Author Topic: 2 Weeks in Thailand, 1 Day in Dubai Honeymoon by @CoffeeBean  (Read 7331 times)

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
2 Weeks in Thailand, 1 Day in Dubai Honeymoon by @CoffeeBean
« on: August 17, 2022, 09:55:21 AM »
Before I start, I would like to thank @Dan and DDF community for making my dream honeymoon possible. Also, a huge shout out to @Moishebatchy whom I met at the Jerusalem DO. He took his precious time out of his day, and relieved my anxiety by answering any stupid questions I may have had before and during my trip.

Please keep in mind I like talking about costs because I know deep down that what members want to hear, so I'll try to add it in as much as possible. I will be your converter from Thai Baht to USD.

Ok, here we go...

Flights:
Price reflects per person
TLV-AUH-BKK: Ethiad 49,380 AC.
BKK-CNX: Air Asia $69.48 Cash.
CNX-BKK-USM: Thai Airways 5,490 Amex Portal, Bangkok Airways $93.60 Cash.
USM-HKT: Bangkok Airways 9.5K AF.
HKT-SIN-DXB: Singapore Airlines 25K KF plus $29.06 Cash.
DXB-TLV: Elal 19,115 minus 35% credit Amex Portal turned into Elal Voucher.

Hotels:
Park Hyatt Bangkok: 20K Hyatt (1 Night).
Le Meriden Chiang Mai: 5 × 35K Marriott certificates plus 5 × SNU.
Conrad Koh Samui: 2 × Hilton Certificate paid $250 each.
Cape Fahn Koh Samui: 34K Hyatt (2 Nights).
Diamond Cliff Phuket: $278 Cash (2 Nights).
Hyatt Regency Phuket: 12K Hyatt (1 Night).
Keemala Phuket: 55k Hyatt (2 Nights).
Park Hyatt Dubai: 17k Hyatt (1 Night).

Packing and Covid Test:
Since there are Chabads close by in every part of our trip, food wasn't going to be much of a dilemma. A few days before our trip, we did a food shopping which consisted of lots of snack, wraps, 3 cartons of milk, and some deli. 2 days before our trip we took a PCR Test at Ichud Hatzolah since Thailand requires to either be fully vaccinated or have a negative PCR taken 72 hours prior.

Getting there:
I can't recall when and how I realized, but I found out that even though on AC the flight was stated as TLV-AUH-BKK, there was still a 45 minute layover in HKT.
We left our apartment in Jerusalem bright and early 5 hours before our flight due to the extreme waiting time in TLV. Upon arrival in TLV, we realized that the pre security line for foreign passports was not that long at all. It took us about 25 minutes to get through. Now, we are about 4 hours before departure, never in my life did I have to wait for check in to open. We did have to bring our bags through oversized luggage due to it being duffle bags. After about a 30 minute wait at security, we headed to the Dan Lounge, and then boarded our flight.
Stopover in AUH: Our stopover was about 6 hours. I tried convincing Ethiad agents in Abu Dhabi to put us on an earlier flight which was going straight to BKK, and 2 hours earlier, I fealt like I was speaking to a wall, oh well. We then toured the airport, went to the lounge, ate, showered, and boarded our plane.

TLV

AUH

AUH

Al Dhabi Lounge, AUH

Halal Cholent, Al Dhabi Lounge, AUH

Ethiad Airways

Day 1 Bangkok:
On the way out of the airport I exchanged $40 for taxi and phone service. We then stopped at the AIS phone booth picked up a 15 day 35GB sim for about $16, then ordered a taxi through the Bolt App for about $10 to the Park Hyatt. At check in I was upgraded to the Park Executive Suite as a Globalist, but since the room wasn't ready they gave us a regular room for about an hour just to rest. We then ordered food from JCafe and they delivered fresh pizza, chummus, and hashbrowns all for about $20. Just an elevator down from the Park Hyatt there's a massive really cool mall with countess floors which we spent some time. I got to exchange some cash in the mall since they had a good rate.

