Author Topic: Who Or What Pissed You Off Today? Vent Here!  (Read 28464 times)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Who Or What Pissed You Off Today? Vent Here!
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2023, 05:41:49 PM »
It's their event. Why shouldn't they be treated special?

When you make a party, you can let your kids skip lines.

Reminds me of a story of a local gvir who sponsored a lavish breakfast on Reb shayala's yahrtzeit. He skipped the line at the scrambled eggs station but the caterer's guy there knew no chachmos, there is a line and you'll wait in line like everyone else. Things escalated quickly and it didn't end pretty.  :-X  Paid for kavod and got terrible bizyonos.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2023, 08:49:01 PM »
It's their event. Why shouldn't they be treated special?

When you make a party, you can let your kids skip lines.
I can understand both perspectives here. There are two things that immediately stand out to me. For one, there's no real reason to make the Shomrim kids feel more entitled; it's going to cause unnecessary jealousy. Secondly, if it's your party and you bring your kids with you to pass the line, it's no big deal. Everyone knows you're the owner, and it's understood that it's an exception. On the other hand, making an official wristband for half of the community, allowing them to skip the line repeatedly while all the children just watch them helplessly pass them time and time again, that's quite different. If they'd like to, they can make a Shomrim-only event and not invite everyone.
Just my two cents.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2023, 11:05:46 PM »
I can understand both perspectives here. There are two things that immediately stand out to me. For one, there's no real reason to make the Shomrim kids feel more entitled; it's going to cause unnecessary jealousy. Secondly, if it's your party and you bring your kids with you to pass the line, it's no big deal. Everyone knows you're the owner, and it's understood that it's an exception. On the other hand, making an official wristband for half of the community, allowing them to skip the line repeatedly while all the children just watch them helplessly pass them time and time again, that's quite different. If they'd like to, they can make a Shomrim-only event and not invite everyone.
Just my two cents.
Makes sense.

I guess it kinda depends how bad the skipping is and how many kids are doing it.

Like skip once per hour not stay on the ride over and over.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2023, 05:55:50 AM »
Rav Nochum Stilerman, Shlita (the "Man with the Plan") told me that after the Rosh Yeshiva zatzal was niftar, the yeshiva was behind in paying the avrechim. They asked him to leave retirement and help train the staff to fundraise properly (that was his profession before he retired). Anyway, a month later the yeshiva was caught up.
They had given him an office, and one evening the yeshiva borrowed it to give out checks. He tried to get in to get his coat and they (not knowing he was the primary reason they were getting the check in the first place) made him wait on line like everyone else... Being the onov he is, he simply took it as a siman he wasn't supposed to leave yet (at least afterwards - he acknowledged being perturbed at the time).
Sometimes you aren't supposed to get sechar in olam hazeh - the olam hasheker - for your chesed. It surely is better for you if you don't.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2023, 09:05:13 AM »
Makes sense.

I guess it kinda depends how bad the skipping is and how many kids are doing it.

Like skip once per hour not stay on the ride over and over.

If you want to treat the families of the volonteers for what they do to help, good, make something for them.
If you are making  a comunity event, and want to give your vollonteers familys something extra - OK, give them extended hours, or tickets to skip the lines a limited amount of times

Sounds like it was a good idea, poor exicution.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2023, 09:35:51 AM »
or tickets to skip the lines a limited amount of times

Sounds like it was a good idea, poor execution.
Ya, that would make more sense.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2023, 03:29:14 PM »
Every fly I killed today was 100,000 terrorists.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2023, 07:56:35 PM »
https://twitter.com/UN_HRC/status/1711426746036244847

“Elsewhere” ?😡😡
The UNHRC should be declared a terrorist organization.

The moment of silence was probably for the innocent people shooting rockets from their schools and hospitals in Gaza.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2023, 03:21:58 AM »
The UNHRC should be declared a terrorist organization.

The moment of silence was probably for the innocent people shooting rockets from their schools and hospitals in Gaza.
Times UK yesterday:

Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2023, 09:31:35 AM »
Seriously that’s all you could come up with? Not enough news to schmooze about, so you had to find something to keep you busy??
I was debating whether or not to bring it up but since the Minchas Ani was referenced I’ll point out that he says that a year that the Shofar is not blown on Shabbos is set to be either a unusually good one or a horribly bad one. The deciding factor, he says, is that the fact that Klal Yisrael refrains from blowing to guard the shabbos and prevent carrying is a zechus that changes the outcome of the year. However, he says, those individuals that do not keep the other Shabbosim of the year lose the zechus and then the tragic שנה שאין תוקעים בתחילתה takes effect.

What is frightening is that the thrust of the attack and casualties were by a shabbos desecrating music, drug and alcohol party celebrated by thousands. The lions share of the additional attacks and casualties were by the non shomer shabbos kibbutzim in the proximity.
1) There are conflicting sources whether one must consciously choose to die when offered the option of living if he were to convert or renounce Hashem in order to be considered the above, or if merely being targeted for being a Jew without having an active choice suffices.

2) We do say 6 million kedoshim in the vernacular so there is some נטיה toward the latter.

3) It is obvious that whatever one will say about their “place in gan Eden”, their schar for being gunned down at a ecstasy and meth, raunchy free love event while in a drugged drunken state is not the same as Rabbi Akiva (or Reb Elchonon) who perfected himself his whole life before dying על קידוש השם which his mind fully focused on his love for Hashem with the word אחד.

4) Although there were gedolim who felt they could give reasons for the Holocaust (Rav Avigdor Miller has an entire book A Devine Madness devoted to the spiritual decay which he saw first hand as a bochur in Europe and felt was the cause of the Holocaust) that has nothing to do with the present discussion. It is fully acceptable and quite widespread to discuss zechusim, mitzvos etc. that saved some individuals or even kehillos from the gezeira of the Holocaust. It is not akin to claiming to know why the others were punished.

The מנחת עני is the same. It does not claim to know why Hashem orchestrated that Rosh Hashana fell out on shabbos which is an indication that there is a potential extreme gezeira hanging over klal yisroel. No one claims to know WHY the gezeira was in force in the first place. It merely says that שמירת שבת is the single zechus that can protect those who observe it, from the gezeira. It doesn’t mean that every שומר שבת will definitely be saved either; several are on the list of casualties. The מנחת עני is still uncannily relevant in the current מצב.
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »
@liosac what’s your goal? You won’t bring the Geula any closer, so sh.. .. and keep your thoughts in your pockets. Thanks.
Are you serious?!
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2023, 10:12:03 AM »
Seriously that’s all you could come up with? Not enough news to schmooze about, so you had to find something to keep you busy??
I have no idea why this gets your goat.

Offline imayid2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2023, 10:28:26 AM »
He wrote a well articulated and eloquent post non acrimoniously explaining some important points. Feel free to civilly express why you disagree or found it offensive, but your bizarre ad hominem response is what rightfully belongs to this thread.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2023, 09:58:43 PM »
The constant posts claiming they know why G-d did something.  >:(
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2023, 09:59:43 PM »

This should go in the pet peeve thread as well. Drives me nuts.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2023, 11:01:31 PM »

Glad I missed this part of the discussion. Sickens me every time.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2023, 11:18:03 PM »
Glad I missed this part of the discussion. Sickens me every time.
Let me get some links for you.  :P
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2023, 11:19:37 PM »
Let me get some links for you. 
We were doing so well, I hadn't even brought out my elephant on potato chip post