any meltwater runs out.
are these as cold as the roller coolers  ? It will stay in a car with temps possibly in the high 90,s

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 01:19:32 AM »
I don't use roller coolers but PBs will keep your stuff cold in 90 degrees no problem.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 08:12:29 AM »
Thanks for trying to help. Planning a YNP and GTNP trip.I will be taking raw frozen meat, and some dairy. I will have access to hotel ice but since we will be moving from hotel to hotel (no camping) I like the portable freezer option where I can just plug and go wherever we spend the night.
A standard cooler should work but the dripping water doesn’t excite me…

If I do go cooler what size do you recommend for a couple on a 1 week trip ? Obviously trying to keep it below 50 pounds for check in luggage.

Thanks again!
Done this exact trip with a roller cooler. Here is what I did. I froze every single dairy and meat item that I took for a few days. I also froze several water bottles as well. Loaded everything put in a few water bottles until it got close to 50 lbs. I then used two luggage straps to secure the lid stays perfectly closed in the plane. It worked like a charm. Zero liquid even after a day or 2. The water bottles contain the melted water. After day 2 loaded up on ice once or twice. Used the bottom drain in hotel bath tub. Basically completely mess free.

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 09:24:06 AM »
My friend has something like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coleman-40-Qt-Thermoelectric-Cooler-with-120-Volt-Adapter-3000004321/206851528

It keeps the food cold. However they don’t recommend checking it in as luggage cuz it would get smashed up. But maybe if you keep it in the box with all the padding it would be ok to check in.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »

+1, not a big deal.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 09:40:32 AM »
Also I've never been able to get a PB to weigh more than 38 pounds, no matter how hard I try.
Fill it with hot water in a tub to expand it. Got to 50 pounds on POM meals and deli no problem.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
Looking for some recs for a portable freezer to take on camping trip, need something that “locks “ so that I can check it on flight and then something with built in battery or can connect to car/ battery pack to keep meats and food frozen for a 5 day trip out west. Any recommendations?
Not looking to spend on the insanely kitted out ones but will spend a little for something more decent

not answering your question but there is beef jerky and other such products that can last out of a fridge. check your local supermarket/specialty butcher store for more options. Might not be as tasty as freshly grilled steaks but may make things easier towards the 4-5 day.