Taxi from BKK

View from Park Hyatt Lobby

Chabad Bangkok, Lunch

Executive Suite, Park Hyatt

It's the thought that counts, Park Hyatt

Day 2 Bangkok/Chiang Mai:
Aside for an elevator down to the mall, an elevator up to the roof for a view, and a quick swim in their gorgeous infinity pool we didn't really do anything in Bangkok. We then departed to BKK through and flew up to Chiang Mai, checked in to the Executive Suite in Le Meriden, and walked to Chabad for dinner.

Empty Pool Area, Park Hyatt

Embassy Mall, downstairs from Park Hyatt

Embassy Mall, downstairs from Park Hyatt

Lobby, Le Meriden

Executive Suite, Le Meriden

Chabad, Chiang Mai

Day 3 Chiang Mai:
Today's adventure was pretty much all booked through Yisrael we paid $55 for a full day driver. At 9am our van picked us up, we drove to Tiger Kingdom about 45 minute drive from Le Meriden. It was a fascinating experience, imagine literally lying down and hugging a tiger! We then went to a Monkey show about 5 minutes away which was ok, but a bit boring (we were the only ones there). We then spent some time Mae Sa Waterfall also about 5 minutes away. Then we headed to Smart Elephant camp which was an unbelievable experience. We got to feed, swim, and bath the elephants. We then drove to Sticky Waterfalls about a 40 minute drive from Smart Elephant Camp and experienced walking up and down the waterfall. After we got dropped off at hotel, we stopped off at New Moda Custom Tailors to pick out fabrics and get measured. We end up both getting the same fabric for a suit and dress which costed a bit over $300. We then walked to Chabad for dinner.

Our van for the day

Reclining seats with lots of legroom

Bikes everywhere

Tiger Kingdom, Entrance

Tiger Encounter, Tiger Kingdom

Monkey Show

Chill, I'm married

Monkey Show

Mae Sa Waterfall

Smart Elephant Camp

Smart Elephant Camp

Smart Elephant Camp

Smart Elephant Camp

Chabad actually makes really good food

Pad Thai, Local dish

Day 4 Chiang Mai (Friday):
My wife went for a complimentary facial massage in the hotel while I chilled at the pool, we then walked to Aiyaret Massage located just before Chabad, and experienced and amazing 1 hour massage for about $9. We then went back to New Moda for our 2nd fitting. Friday night at Chabad was amazing there were about 100 Israelis and a handful of Americans. Le Meriden was very accommodating with sending up elevators and opening our door on Shabbos, seems like they have everything down pat.

Pool Area, Le Meriden

Aiyaret Massage

Aiyaret Massage

New Moda Custom Clothing

Day 5 Chiang Mai (Shabbos):
I guess now is good time to express my appreciation to Chabad, for shabbos they don't charge anything and each week 100s of frum and not frum jews get to enjoy a meal together arranged by 1 Rabbi. Motzei Shabbos we had our 3rd fitting at New Moda, we then took a tuktuk to Saturday Night Market, experienced a 30 minute foot massage for about $3, and bought some silk scarfs and fruit.

View from the back of our Tuk Tuk

Saturday Night Market

Saturday Night Market

Day 6 Chiang Mai (יז תמוז): I only remembered about the fast day after I booked flights, I wasn't going to let that ruin me, maybe I would have went to Dui Inthanon or do some other activity, but it wasn't a big deal for me. Today, we relaxed, picked up our custom clothing which actually came out really nice, broke my fast at Chabad, then took a tuktuk to Sunday Night Market.

Suit, Final Product

Suit and Dress, Final Product

Evening Breakfast

Evening Breakfast

Tuk Tuk View

Sunday Night Market

Day 7 Chiang Mai/Koh Samui: We checked out of Le Meriden, left our luggage behind, and went for another massage at Aiyaret, went back to hotel and took a taxi to CNX. Personally, I would have loved to avoid the BKK stopover, but it did save me a couple 100 USD, so we flew to BKK, I had Chabad Bangkok deliver lunch to arrivals which we ate at the Coral Lounge. Arrival at Koh Samui was a bit interesting, it seemed like there was only 1 taxi service departing the airport. Bolt App didn't work, and when I tried Grab the driver texted me that the taxi at airport is a mafia company and they won't allow her in, so I had to cancel and pay about $32 for the Airport taxi to the Conrad. We checked into our upgraded 5 Island Pool Vila, and what can I say, the hotel and service was fantastic.

Aiyaret Massage

Bangkok Chabad Delivery

Bangkok Chabad Delivery

BKK

Airport Transfer, USM

Coconut Water at check in, Conrad

Golf cart to our Villa

5 Island Pool Villa, Conrad

Monogrammed Teddy Bears

Day 8-17 coming up in part 2...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 10:04:29 AM by coffeebean »

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
Re: 2 Weeks in Thailand, 1 Day in Dubai Honeymoon by @CoffeeBean
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 10:15:44 AM »
Great TR - Thanks for taking the time

I guess now is good time to express my appreciation to Chabad, for shabbos they don't charge anything and each week 100s of frum and not frum jews get to enjoy a meal togethe
FWIW donations are very much welcomed  :)

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
Great TR - Thanks for taking the time
FWIW donations are very much welcomed  :)
Yep, they deserve it. Still impressed that they don't ask for money. I guess it's a good method to get in the non-frum Israelis.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 11:18:23 AM »
Yep, they deserve it. Still impressed that they don't ask for money. I guess it's a good method to get in the non-frum Israelis.
Absolutely. They are doing an incredible job
For what it's worth, I ate by them Friday night in BKK 12 years ago for free, and keep on giving them money rather frequently, because I like what they are doing  :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 11:40:21 AM by tavster »

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
...Continued Part 2:
Day 8 Koh Samui: Now is when we get to experience the views, pictures won't do justice. The Conrad actually picked up breakfast from Chabad (about a 45 minute drive) and delivered it to our room for free since the hotel was booked under a Diamond account. We went kayaking, chilled at the pool, hammock, etc. and just relaxed. Surprisingly, the hotel was able to arrange a pick up from Chabad for dinner.

Morning View from our villa

Public Pool, Conrad

Kayaking, Conrad

More Villa Views

Day 9 Koh Samui: Unfortunately, we had to change hotels due to availability. We took a taxi for about a 40 minute drive North to Cape Fahn, another gorgeous hotel. This was actually pretty cool, since the hotel is situated on a small island, they had a tractor transporting passangers over a couple feet of water during low tide, and a small boat for transport during high tide. The head chef actually greeted us at check in to try to accommodate our kosher standards, but it's not like anything can be done. This time I had to pay for Chabad to deliver, but later that night I met the chef again and told her I had Chabad deliver, she then insisted to have Hotel pick up breakfast and dinner the next 2 days which was nice.

Taking in the last Villa View

Beach, Conrad

Lobby, Conrad

Island Transfer, Cape Fahn

Entrance to Lobby, Cape Fahn

Coconut Water at check in, Cape Fahn

It's the thought that counts, Cape Fahn

Deluxe Pool Villa, Cape Fahn

It's the thought that counts, Cape Fahn

Day 10 Koh Samui: We spent most most of our day relaxing, I actually took out a jetski that hotel recommended. The jetski rental is located at the public beach right outside the island cost was about $40 for 30 minutes.

Resort View, Cape Fahn

Resort View, Cape Fahn

Today's Activity

Day 11 Koh Samui/Phuket (Friday): We checked out of Cape Fahn and headed to USM. The airport was an experience itself. Most of the airport is outdoors, and by the gate there's a garden with a swing which you can watch takeoff and landing from a pretty close distance. Once we arrived in HKT we ordered at Taxi through Bolt, and made our way to The Diamond Cliff. I booked the best room available which was the Diamond Jacuzzi Suite. Honestly, it's an OK hotel but I wouldn't recommend it if you're walking to Chabad on Shabbos. The Resort is pretty spread out on a hill so there was plenty of walking maybe a little too much. Friday night was really nice, I wasn't expecting so many people, they had the meals on 2 floors. If I had to put an estimate there must have been 250 Israelis and about 50 foreigners. All in all great job chabad for arranging.

Runway View, USM

Good Bye Koh Samui

Lobby, Diamond Cliff

Day 12 Phuket (Shabbos): I loved every minute of my time with Chabad. I loved how frum, not frum, Israeli, non Israel, all get together and enjoy Shabbos. Not to mention the amount of time, effort, and money which goes in every single week. It's an experience I think everyone can enjoy.

Day 13 Phuket/Phi Phi Islands: Today's adventure was booked through Klook. They seemed like they had good reviews and great pricing. I paid $40 per person for a full day Phi Phi Island tour which included hotel pick up and drop off. We woke up at about 7am, packed our bags and left them with hotel for later on. We then got picked up at about 7:45am and made our way to the Marina. At the Marina they served fruit and drinks. They then collected about $12 for Park enterence fee and about 9am we departed to Maya Bay on a Speed Boat. After an hour of a loud and bumpy ride we arrived at Paradise on earth, Maya Bay. They gave us about an hour to explore, relax, and enjoy. Next, we departed Maya Bay and sailed for 2 minutes to Pi Leh Lagoon. The boat docked, and we took them up on their offer for a ride around the Lagoon for 45 minutes in a 6 passanger Long Boat while the rest of the boat passangers got to swim. Only 2 other passangers agreed, so the cost came out to be about $20. Next, the boat picked us up and we took about a 5 minute boat ride to Monkey Beach. We spent about 15 minutes there watching monkeys roaming around the beach and jumping on people. We just stood far away because I read one too many stories. Next, we sailed about 2 minutes away from the beach and went snorkeling for about 30 minutes. We then sailed 2 minutes to the main part of Phi Phi where we ate lunch and walked around. About an hour later we hopped back on the boat and headed to Khai Nok Island. Once we arrived, the locals collected about 30 cents per person. When my wife and I sat down on a beach chair that was laid out on the beach, someone came over to collect a little over $4. I also took out a Jetski for 30 minutes which was about $30 (The guy made me come back after 20 minutes not sure why, wasn't going to argue). We then sailed to Phuket and headed back to our hotel, picked up our luggage, we had Chabad deliver our dinner, then took a taxi and checked into
the Terrace Whirlpool Room at the Hyatt Regency.

Speed Boat Transfer, Phi Phi Island bound

Heaven on Earth, Maya Bay

Long Tail Boat, Pi Leh Lagoon

Monkey Beach, Phi Phi Island

Good Bye Phi Phi

Khai Nok Island

Jetsking in crystal clear water, Khai Nok Island

Terrace Whirlpool Room, Hyatt Regency

Day 14 Phuket: We checked out of the Hyatt Regency and took a 5 minute taxi to the Keemala. This was my favorite hotel, the hotel is in a jungle. The amount of detail was unfathomable. They even had fresh coffee beans with hand grinder and a pour over glass. This might be a little controversial. I had someone deliver a motor bike to the hotel for $6 a day. It took me a bit to get used to it, I drove to and from Chabad for lunch myself, and by then my wife was willing to hop on. We then drove to Keemala Beach and relaxed till sunset.

Some sort of lemon drink, Keemala Resort

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

Tent Pool Villa, Keemala

My favorite part of hotel, hence my username

Keemala Beach

Delicious dinner, Chabad Phuket

Day 15 Phuket: Today was our last full day in Thailand. We spent our time exploring the greens in the resort and obviously taking advantage of our private pool. We then took a PCR test located about 5 minutes from hotel.

Resort View, Keemala

Resort View, Keemala

Resort View, Keemala

Public Pool, Keemala

This costed like $6 from Chabad Phuket

Day 16 Phuket/Duabi: We checked out of our hotel, and the guy who delivered our bike was waiting for me to pick it up. We them took a Taxi to HKT, stopped in one of PP lounges there, then took off to SIN. We headed to the SATS Premium Lounge where we showered and ate, then took off to DXB. Once arrived in Dubai I exchanged $20, and took a taxi to the Park Hyatt we we checked into the Lagoon Beach Room. This room was actually a higher cash rate than the suite, and I highly recommend it. It's ground level with access to the Adults Pool with a makeshift beach and really cool view. We then had The Kosher Place deliver our dinner which costed about a weeks worth of dinner from Chabads in Thailand.

SIN

SIN

Lagoon Beach Room, Park Hyatt

Lagoon Beach Room, Park Hyatt

It's the thought that counts, Park Hyatt

Forgot the dish, The Kosher Place

Room View, Park Hyatt

Day 17 Dubai: We relaxed on at the pool for a nice bit before checking out and leaving out luggage with hotel. Then we took a taxi to The Dubai Mall where we spent most of our day. We also checked out the Dubai Fountain, and went to Armani Kaf for dinner. The food is actually really good, but very expensive. Next, we took a taxi to pick up our luggage, and then to DXB. We relaxed and showered in the Ahlan Business Lounge, and then flew back to Israel.

Public Pool, Park Hyatt

Santorini Vibes, Park Hyatt

Adult Pool, Park Hyatt

Resort Golf Cart, Park Hyatt

Burj Khalifa

Aramani Kaf

Aramani Kaf

Aramani Kaf

Aramani Kaf

Aramani Kaf

Dubai Fountain View from Aramani Kaf

Ahlan Business Lounge, DXB

Thailand Notes:
• Make sure to either have lots of cash or a debit card. Unless bank refunds ATM fee, I recommend cash since ATM fees are expensive and exchanges being cheap (less than 1% difference). Almost everywhere we went they didn't accept credit card. Remember your passport for exchanging cash.

• Locals are very nice, but they do try ripping you off, make sure to use Bolt App for taxi or Grab when Bolt is not available. Always get a price beforehand or use meter. Tuk Tuks should be 50 baht for a 3 minute drive or 100 for a 10 minute drive, if a driver is not willing to give this price start walking away you'd be surprise how fast they'll give you "your price". Almost everywhere you go, you need to bargain if you don't want to get ripped off.

• You don't want to go to random massage places, do research before you go.

• Most if not all Chabad restaurants open after 12pm so it might be worthwhile bringing some food with you, for example if you go on a day trip at 8am you'll have something to eat.

If you made it all the way here, thanks for reading.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 12:28:27 PM »
Great TR and pics, thanks for sharing!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 06:16:08 PM »
Always a pleasure.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 04:49:35 AM »
thanks for sharing!
really enjoy your writing style

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 05:41:32 AM »
thanks for sharing!
really enjoy your writing style
Thanks, never heard that before.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 05:55:23 AM »
Very nice report. Thanks a lot.

Offline gns

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 03:13:21 PM »
great job @coffeebean

Offline sam28

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2022, 05:30:15 PM »
Great TR and Pictures thanks for sharing

Offline MGrossman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 01:48:50 AM »
Great TR, Nice pics.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »
Nice TR. Gives me hope #itsnevertoolate :P
I turn 54 tomorrow. You're actually welcomed to my bd party.

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »
Great TR, Nice pics.
Did @EliyahuF send you here?😉

Offline coffeebean

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 01:22:52 PM »
Nice TR. Gives me hope #itsnevertoolate :P
I hope people realized I was joking.

Offline MGrossman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2022, 07:02:29 PM »
Great TR. keep it up.

Offline nowski18

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2024, 06:28:48 PM »
how did you get terrace whirlpool room at hyatt regency?

Offline Mareh Makom

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2024, 07:14:21 AM »
Wow, awesome TR